A Question Concerning Australia Postage

Old January 26th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Coinenthusiast

Default A Question Concerning Australia Postage

Howdy;

Are the issues of the Australia "colonies" valid for use
in Australia proper? I know that Australian Antarctic
Territory are but what about Christmas Island, Nauru,
Norfolk, etc?

Regards

Dan

Old January 27th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

G'day Dan,

from page 13 of aust post postage guide
http://cjoint.com/data/bBaTBhUxjn.htm

HTH

Old January 27th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Coinenthusiast

Howdy;

My THANKS!

Regards

Dan

Old January 27th 08, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 26, 7:11 pm, "Coinenthusiast" wrote:
Howdy;

My THANKS!

Regards

Dan

"rodney" wrote in message

G'day Dan,

from page 13 of aust post postage guide
http://cjoint.com/data/bBaTBhUxjn.htm

HTH

"Coinenthusiast" wrote in message
.. .
Howdy;

Are the issues of the Australia "colonies" valid for use
in Australia proper? I know that Australian Antarctic
Territory are but what about Christmas Island, Nauru,
Norfolk, etc?

Regards

Dan

Interesting to note that Norfolk
Island stamps are NOT valid in Oz.

Blair
Old January 27th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Interesting to note that Norfolk Island stamps are NOT valid in Oz.

Norfolk Island is a self governing territory of Australia, not part of any
state but subject to the overall authority of the Commonwealth Government.
The limits of its self government are covered by Commonwealth statute.

The Norfolk Island Act
http://www.aph.gov.au/House/committe...lkIsland79.pdf
- gives an island administrator power of many functions including (Schedule
2 item 36) 'Postal Services'.

The Aus PO would not welcome Norfolk Island collecting the cash for postal
services in the rest of the country.

Hence the independence.

Australian stamps are presumably not valid on Norfolk for the same sort of
reason (?- that is a question).

Old January 27th 08, 07:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Howdy;
My THANKS!
Regards
Dan

Your'e welcome, Dan,
now we just need to convert you over to stamps

Old January 27th 08, 07:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair (TC)"
Interesting to note that Norfolk
Island stamps are NOT valid in Oz.
Blair

Thanks to Gazza, I understand a little more on the quirks of NI.
More can be understood by reading this preamble of their
own, and first murder on the island, and their attitude
towards Australia.
http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/...ticle_1586.asp

Old January 27th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rein

Rodney,

How does the Post levy this GST when you're using stamps for domestic
purposes that don't bear 'International Post"??

groetjes, Rein

"What is the GST?

The Goods and Services Tax (GST) in Australia is a Value Added Tax (VAT)
on the supply of goods and services in Australia.

It was introduced by the Federal Government with the A New Tax System
(Goods and Services Tax) Act 1999, taking effect from July 1 2000. The
basic premise of the new tax was to broaden the tax base, which was
heavily biased toward the provision of services.

Prior to the GST, Australia operated a Wholesale Sales Tax (WST) which
imposed a tax on wholesales of goods. The WST was implemented in the 30's
when Australia had an economy dominated by goods. Over the years however,
Australia's economy evolved to be more services based, and the GST served
to strip the unfair tax advantage that service providing businesses had
over suppliers of goods.

The GST is levied at a flat rate of 10% on most goods and services, apart
from gst exempt items, and input taxed goods and services."

Op Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:46:17 +0100 schreef rodney
:

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Old January 28th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

G'day Rein,
I wished you hadn't asked that question
I am feeble in the knowledge therein.

The best I can do is a guess,
and what I have always thought, is that the 10% charged on the use of
internal postage stamps on international mail, is to offset the GST tax
credits
customers are entitled to claim for that particular postage.
I have often sent international mail via internal stamps, and kick myself
for not
checking what I was charged, and whether the 10% was included threrin.

If you so desire, I can send you a 3Mb pdf on the "general" post office
guidelines that may cover this in scrutiny.
I now you have a very enquiring mind
Please advise if you would like it.

Rod.

news

Old January 28th 08, 09:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

"Rein" wrote in message

[...]

. ..
Howdy;

Are the issues of the Australia "colonies" valid for use
in Australia proper? I know that Australian Antarctic
Territory are but what about Christmas Island, Nauru,
Norfolk, etc?

Regards

Dan

http://www.opera.com/mail/

As I understand it (and the Goods and Services Tax has driven stronger
men than me to spirituous liquors) domestic postage is free of GST,
but international mail isn't. That is why we are supposed to use only
International stamps on international mail.

Tony Mac Gillycuddy