OT Cubs. Ouch, the pain is nearly unbearable

Old October 16th 03, 05:28 AM
DONDI3

Default OT Cubs. Ouch, the pain is nearly unbearable

This one really hurt. After the meltdown last night, I actually felt that the
Cub's would regroup and come back tonite and blow 'em away. It's totally
incomprehensible to me, how we lost those last 3 games...but at least they
spread the responsibility around!

Frankly, the year was a delight for me and I'm probably more of a Cub Diehard
now than I was last Spring. The future is very bright for this young team and
even these last 3 games will serve as an incentive for next year's effort. The
Cubs are often frustrating, but they do "entertain" me and that's what
baseball's for.

It's too bad these last 3 games and that poor schmuck in the stands are the
image we'll carry away, because having lost 95 games last year, they came all
the way back to the Central division championship and the brink of a National
League pennant.

I can't wait for April!

dondi3
DONDI enterprises. BUY, SELL, TRADE. RARE COINS & PRECIOUS METALS
Member COINNET, CSNS, ANA, INA, MOON, ILNA.
Old October 16th 03, 12:48 PM
Aram H. Haroutunian

DONDI3 wrote:

[...]

That's the spirit!! I have become a Cubs' fan.
Aram.
Old October 16th 03, 12:55 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

DONDI3 wrote:

[...]

You know what I like best about the Chicago Cubs? Chicago Cub fans. ;-)

Loyal, knowledgable die-hards, that bunch.

After the game, the camera showed a smiling guy with a hand-made sign,
magic marker on the back of a hot dog box, I think. "Thanks for a great season!"

By contrast, a crowd shot of Yankee Stadium headed into the bottom of
the 9th inning showed a packed exit as fans streamed out. It's Yankee
Fans that make it impossible for me to root for the pinstripes. Come
on, Boston, and do the impossible! Take two in a row on the road from
George's Boys!

Alan
'wants to live with the Pirates, they never beat anyone'
Old October 16th 03, 03:29 PM
Paul Anderson

In article , DONDI3
wrote:

This one really hurt.

My condolences to all of you in Chicago and elsewhere who are Cubs
fans. I was so looking forward to a Red Sox-Cubs World Series. If the
Sox win tonight, then at least one team who last won the World Series
before 1920 has a shot!

Paul

--
Paul Anderson
OpenVMS Engineering
Old October 16th 03, 04:09 PM
DONDI3

In article , "Aram H. Haroutunian"
writes:

That's the spirit!! I have become a Cubs' fan.
Aram.

Welcome to the fraternity. Unlike many previous years, next year holds great
promise. It takes some good luck to make the series under the playoff system
and the Cubs didn't have it this year...OTOH, without the playoffs their season
would have ended in September...so I guess there's always tradeoffs.

It was a wonderful season with many great moments. If history repeats, the
Cubs will be feted as much by Chicago in the coming weeks as most World Series
Champions are by other cities.

That, more than anything else, explains the Cubs' fans to outsiders.

Dondi3
(Diehards never say die)
Old October 16th 03, 04:09 PM
DONDI3

In article , Alan & Erin Williams
writes:

Alan
'wants to live with the Pirates, they never beat anyone'

Go to Wrigley...there's a bunch of them there...;-) Lofton, Ramirez and Simon
the Sausage Slammer will all be back next year. With Patterson coming back,
they'll have the luxury of 2 adequate out fielders and 2 outstanding
outfielders, but I have a feeling that either Sosa or Alou or Choi (1st base)
may be trade bait to attract a "lights out" closer or a good hitting catcher.
Their infield appears to be set...Starting rotation can't be improved upon, so
that leaves the bullpen and catching to work on during the winter. I think
several of the bullpen crew can be worked with to made into good relievers. I
can think of a couple that should be replaced, but I'm sure General Manager Jim
Henry is already working on that stuff.

Dondi3
(remedial baserunning classes start immediately)