UACC Registered Dealers

Old March 5th 06, 03:54 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Default UACC Registered Dealers

So, let me get this right. If someone is a UACC Registered Dealer, the
chances of getting scammed are virtually non existent, or is this a dodgy
area as well?

I check the UACC website to see if they are and if they are then its OK? If
they are not and are statin they are is there someone you can speak to about
that?

Apart from the obvious sites which ive been given to check some signatures
against are there any point of reference sites to match things im going to
buy against things someone else has got?

If I take a picture of the ones I have and put them on my website would you
guys be willing to have a look and advise me to the best of your knowledge
if they are legit or not?

BR

Max

Old March 5th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Max wrote:
So, let me get this right. If someone is a UACC Registered Dealer,
the chances of getting scammed are virtually non existent, or is this
a dodgy area as well?

vurtually nonexistant is so vague. Even honest folks make mistakes from
time to time. A more useful answer is you're probably a lot better dealing
with a UACC Registered Dealer or any long time standing Autograph Dealer of
good reputation then buying an autograph at your local boutique, comic shop
or shudder eBay. However one thing to keep in mind is that the UACC only
arbitrates disputes between members, so if you're not a member and have a
dispute with a UACC Registered Dealer you're on your own resolving it.

I check the UACC website to see if they are and if they are then its
OK? If they are not and are statin they are is there someone you can
speak to about that?

Apart from the obvious sites which ive been given to check some
signatures against are there any point of reference sites to match
things im going to buy against things someone else has got?

One thing to watch for is someone claiming to be a UACC Registered Dealer
who isn't, this has happened a few times. The UACC takes dim view of this
and last I looked had a page on their site listing such dealers.

If I take a picture of the ones I have and put them on my website
would you guys be willing to have a look and advise me to the best of
your knowledge if they are legit or not?

If you post them and put links here I'm sure several people will offer their
advice. I don't know what autographs you're looking at so they may not be
ones I'm familiar with. Still I'm sure someone here will know them.

BR

Max

Old March 5th 06, 07:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

The UACC can expell members who sell forged stuff, but though that's
good, Nobody is a perfect expert on signatures and fakes get in
everywhere. Even UACC stuff. Always research everything. That's the
best thing no matter what. But being UACC is about building a good
reputation so most who join try to be clean etc. However anyone who
pays the dues I think can join? They might screen a little I don'
tknow to what extent.

Besides UACC etc. the only thing you can do is get opinions from those
who got in person or something. But you have to trust the people.
Also that page I gave you of people who specialize in certain sigs is
good though there's not a lot on it (better than nothing). Also on my
site I've started (but it's only got 30 plus names right now) a
signature database with official licesnsed signatures...
endorsements/legal sigs. I'm trying my best to put up things like
experts names, good dealers, bad dealers, suspect Ebayers, signatures
in that database etc but I am alone doing this and not many
submissions or help with anything. If others are doing these things,
I don't know about it.

You can ask people here for help; just ask for a scan or something of
a name you are looking for. Take three good examples from different
people to compare to if possible. Compare your sigs to that and look
for things like slant, certain stylized letters, closeness/wideness of
letter spacing (for example Warwick Davis and Haden Christensen are
rounder, close letters in a short area rather than stretched out).
Stuff like that. Look for someone copying letters backwards, stop and
start lines (most write fluidly in one or two swoops while forgers are
deliberate in forging and tend to lift off the page more). Stuff like
that.

Hope that helps.

Old March 5th 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I interpret getting scammed in a few different ways, so I'll address them
accordingly. As a UACC Registered Dealer myself, if I were to "scam" you in
a way as to where I sent you a piece of garbage that wasn't what you'd
expected or was not as described, I'm required as a UACC RD to issue a
complete and immediate refund, or something comparable to meet your
satisfaction. Same goes if I sell you something, you pay for it, and never
receive it, I'm required to honor a refund or risk expulsion from the
Registered Dealer status, so the transaction end of a purchase from a
Registered Dealer is far superior to some average autograph dealer. This
goes for customer service and satisfaction as well. There is a 'Code of
Ethics' that all Registered Dealers must adhere to, otherwise be put before
a board of trustees to determine expulsion. As for the autographs, those
too are monitored by the other UACC RD members, as well as outside sources
who may voice their opinion but as previously stated, I believe only members
can seek action against members. The UACC RD program is the best available.
The members are all showing only authentic signatures and rarely if any are
UACC RD members accused of selling fakes. Is it possible it's happened, as
Sue stated, even the best make mistakes, so I'm sure it has, but again, this
is far superior to any alternative, as these members are screened, required
to be members of the UACC prior to entering the RD program, and then need
references, approval, etc, and now the RD program is limited in number, so
every aspect of this group of autograph dealers will be kept to the highest
standards. As far as help identifying signatures, you can compare to my
in-person example guide at www.autographpros.com under AUTHENTICATION, but
you can also email me directly with scans and background information, I'll
do my best to help you out. For more information about the UACC RD program
go he http://www.uacc.org/registered.htm

--
Michael Kasmar
www.AutographPros.com