Points for "I, Robot" 1st Edition, please

Old February 24th 05, 09:42 PM
Dave

Default Points for "I, Robot" 1st Edition, please

What are the points for the First Edition of "I, Robot"?
I am missing the DJ, but the book has red boards and spine, with gold
print and gold robot embossed on it.

Any help is appreciated.

Dave
Old February 25th 05, 03:44 PM
Len

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:42:22 GMT, Dave wrote:
What are the points for the First Edition of "I, Robot"?
I am missing the DJ, but the book has red boards and spine, with gold
print and gold robot embossed on it.
Any help is appreciated.

Dave

I had a true 1st of "I Robot" last year, and it had the title, author,
& publisher on the spine, and a small device on the front cover, all
stamped in black (not gilt); the cloth was a dark cherry colour. It
was published in 1950 by the Gnome Press, but the book was also issued
in 1950 [1951?] by Doubleday as a SFBCE. If yours is a Doubleday,
it's not a true 1st.

Len
Old February 25th 05, 09:47 PM

Currey just says first edition stated. The 2002 edition of Currey also
notes that the armed forces paperback was printed later, but retains
the first edition slug. (Chalker Owings further notes a price of $2.50
on the dj.)

If it says Gnome Press, and First Edition is stated, AND it's not the
fascimile edition (released quite recently; only a concern if your copy
looks absolutely new), then you likely have a first.

Lawrence Person
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Old March 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
Dave

On 25 Feb 2005 13:47:28 -0800, wrote:

Currey just says first edition stated. The 2002 edition of Currey also
notes that the armed forces paperback was printed later, but retains
the first edition slug. (Chalker Owings further notes a price of $2.50
on the dj.)

If it says Gnome Press, and First Edition is stated, AND it's not the
fascimile edition (released quite recently; only a concern if your copy
looks absolutely new), then you likely have a first.

Lawrence Person
http://home.austin.rr.com/lperson/lame.html

Thanks for the information.

Now for a question- in this copy of mine is a signature on the 2nd
free page that is NOT Asimov's. Even if it says "Issac Asimov".
Absolutely, positively not an authentic signature, not from early in
his life or later. How would should I list this in the description of
the book?

Thanks,

Dave
Old March 2nd 05, 01:36 AM
Gnome De Plume

Dave wrote:

[...]

Designate it as a 'spurious enscribement - NOT the author's signature',
and say nothing more about it other than to give its location in the
book, and to say whether it is in pencil or ink...do, however, take it
into consideration when designating the book's condition and value.

--

Swimming in the rivers of light.