how is this juke

Old July 16th 08, 01:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default how is this juke

Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox
Old July 16th 08, 03:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Keith Stelter[_2_]

fine!
thanks for asking!
signed,
Mr. Rowe R-85

wrote in message
Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox

Old July 16th 08, 11:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jul 16, 10:59 am, wrote:
Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox

What do you want to know about it ?
Its a Rowe AMI 1981 (approximately) year machine.

Came in 3 styles:

Starlight (best)
Starburst (ok) and
Starwood (never seen this style)

You need about 9' ceiling clearance to open the lid fully

If you want one for home, its a pretty good machine,
reliable, good sound, easy to repair and get parts for

Had 3 of them on location back in the record juke days, and cant
remember anything bad about them.

Old July 16th 08, 02:43 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rich Klestinez

Pretty reliable. For home use I would suggest a good surge protector as the
power supply is pretty primitive.
Rich Klestinez
The Amp Man
Fort Worth Texas

wrote in message
Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox

Old July 17th 08, 12:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
WEade[_2_]

LMAO!!!! Thanks... My beer just ended up on my monitor after reading THAT.

Bill

"Keith Stelter" wrote in message
. ..
fine!
thanks for asking!
signed,
Mr. Rowe R-85

wrote in message
Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox

Old July 17th 08, 02:06 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Jul 16, 11:43 pm, "Rich Klestinez" wrote:

Pretty reliable. For home use I would suggest a good surge protector as the
power supply is pretty primitive.
Rich Klestinez
The Amp Man
Fort Worth Texas

wrote in message

Rowe AMI R-85 jukebox

The power supply's basic design hasn't changed much since then, even
with the Laserstar series of machines.

Its an extremely solid, reliable and easily serviceable design,
including self-resetting overload protection on the +8V and 28V rails,
and ability to function even with substantial line voltage drops.

(they went to a replacement PCB that featured a switch-mode +8v
section in late 1990s models - its just as reliable to date)

The only problems I have ever had with them is dry joints on the PCB
and pin failures on the +8v header. (header only used on later models
from R-86 onwards)

In the very old ones, such as the R-85 I would suggest replacing all
the electolytic capacitors (due to their age) as a precaution to
ensure future reliability. Resoldering all the PCB joints is another
great idea to eliminate future problems.

As for surge protection, a varistor across the mains would do the job.