Old January 14th 11, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Francis A. Miniter[_2_]

Default Grove Press 1st of Juliette

On 1/12/2011 22:25 PM, Jean B. wrote:
Francis A. Miniter wrote:
On 1/8/2011 10:00 AM, Jean B. wrote:
J wrote:
On Jan 3, 7:45 pm, "Francis A. Miniter"
wrote:
I found at Savers, a used goods store, this evening on the
way home, a first printing (1968) of the Grove Press
edition
of the Marquis de Sade's *Juliette* , 1205 pages, with
dust
jacket (with only minor defects) and light foxing to
the top
edges (otherwise fine) and the first complete
publication of
the work in America.

Does the increasing demise of old-fashioned second-hand
bookstores
mean more goodies to be found by the dedicated hunter, do
you think?
Or will more books simply be trashed?

Gack! I say this as I contemplate going back to look at what
appears to be a full set of leatherbound works of Robert
Lewis Stevenson. Yesterday, I got several books for $2
each--2 volumes being from the 1700s. I also got some more
expensive books, 1 being a geography book from the 1800s
that contains the most disparaging comments about almost
every nationality....

Nicely done. At what kind of place did you acquire the
1700s volumes?

An antiques shop--and one that I almost never go to because
they normally have no books. I was actually looking for
furniture and espied an overflowing box of books shoved
under a table. Obviously no one had bothered to look at
them. I looked through all of them.... I really like it when
people are too lazy to see what they have!

Yes, I notice that those who deal in furniture tend to not
recognize the value of books. I suppose, on the other hand,
I might not recognize a valuable piece of furniture.

--
Francis A. Miniter

In dem Lande der Pygmäen
gibt es keine Uniformen,
weder Abzeichen, noch irgend welche Normen,
Und Soldaten sind dort nicht zu sehen.

Siegfried von Vegesack, "Es gibt keine Uniformen"
from In dem Lande der Pygmäen