Vault Inquiry Returned

Old February 25th 04, 06:21 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Default Vault Inquiry Returned

Expecting a check from my spendthrift Uncle Sam, I decided to contact my
credit union and ask about searching sizable numbers of coins by having
boxes ordered.

I asked for the 'Vault Manager', but the person handling money shipments
is actually the Head Teller, by job title.

When she returned my call, I learned a few interesting things...once we
got on the same wavelength. ;-)

A. So you are in charge of ordering coins for the credit union?

HT: Yes.

A. and do you get those directly from the Federal Reserve, or are they
circulated rolls furnished by a service, like Dunbar?

HT: I cannot order a specific date of coin for you.

A. Yes, I understand that, but the coins you get...

HT: are from the Federal Reserve, but Dunbar delivers them.

A. I see. Well, I am a coin collector and a 25 year member and I was
wondering if it would be possible to order some boxes of coins...

HT: I cannot promise you any particular year, these coins are usually
recirculated, customer submitted.

A. Excellent, you see that's exactly what I'm looking for.

HT: But sometimes they are machine wrapped rolls of all one date from
the Federal Reserve, I really have no control over that.

A: Okay, I'm willing to take my chances, I just like to search the rolls
for dates and mintmarks, for any silver coins...

HT: There are silver coins?

A: Yes. Collectors sometimes like to search rolls of Half Dollars for
silver, because they tend not to circulate and anything you find from
1965 to 1970 is 40% silver..

HT: Really?

A. Yes, and 1964s are 90% silver.

Ht: Well, that explains it.

A. Explains..?

HT: I have a few people who come in each couple of weeks asking for
rolls of Half Dollars, and I didn't know why. I don;t like to order those.

A: They probably are looking for silver. The Fed sometimes sits on
rolls of coins for a long time and you can get one that has not been
searched. A few months ago I got a roll of 1963 pennies that were
machine wrapped and must have sitting in someone's vault for a long time.

HT: Really? That's odd. I guess you were happy..are they worth anything?

A: Not really.

HT: (laughs) I don;t know much about coins, I have seen some of those
other things, though, those other bills, what do you call?

A: Star notes?

HT: No, the bills that aren;t bills they are..

A: Silver Certificates?

HT: Yes! I keep those because I see them sometimes and they are different.

A: I don;t know much about paper money...

HT: And once I got some bills that were cut wrong, I probably should
have kept those.

A: Do you ever get any coins that are made wrong?

Ht: What do you mean? How can a coin be made wrong?

A (explains)

HT: oh! I didnt know that could happen. Listen, how many boxes of
nickels do you think you might want? You can call me on a Monday because
I order on Tuesdays and they usually deliver by Thursday.

A: I was thinking about a box of half dollars and two boxes of nickels,
there's fifty rolls to a box, right?

HT: Well that should be no problem, yes fifty to a box but I don't want
to order any Half Dollars, we don't use them.

A: I promise that I will re-roll and return the nickels, but I'll take
the Halfs somewhere else...

HT: Two boxes of nickels then. I don't want to order any Half Dollars.
Call me when you're ready, okay?

A. Sure! Thanks for your help!

HT: I just can't promise anything about which dates you'll get though,
whether they are recirculated or not...

A. I understand. You sure about the Half Dollars? I won't dump them back
on you, I promise.

HT: Let me make a ...I'll need to...we don't usually order them because
we don't...I'll see. Okay?

A: Sure! Hey, thanks, Diane.

HT: You're welcome.

Alan
'one of us is missing something'
Old February 25th 04, 06:32 PM
Bob Flaminio

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:
HT: Well that should be no problem, yes fifty to a box but I don't
want to order any Half Dollars, we don't use them.

Next time someone asks why halves don't circulate -- well, there ya' go.

--
Bob

Old February 25th 04, 06:35 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

HT: Let me make a ...I'll need to...we don't usually order them because
we don't...I'll see. Okay?

A: Sure! Hey, thanks, Diane.

HT: You're welcome.

Alan
'one of us is missing something'

Well, I think it's because you keep asking for particular dates. I don't
think she can guarantee a particular date.

Scot Kamins
---
RCC's Resident Newbie First Class
Old February 25th 04, 06:36 PM
The Fausts

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message
Expecting a check from my spendthrift Uncle Sam, I decided to contact my
credit union and ask about searching sizable numbers of coins by having
boxes ordered.

I asked for the 'Vault Manager', but the person handling money shipments
is actually the Head Teller, by job title.

As I read your dialog, I kept expecting the next line to read, "Who's on
first?".

A. I understand. You sure about the Half Dollars? I won't dump them back
on you, I promise.

HT: Let me make a ...I'll need to...we don't usually order them because
we don't...I'll see. Okay?

Good reason.

Eric

Old February 25th 04, 06:37 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

Scot Kamins wrote:

In article ,
Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

HT: Let me make a ...I'll need to...we don't usually order them because
we don't...I'll see. Okay?

A: Sure! Hey, thanks, Diane.

HT: You're welcome.

Alan
'one of us is missing something'

Well, I think it's because you keep asking for particular dates. I don't
think she can guarantee a particular date.

Scot Kamins
---
RCC's Resident Newbie First Class

lol!

Alan
'swears he never asked her for a date'
Old February 27th 04, 01:41 AM
phil

At least she seemed pleasant and cooperative-thats
a big plus when dealing with banks and credit unions-sometimes they treat
you like you want to search THEIR pockets.
phil
(asked my bank about cents;got nonsense instead)

Old February 27th 04, 03:25 AM
Harold Fears

Did you know you can't get a specified date?

[...]

A: Okay, I'm willing to take my chances, I just like to search the rolls
for dates and mintmarks, for any silver coins...

HT: There are silver coins?

A: Yes. Collectors sometimes like to search rolls of Half Dollars for
silver, because they tend not to circulate and anything you find from
1965 to 1970 is 40% silver..

HT: Really?

A. Yes, and 1964s are 90% silver.

Ht: Well, that explains it.

A. Explains..?

HT: I have a few people who come in each couple of weeks asking for
rolls of Half Dollars, and I didn't know why. I don;t like to order

those.

A: They probably are looking for silver. The Fed sometimes sits on
rolls of coins for a long time and you can get one that has not been
searched. A few months ago I got a roll of 1963 pennies that were
machine wrapped and must have sitting in someone's vault for a long time.

HT: Really? That's odd. I guess you were happy..are they worth anything?

A: Not really.

HT: (laughs) I don;t know much about coins, I have seen some of those
other things, though, those other bills, what do you call?

A: Star notes?

HT: No, the bills that aren;t bills they are..

A: Silver Certificates?

HT: Yes! I keep those because I see them sometimes and they are different.

A: I don;t know much about paper money...

HT: And once I got some bills that were cut wrong, I probably should
have kept those.

A: Do you ever get any coins that are made wrong?

Ht: What do you mean? How can a coin be made wrong?

A (explains)

HT: oh! I didnt know that could happen. Listen, how many boxes of
nickels do you think you might want? You can call me on a Monday because
I order on Tuesdays and they usually deliver by Thursday.

A: I was thinking about a box of half dollars and two boxes of nickels,
there's fifty rolls to a box, right?

HT: Well that should be no problem, yes fifty to a box but I don't want
to order any Half Dollars, we don't use them.

A: I promise that I will re-roll and return the nickels, but I'll take
the Halfs somewhere else...

HT: Two boxes of nickels then. I don't want to order any Half Dollars.
Call me when you're ready, okay?

A. Sure! Thanks for your help!

HT: I just can't promise anything about which dates you'll get though,
whether they are recirculated or not...

A. I understand. You sure about the Half Dollars? I won't dump them back
on you, I promise.

HT: Let me make a ...I'll need to...we don't usually order them because
we don't...I'll see. Okay?

A: Sure! Hey, thanks, Diane.

Old February 27th 04, 06:00 AM
TomDeLorey

Had a nice little old lady come in today who wanted 50 half dollars for a
friend's 50th anniversary. When she called the other day I told her that she
could just get them at her bank, but she said her bank (one of the Chicago
biggies) told her they could not get them.
I made nice and picked out 50 decent ones from the bin where we accumulate them
from incoming coin purchases until we can give them out in change from the cash
register and/or I can buy them to spend them. Just charged her face, but told
her that her bank was lying to her.
..
Subject: Vault Inquiry Returned
From: Alan & Erin Williams
Date: 2/25/2004 12:21 PM Central Standard Time
Expecting a check from my spendthrift Uncle Sam, I decided to contact my
credit union and ask about searching sizable numbers of coins by having
boxes ordered.

snip
..

TomDeLorey
-#-#-#-#-
WARNING--WARNING--Political opinion follows. Faint of heart stand clear!
..
Brush the Shrub!
Old February 27th 04, 12:55 PM
Bob Peterson

"TomDeLorey" wrote in message
Had a nice little old lady come in today who wanted 50 half dollars for a
friend's 50th anniversary. When she called the other day I told her that

she
could just get them at her bank, but she said her bank (one of the Chicago
biggies) told her they could not get them.
I made nice and picked out 50 decent ones from the bin where we accumulate

them
from incoming coin purchases until we can give them out in change from the

cash
register and/or I can buy them to spend them. Just charged her face, but

told
her that her bank was lying to her.

Lying might be a bit much. many banks just don't stock them as there is
little demand for them. My bank does not, but if you pay for it they will
get you a box.

.

Old February 27th 04, 01:04 PM
Cliff

"Bob Peterson" wrote:

[...]

Actually, my bank has quite a few rolls in the vault, all of which
I've looked through. They did ask me, last week, if I had 8 rolls at
home that I could bring back in so they could make up a box to send
back to the reserve. Of course I said yes and dragged the rolls in for
them. Just seems funny for a bank to ask a customer for halves
Cliff