Announcing "Distributed Scanners" discussion group (Scanning public domain texts)

Old December 19th 05, 01:15 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books,soc.libraries.talk

Default Announcing "Distributed Scanners" discussion group (Scanning public domain texts)

[Feel free to redistribute this announcement to other forums where
on-topic, such as scanning, graphics, books and publishing, library
and archives, etc. Thanks.]

.... Let's digitally scan all the world's public domain books! ...

Everyone,

Several people privately expressed interest in the "Distributed
Scanners" (DistScan) idea I recently outlined to the Book People
forum. So, I've taken the next step and created a Yahoo discussion
group to further explore this idea -- to see if it has any legs. You
are invited to join -- refer to the info at the end of this message.)

To summarize the idea: Is there interest and need for a
volunteer-driven, large-scale distributed scanning project of public
domain books and other documents modeled after (where applicable)
Distributed Proofreaders?

The full group description, and the current expanded summary of the
idea (which will undoubtedly change and improve over time as we better
understand the various issues) is given at:

To be clear, this group does not actually launch the project, but
rather serves only to bring together sharp, like-minded people to
explore the idea -- to see if there is a "working formula" that makes
sense, and if we can assemble a core group of people with the needed
skill sets and interest to be able to successfully launch the project.

The goal, of course, is to accelerate the high-quality scanning of
public domain texts. It is not intended to be competitive with other
projects to scan the public domain, such as those managed by the
Internet Archive (e.g. OCA), but rather to augment and possibly even
work in cooperative fashion with those projects (including
Distributed Proofreaders.)

Please read carefully the group description at the above URL. If you
wish to comment on this message, I encourage you to join the group and
post your comment there. Or, email it to me in private and I may
post it to the group (with your identity removed unless requested
otherwise).

Anyone interested in scanning the public domain (whether a private
individual or representing an institution) is invited to participate.
We definitely need people with expertise in a very wide range of
areas. Since DistScan will likely have many components, you are
probably expert in one of them! Do join and contribute to the
discussion.

Thanks!

Jon Noring

(p.s., there are three ways to subscribe to the DistScan group:

1) Use your YahooID and click on the "Join This Group!" button at the
above URL.

2) Send a blank email to:

(No need to get a YahooID to subscribe this way.)

3) Ask me to subscribe you with the email address you want to use. No
need to get a YahooID to subscribe this way.)

Old December 19th 05, 05:01 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books,soc.libraries.talk

Wouldn't it be smarter to contact Project Gutenberg ? They already have a
large backlog of scanned texts that need proofing, and a
volunteer/technology structure in place.

rms

Old December 19th 05, 06:07 AM posted to rec.arts.books,rec.collecting.books,soc.libraries.talk

rms wrote:

Wouldn't it be smarter to contact Project Gutenberg ? They already have a
large backlog of scanned texts that need proofing, and a
volunteer/technology structure in place.

Your comment is understandable, but PG is focused on producing and
distributing structured digital texts. Usually page scans are used as
the source to produce the etext. Thus, the product of DistScan would
not only be usable by DP and PG, but would be directly viewable by
end-users (thus the reason for archival quality resolution scans.)

For an example of directly using book page scans in an innovative way,
look at the examples at the OpenLibrary site (managed by the Internet
Archive): http://www.openlibrary.org/ .

Anyway, I am pretty well plugged into both the Project Gutenberg and
Distributed Proofreading communities, and there definitely is interest
in the idea of a "Distributed Scanners". The devil is in the details,
obviously, and that is the purpose of the DistScan discussion group --
to see if there's some formula that makes practical sense. Since there
are millions of scanners out there, and a large number of willing
volunteers, leveraging theseresources for the public domain is
intriguing.

Thanks for your reply.

Jon Noring