RCSD - Storing Self-Adhesive Stamps?

Old January 18th 08, 07:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Fred Ziffle[_2_]

Default RCSD - Storing Self-Adhesive Stamps?

What sort of surface or backing do you store used self-adhesive stamps
on? I've received letters/tubes with stamps that peel off very easily.
That's nice for preservation of some gum and all, but they still have
enough adhesive to make storing them a challenge.
Old January 18th 08, 07:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hiya Fred,
personally, I adopt "all or nothing"
Mint full gum, I store on backing.
Used I soak, untill all gum removed,
The examples with spots of gum remaining are nasty blighters
and will "grab and attach" to any siblings nearby.
Pure talc does help, but I discard unless high value.

Old January 19th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jan 18, 2:54*am, "rodney" wrote:
Hiya Fred,
personally, I adopt "all or nothing"
Mint full gum, I store on backing.
Used I soak, untill all gum removed,
The examples with spots of gum remaining are nasty blighters
and will "grab and attach" to any siblings nearby.
Pure talc does help, but I discard unless high value.

"Fred Ziffle" wrote in message

What sort of surface or backing do you store used self-adhesive stamps
on? I've received letters/tubes with stamps that peel off very easily.
That's nice for preservation of some gum and all, but they still have
enough adhesive to make storing them a challenge.- Hide quoted text -

"all or nothing" is the only way to go. If they are not Mint wash
the glue off. It makes it much easier to mount the stamps. Remember
Mint means just like they came from the printer, full gum.and never
hinged.
The mint stamps I stick on shiny side of backing, similiar to Avery
label backing, leaving a noticable border all around to identify as
self adhesiueve and then put in a mount.

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old January 20th 08, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:19:51 -0800 (PST), Ralphael1
wrote:

On Jan 18, 2:54*am, "rodney" wrote:
[...]

One may want to buy one of those mini-sheets with plenty of backing on
them, use the amount of stamps you don't want to keep and then recycle
the backing for other stamps.

I have to wonder how long an S/A stamp will adhere to the original
backing -OR- to a transplanted backing.

At least they are not like the 1st U.S. S/A that are notorious for
some very weird reactions - like not soaking off the paper!

Tracy
Old January 20th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Fred Ziffle[_2_]

Thanks folks -

I'll go with "all or nothing".

Old January 21st 08, 12:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "rodney" wrote:

Hiya Fred,
personally, I adopt "all or nothing"
Mint full gum, I store on backing.
Used I soak, untill all gum removed,
The examples with spots of gum remaining are nasty blighters
and will "grab and attach" to any siblings nearby.
Pure talc does help, but I discard unless high value.

Are there ANY high-value self-adhesive stamps?

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old January 28th 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

I think a word of caution is in order here. Has anyone yet ascertained
what the long-term result of storing self-adhesive stamps on the
original backing paper is? Is there likely to be a problem with the
"gum" doing irreperable damage if it stays attached over a period of
time? I know that with some stamps there is a problem with them
sticking to the envelopes if not used within quite a short time of
purchase - is this because the "gum" is seeping into the stamps rather
than staying on the back.

It is not a problem for me as I only collect used - but if I collected
mint I think I might be worried!

Malcolm

Old January 28th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"malcolm"
I think a word of caution is in order here. Has anyone yet ascertained
what the long-term result of storing self-adhesive stamps on the
original backing paper is? Malcolm

The progress of gum development prevents a broad consensus.
I know of documented evidence the early self adhesives of Australia
became adrift of backing paper some 4 years after issue.
They seem to have addressed that problem since.

Old January 28th 08, 01:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"malcolm"
I think a word of caution is in order here. Has anyone yet ascertained
what the long-term result of storing self-adhesive stamps on the
original backing paper is?

Something to read for opinions perhaps, Malcolm.
http://www.linns.com/howto/refresher...shercourse.asp