Rowe R-91 sound problem

Old February 16th 05, 12:10 AM
diverdwn

Default Rowe R-91 sound problem

I am still having some issues with the sound on my r-91.
I am still not getting anything out of the left side even though I have
switched the driver boards around. This should have made a difference
if it was the boards. I can't even get sound out of the left side in
the mono mode either.
The only time I get sound out of the left is when I switch the pink and
violet wires on the transformer lugs. Then the right goes dead. Could
this be possible that one of the output transformers is bad??
If so, where can I get one?
Thanks for any help!!
Chris

Old February 16th 05, 01:29 AM
KLR

On 15 Feb 2005 16:10:33 -0800, "diverdwn" wrote:

I am still having some issues with the sound on my r-91.
I am still not getting anything out of the left side even though I have
switched the driver boards around. This should have made a difference
if it was the boards. I can't even get sound out of the left side in
the mono mode either.
The only time I get sound out of the left is when I switch the pink and
violet wires on the transformer lugs. Then the right goes dead. Could
this be possible that one of the output transformers is bad??
If so, where can I get one?
Thanks for any help!!
Chris

I can't say I have ever seen an output transformer fail in all 24
years of working with many many Rowes. You could remove the
transformer box though and check the connections underneath are ok -
but I doubt its the actual problem here.

If you swap the pink and violet leads and the sound moves sides - then
the problem is obviously in the ampilifier. I would check that one
side of the cartridge isnt stuffed. (this is pretty common with
Rowes)
-reverse the cartridge plug to test this.
-Check the volume control wiring (those spade lugs under the terminal
strip tend to break apart and fall off - or look ok but not actually
be connecting). These wires should be soldered directly.
-also the pre-amp is suspect now, if other tests fail.

Finally - swap the driver boards back in their right place, usually
they are set up for the output transistors (Idle current etc)
Old February 16th 05, 02:15 AM
Thomas Teeter

I can help you out with the part if what you really need is the output
transformer.But like KLR said, these don't normally go bad... What
happens when you swap the phono cartridge plug into the amplifier?

Thomas
E-mail: thomasteeter(at)absolutelygreatgames.com
Ebay ID: absolutelygreatgames

Old February 16th 05, 06:44 AM
diverdwn

When I swap the phono cartride plug the sound still only comes out of
the right side. Everything seems to be in order with the tone arm,
wires etc.,so this is very puzzling.
I know a transformer is the last thing to look for, but I can't help to
think this is it.
The only other thing that is out of order is the 13 pin connector on
the amp.
I do not have a jumper from 2 to 7 like the book says. I am not sure
that this matters though. This thing to me can't be a driver board
because when I switched them the sound still only comes out of the
right side. It is frustrating to me, but I know we can figure this out.
Once again, THANKS for all of the help.
It's great to know there are people out there like you that are willing
to lend a hand.
Chris

Old February 16th 05, 10:59 AM
KLR

On 15 Feb 2005 22:44:28 -0800, "diverdwn" wrote:

When I swap the phono cartride plug the sound still only comes out of
the right side. Everything seems to be in order with the tone arm,
wires etc.,so this is very puzzling.
I know a transformer is the last thing to look for, but I can't help to
think this is it.
The only other thing that is out of order is the 13 pin connector on
the amp.
I do not have a jumper from 2 to 7 like the book says. I am not sure
that this matters though. This thing to me can't be a driver board
because when I switched them the sound still only comes out of the
right side. It is frustrating to me, but I know we can figure this out.
Once again, THANKS for all of the help.
It's great to know there are people out there like you that are willing
to lend a hand.
Chris

Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. Depends on who asks and how
they ask probably

Anyway - I have looked at a R-91 I have in workshop right now, and
Pins are jumpered as follows

1,3
2,7
5,9
6,8
(From how I look at the plug - the pin 1 is to the TOP of the
ampilifier.)

Since all the audio signals go through this plug, then if a wire is
off - its VERY LIKELY to be the trouble cause.

I know that with Laserstar amps, if you reverse the plug accidentally,
you will lose the sound from ONE channel just as you describe. This
is likely the case here, as from memory Im sure that the plug wiring
is identical

Old February 16th 05, 10:33 PM
diverdwn

Well, it seems as though I might have cooked both driver boards now.
I got a hold of a 13 pin connector with the proper jumpers, and when I
powered the juke up it made a real loud buzz for 2 seconds before I
could get the thing off. Now there is no sound at all. It looks like
the little black piece on both driver boards at (Q5 & Q8) got hot or
something because there is a little smoke residue there. Now I am
really lost on what would cause this to happen. I definitely have to
get to the bottom of this problem before I try to put boards in or I'll
loose them again. I just got this juke a little while back and somebody
else must have had this problem, because the jumper was never there.
If you can think of anything I could do, I would appreciate the help.
Thanks again,
Chris

Old February 17th 05, 03:42 AM
Jim Murphy

I would be looking deeper into the amp. I have often found that the output
stage or the driver transistor directly ahead of the output stage is bad.
Often time they will take out a bias resistor with them when they go. If you
have a schematic and a voltmeter you can put the amp on the bench and verify
voltages throughout the amp and isolate the problem. If you have no clue
what I am talking abuout I suggest you find a qualified technician to repair
it for you or buy a known good amp for it. Jim

oups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 03:48 PM
Ken Layton

Output transistors on these go shorted which then take out the driver
transistor and a resistor (or two!) on the driver board before blowing
the fuse on the driver board.

The output transistors must have a mica insulator under them. Could
someone have replaced an output transistor with either an incorrect
type or forgotten the insulator (and silicone heat sink grease)?

Old February 18th 05, 03:34 AM
Don Lanway

All together now: "Send the amp to Bruce!"

www.abjukeboxrepair.com

oups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 06:42 AM
Robert Aker

AMEN !!! "Send the amp to Bruce!"

I'll even donate $5.00

"Don Lanway" wrote in message
All together now: "Send the amp to Bruce!"

www.abjukeboxrepair.com

"diverdwn" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, it seems as though I might have cooked both driver boards now.
I got a hold of a 13 pin connector with the proper jumpers, and when I
powered the juke up it made a real loud buzz for 2 seconds before I
could get the thing off. Now there is no sound at all. It looks like
the little black piece on both driver boards at (Q5 & Q8) got hot or
something because there is a little smoke residue there. Now I am
really lost on what would cause this to happen. I definitely have to
get to the bottom of this problem before I try to put boards in or I'll
loose them again. I just got this juke a little while back and somebody
else must have had this problem, because the jumper was never there.
If you can think of anything I could do, I would appreciate the help.
Thanks again,
Chris

Rockola 430 sound problem Rabbit in Headlights Juke Boxes 1 November 18th 04 12:18 AM
Rowe R-84 Hum and Sound Problems Paul Smith Juke Boxes 4 December 11th 03 12:42 AM
Annoying intermittent sound problem - Rockola Paul Smith Juke Boxes 4 November 20th 03 05:41 AM
Rowe R-82 Problem Tom Juke Boxes 1 September 20th 03 05:31 PM
Rowe JAO-200 Bandstand selection stopping problem KLR Juke Boxes 4 June 29th 03 09:55 AM