Wurlitzer 1080/1015 Selection Problems-Help

Old April 21st 12, 09:05 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
chris

Default Wurlitzer 1080/1015 Selection Problems-Help

Hello,
I have a Wurlitzer 1080 that would not select. I installed a free
play plug to try to overide the problem I figured I must of had with
the grinder. It still does not work. Is there a place I should focus
or test to try to figure out the problem? Thanks for any suggestions-
Chris
Old April 22nd 12, 05:14 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

chris wrote:
Hello,
I have a Wurlitzer 1080 that would not select. I installed a free
play plug to try to overide the problem I figured I must of had with
the grinder. It still does not work. Is there a place I should focus
or test to try to figure out the problem? Thanks for any suggestions-
Chris

Does the selection process push a pin out and/or start the mechanism
searching? If nothing happens then you can have a break in the keyboard
wiring.

The keyboard switches have to make a continuous connection to enable the
selection (As I recall) - I have jumpered past bad key switches in the
past to allow the selection process. The problem with doing this is you
can make two selections at the same time if you press the key that has
been jumpered and any other key. No a problem in home situations, but
could not be permitted for commercial use.

The schematics would help you find this path...I think you can download
them (poor quality) from Arcadeboneyard or buy a nice professional copy
from Victory Glass (extra info, nice clear prints).

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 23rd 12, 12:46 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
chris

Thank you for the response. When I press a selection key I get a buzz
from the junction box as the play counter is activated. That is all I
get, no magnet coils are activated on the selector wheel. Not all the
selections will activate the play counter so I assume I do have some
breaks in the wiring harness. So you think that the breaks in the wire
in the selection wiring harness will cause none of the selections to
cycle the mech? Thanks Again!-Chris
Old April 23rd 12, 06:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

chris wrote:
Thank you for the response. When I press a selection key I get a buzz
from the junction box as the play counter is activated. That is all I
get, no magnet coils are activated on the selector wheel. Not all the
selections will activate the play counter so I assume I do have some
breaks in the wiring harness. So you think that the breaks in the wire
in the selection wiring harness will cause none of the selections to
cycle the mech? Thanks Again!-Chris

Hi Chris,

Sorry, I dont' have the time to teach you how to read a schematic - but
it does indeed sound like some problems that may (or may not) be in the
keyboard switches. If you watch the keyboard switch action you will see
some sliding blades that make/break contact with spring metal clips to
complete or separate electrical connections. These spring clips or
sliding blades bend/distor/shift enough to not make a connection leading
to problems with selections.

Study the operation of these key switches. The majority will be correct
with one or more being different in behaviour - these are the ones to
try and fix or possibly bypass. Do be careful when attempting to bypass
as you can always make thing MUCH worse if you don't understand what you
are trying to accomplish!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old April 23rd 12, 02:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
chris

Thanks John-I will start trouble shooting there, I do have a set of
schematics. Thanks Again for your input!-Chris
Old June 19th 12, 08:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
chris

Selection number 1 will enegerize the magnet and start the mech and
complete the cycle. The remaining buttons will not energize the
magnets. I can not find any breaks in the daisy chain wiring any other
ideas. I appreciate any advice!
Old June 19th 12, 08:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

chris wrote:
Selection number 1 will enegerize the magnet and start the mech and
complete the cycle. The remaining buttons will not energize the
magnets. I can not find any breaks in the daisy chain wiring any other
ideas. I appreciate any advice!

Hi Chris,

Always best to quote the complete message - from the beginning, rather
than starting without any history.

So, the situation so far: (note how it makes sense to a newcomer as it
reads like a story...)

chris wrote:
Selection number 1 will enegerize the magnet and start the mech and
complete the cycle. The remaining buttons will not energize the
magnets. I can not find any breaks in the daisy chain wiring any other
ideas. I appreciate any advice!

So, now you check the switch banks for continuity between each number.
You will see that the blade switches and sliders create different
connections. Some are connected until the button is pressed, others open
up when the button is pressed. So the suspect here is on the 1st or 2nd
switch, the section that is closed until the button is pressed is not
working correctly and won't show continuity at some point in the series
switches.

I hope this makes enough sense to you so you can check it out better.
The problem is most likely in the 1st or 2nd selection switch. Watch how
those work, and check the next bank over to see how the blades and
connections work on the next group. I think you will eventually figure
it out!

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com