Update: NG conversion

Old January 25th 05, 05:23 PM
DeserTBoB

Default Update: NG conversion

There has been some discussion privately about posting a proposal to
simply convert this NG to moderated operation. With the availability
of "modbots" to automatically strip out Noodles' posts, I would think
that moderator work load would be minimal. I'm tending to like the
idea of simply have Noodles perma-banned, and a listing of "regulars"
whose posts would go through automatically, while "unknown" posters
would need a quick check before posting. Thus, to most people, there
would be no real function change at all, except maybe for a slight
delay in postings to appear, which would still be better than the day
(sometimes) it takes for "goo goo" to show new posts anyway. I'm
investigating modbot software now.

Malcolm is on board with the idea, so we need your comments quickly
before we go ahead with the proposal and have it activated.

dB
Old January 25th 05, 07:14 PM
8 tracker from hell

DeserTBoB wrote:

[...]

great idea
not only will it keep nudofrauds posts out, but it will keep the ng
relatively spam free.

there is one concern that i am thinking about, there are some nntp services
that have their servers set up not to honor cancelbots or supercedes.
that alone has a devastating effect on propagating moderated groups &
keeping the riff-raff like nudo out. there are a lot of newsgroup providors
that have that setup because of abusers like hipcrime.
--
i have an 8 track mind

My other computer is your XP box.
Old January 25th 05, 08:37 PM
TC8trax

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
[...]

I've avoided this group for a while now, but will gladly re-join if we
moderate. I volunteer to be a human (non-bot) moderator...

It's time to get back to collecting and helping enthusiasts fix their tapes
and players.

TC8trax

Old January 25th 05, 10:24 PM
lennon fan

great idea!

Old January 25th 05, 11:20 PM
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:37:02 -0500, "TC8trax" wrote:

It's time to get back to collecting and helping enthusiasts fix their tapes
and players. snip

Amen to that! Nicely put. Thanks.

dB
Old January 26th 05, 12:15 AM
8 tracker from hell

DeserTBoB wrote:

[...]

i vote yes for this group to be moderated too.

Old January 27th 05, 09:04 AM
DeserTBoB

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:23:04 -0800, DeserTBoB
wrote:

Malcolm is on board with the idea, so we need your comments quickly
before we go ahead with the proposal and have it activated. snip

Malcolm has decided to draft a supercede proposal to get the
conversion going. I will be working on this, as well. With any luck,
we'll have a solid proposal ready for submission along with an updated
FAQ and charter. By your comments in this NG already, we can easily
show a unanimous approval of the action, save for the problem poster
himself, so we think approval will be quick. If anyone would want to
get any of their ideas reflecting in an updated charter and/or FAQ,
please state those now, as drafting of the proposal is now underway.

Thanks for your support on this issue.

dB
Old January 27th 05, 12:38 PM
yodedude2

wrote:

Malcolm is on board with the idea, so we need your comments quickly
before we go ahead with the proposal and have it activated. snip

Malcolm has decided to draft a supercede proposal to get the
conversion going. I will be working on this, as well. With any

luck,
we'll have a solid proposal ready for submission along with an

updated
FAQ and charter. snip

I say, the sooner, the better. later, ron

Surgery UPdate winnard 8 Track Tapes 5 September 20th 04 11:12 PM
decent score? update DOGGIE104 8 Track Tapes 5 May 16th 04 10:13 PM