Harper and Brothers verses Harper and Row

Old August 28th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

Default Harper and Brothers verses Harper and Row

I have a book called "The Book of Indian Crafts and Indian Lore" by
Julian Harris Salomon. I believe I have
tracked it down to a later printing but it was an interesting
process. I notice some dealers listing expensive copies as "Harper
and Row. 1928." and other dealers listing it as "Harper and Brothers.
1928." There are also other printings of this book listed, up to 25
or so. When did Harper and Brothers change their name to Harper and
Row? My copy says, "Harper and Row. 1928" and has no indication
that it is a later printing. Some reprints have $4.95 on the dust
jacket but I have no dust jacket with this copy. It doesn';t quite
look 80 years old, I wonder when the
book was actually reprinted.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Old August 29th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

RS wrote:
[...]

Harper and Brothers merged with Row, Peterson & Co. in 1962,
forming Harper & Row. Murdoch acquired Harper & Row in 1987
and William Collins & Sons in 1990, and merged them into
Harper Collins.

Using the following guide, you should be able to tell the
month and year that harper printed that book:
http://www.lazylionbooks.com/identifyingfirsts.htm

--
Francis A. Miniter

Oscuramente