Grading a raw 1908 Gold Quarter Eagle from images

Old February 13th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Whata Fool

Default Grading a raw 1908 Gold Quarter Eagle from images

Maybe I should have had it slabbed, I inherited this coin
and am not interested in owning high premium coins so I put
it on ebay starting at 99 cents, I always found that bidders
knew more about value than I do. Item 330211569555

After listing it, I looked at other auction images, and am
wondering if my images are just better, or if others value
their coins highly.

280199658652

260205407057

Do you think somebody should slab this coin?

Old February 13th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour[_2_]

Whata Fool wrote:
Maybe I should have had it slabbed, I inherited this coin
and am not interested in owning high premium coins so I put
it on ebay starting at 99 cents, I always found that bidders
knew more about value than I do. Item 330211569555

After listing it, I looked at other auction images, and am
wondering if my images are just better, or if others value
their coins highly.

280199658652

260205407057

Do you think somebody should slab this coin?

Hint: Links make this kind of thing much easier.

Your auction:

Competitors auctions:
(NGC) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280199658652
(Raw) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260205407057

Assuming your coin is legit, I'd expect it to sell for $200 to $300
(based on previously closed eBay auctions). Although your pictures are
a little out of focus, so that might reduce things a touch.

The BIG unknown, though, is whether it's a counterfeit - and as I
understand it, that's a *real* problem with gold coins. As such,
bidders will probably discount their bids to account for this risk.

Paying to have it slabbed would effectively settle this issue - but
since it will cost you $30+ to get it slabbed, you might not net much
additional money.

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 13th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Feb 13, 12:25*pm, Whata Fool wrote:
* * * * Maybe I should have had it slabbed, I inherited this coin
and am not interested in owning high premium coins so I put
it on ebay starting at 99 cents, I always found that bidders
knew more about value than I do. * *Item * 330211569555

* * * * After listing it, I looked at other auction images, and am
wondering if my images are just better, or if others value
their coins highly.

280199658652 *

260205407057

* * * * * Do you think somebody should slab this coin?

I think you should have slabbed the coin to obtain maximum profit.

Also, you state that the coin is sold "as is". This creates a bunch
of red flags, especially for a gold coin. It could be fake for all I
know.

Old February 13th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Whata Fool

Jim Seymour wrote:

Whata Fool wrote:
[...]

I am certain my grandmother and aunt had it since they
were recalled in 1933, it might have even been part of the room
and board payed by two men who were working building the
Gold Vault.

Paying to have it slabbed would effectively settle this issue - but
since it will cost you $30+ to get it slabbed, you might not net much
additional money.

I live in the sticks, and had to consider the risk in having
it slabbed. Not having a MS coin like it for comparison
really makes it difficult to grade.

Thanks for the info, everybody.

Old February 14th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:25:38 -0500, Whata Fool wrote:

Maybe I should have had it slabbed, I inherited this coin
and am not interested in owning high premium coins so I put
it on ebay starting at 99 cents, I always found that bidders
knew more about value than I do. Item 330211569555

After listing it, I looked at other auction images, and am
wondering if my images are just better, or if others value
their coins highly.

280199658652

260205407057

Do you think somebody should slab this coin?

What do you mean "Please use Paypal, insurance required"?

You can't require insurance be purchased over-and-above your stated
S&H.

--

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old February 14th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Whata Fool

tony cooper wrote:

What do you mean "Please use Paypal, insurance required"?

You can't require insurance be purchased over-and-above your stated
S&H.

Thanks for telling me.

Old February 14th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bill Dukenfield

Jim Seymour wrote:

Whata Fool wrote:
[...]

This one