A speculative exercise in revisionary theological hagiography.

Old April 7th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default A speculative exercise in revisionary theological hagiography.

The Saints of Christianity...

Saint JUDAS ISCARIOT (as shown on Fujeira label 600Kb The story of Easter)

http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijTGVlT5h.jpg

ST JUDAS ISCARIOT: The Patron Saint of Betrayal

Not a Saint. Most definitely not a Saint.

We include him in our Saints list purely as a speculative exercise in
revisionary theological hagiography.

Reviled and cursed throughout the ages, Judas is best known for betraying
JESUS to Roman soldiers with a kiss.

This act led directly to Christ's arrest, crucifixion, death and
resurrection. In other words, to the exact events which Christians believe
Jesus appeared on Earth to fulfill.

For his part in helping to carry out God's divine plan, Judas was paid
thirty pieces of silver. Further rewards included a horrid death and
universal castigation. He also never became a Saint.

The Gospel of Judas — a Gnostic document from the suppressed New Testament
Apocrypha — puts a positive spin on his life and work, although those old
Gnostic docs generally bear little relation to Christianity — or indeed
anything else not steeped in the wibbliest mysticism.

As for Judas, we offer the following line as his final epitaph: "God told me
to do it and that's all the thanks I get!"

Old April 8th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rodney" wrote in message
The Saints of Christianity...

Saint JUDAS ISCARIOT (as shown on Fujeira label 600Kb The story of
Easter)

http://www.cijoint.fr/cjlink.php?fil...cijTGVlT5h.jpg

ST JUDAS ISCARIOT: The Patron Saint of Betrayal

Not a Saint. Most definitely not a Saint.

snip for brevity

I suppose that they made the wrong choice. For the Vatican Post it would be
embarrassing but for Fujeira it is probably OK.

"Saint Jude was one of the Twelve Apostles of Jesus. He is generally
identified with Thaddeus, and is also variously called Jude of James, Jude
Thaddaeus , Judas Thaddaeus or Lebbaeus. He is sometimes identified with
Jude, brother of Jesus, but is clearly distinguished from Judas Iscariot,
another disciple and later the betrayer of Jesus."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jude

Another thing is even more interesting, and this is the printing office. I
think that Rein asked me some years ago for an example of Dunes stamps
printed in Romania. In this case there is no doubt, they were printed by the
"Fabrica de timbre Bucuresti". I cannot read the name of the designer,
something like Samir Ghantous (?)...

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old April 8th 09, 09:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

"Victor Manta" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
"rodney" wrote in message
[...]

I agree to Victors point of view. it would surely not be the first time,
that an error is shown on a stamp. this was my first thought too. But I am
not well read in catholic theology. Fine explanation Victor, thank You, and
a fine theme of You, Sir Rodney.

Happy easter!

Gerhard

Old April 8th 09, 10:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes, thanks Gerhard,
time for the home made hot cross buns and real butter,
As a lad, I would be donning the surplice
and practicing in the choir.
Happy Easter to you too.

"Gerhard Reichert"

Old April 8th 09, 11:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

I think I'm the only one here who did his "choir days" in Latin and
Gregorian single line chant. My goodness, I'm old!
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 8th 09, 12:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Yes, that may be so Tony,
but in the scheme of timelines, I think we picked the perfect slice,
we missed two world wars, the bubonic plague, the dark ages,
Viking assaults, failure of crops.
We may even miss the third world war, or severe climate change.
You may have missed Mozart and Chopin,
but we had the Beatles, Free love and optimism.
We watched a fellow walk on the moon.
We also live through some of the best times in Philately.

Old April 8th 09, 02:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Default How we live today. Was: A non-speculative printing office.

"rodney" wrote in message

Yes, that may be so Tony,
but in the scheme of timelines, I think we picked the perfect slice,
we missed two world wars, the bubonic plague, the dark ages,
Viking assaults, failure of crops.
We may even miss the third world war, or severe climate change.
You may have missed Mozart and Chopin,
but we had the Beatles, Free love and optimism.
We watched a fellow walk on the moon.
We also live through some of the best times in Philately.

Interesting enumeration, that tempts me to continue it, even if I disagree
on a few points. My enumeration is far from being exhaustive:

- We lost, sometimes very early, our parents but our chance to live longer
is much bigger, thanks to the development of the medicine (btw, I certainly
owe my life to a Scottish scientist and Nobel laureate named Alexander
Fleming, and to his followers)
- Our food is healthier (depending on our choice) and we work much less for
getting it
- The same for our clothes, shoes, houses, etc
- We started (as students) with electronic valves and we have now devices of
an incredible sophistication, that need muuuch less power. The results are
large screen TVs, Blu-ray & mp3 players, etc., etc.
- The IT didn't exist in my youth but now it is everywhere. We couldn't even
dream of home computers, Internet, e-mail, chat, etc., and now quite
everybody in the developed countries has them.

Generally speaking, millions of people live today better then the kings some
hundert years ago. If somebody needs a visual example, I could eventually
find the picture that I took (in the castle) of the toilet of HIM Maria
Theresa, the Holy Roman Empress.

Which doesn't mean that there isn't an urgent need of life improvement for
so many people worldwide. But as a priest from the Latin America said once,
the precondition to help the poor is to not belong to them.

Old April 8th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Ah my friend, we missed Ponselle and settled for Callas and Caballé, we
missed Caruso and settled for Pavarotti and del Monaco .......
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 8th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

"rodney" wrote in message

Yes, that may be so Tony,
but in the scheme of timelines, I think we picked the perfect slice,
we missed two world wars, the bubonic plague, the dark ages,
Viking assaults, failure of crops.
We may even miss the third world war, or severe climate change.
You may have missed Mozart and Chopin,
but we had the Beatles, Free love and optimism.
We watched a fellow walk on the moon.
We also live through some of the best times in Philately.

"Tony Vella"
I think I'm the only one here who did his "choir days" in Latin and
Gregorian single line chant. *My goodness, I'm old!

Tony:

You can catch most of them on opera stamps.
See your neighbourhood stamp album.

8*)

Blair
Old April 8th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

"rodney" wrote in message

Yes, that may be so Tony,
but in the scheme of timelines, I think we picked the perfect slice,
we missed two world wars, the bubonic plague, the dark ages,
Viking assaults, failure of crops.
We may even miss the third world war, or severe climate change.
You may have missed Mozart and Chopin,
but we had the Beatles, Free love and optimism.
We watched a fellow walk on the moon.
We also live through some of the best times in Philately.

"Tony Vella"
I think I'm the only one here who did his "choir days" in Latin and
Gregorian single line chant. *My goodness, I'm old!

By the way, Tony:

You forgot Lily Pons, the famous stamp collector.
I hear that she sang a little, on the side, as well.