2010 Silver Eagles... HERe WE GO AGAIN!!

Old January 4th 10, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_9_]

Default 2010 Silver Eagles... HERe WE GO AGAIN!!

Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news

"gogu" wrote in message
? " ?????? ??? ??????

My complaint is that, It seems that all the dealer get their hands on
these coins before the general public. The Mint calims it has to meet
the demand of the public and in 2009 they did not.

You must understand what Bruce wrote: UNC Silver Eagles were *never* sold
by the Mint directly to the public!
They are sold to the public exclusively through dealers!
You are probably confusing them with the UNC "burnish" Silver Eagles
and/or the Proof Silver Eagles.

If he had been getting "Unc" silver eagles from the Mint in the past, they
must have been the premium-priced burnished Unc specimens.

That's right!

So maybe there's little advantage to being on the Mint's subscription list
if one has to wait to see if items are going to be shipped automatically
before complaining.

In 2009 there were no burnished UNC Silver Eagles (and Proof), let's hope
they will be this year...

Plus, I presume a Mint subscriber has to pay shipping for each item sent,
rather than simply wait a few months and order several items at once for
the one shipping price.

I can't say as the subscription list is available only for US residents...
But this is how I do: I wait and order more items I want from the Mint so I
have to pay just one shipping cost.

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo
http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb120/golanule/
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old January 4th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
news

"gogu" wrote in message
? " ?????? ??? ??????
On Jan 3, 6:09 pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

As far as I know, we collectors have never been able to order bullion
Unc
silver eagles directly from the Mint.

There you have the answer to your question!

You aren't seriously looking for slabbed "first day release" bullion
coins,
are you? If you're somebody who can discern any difference (no peeking
at
the slab label or at the price on your receipt), you should consider
becoming a diamond cutter.

No, I am not collecting slabbed coins, I never got my 2009 UNC silver
eagle from the mint and I am on the subsciption list.

And you will never receive one *directly* from the Mint even if you are
on their subscription list;-)

My complaint is that, It seems that all the dealer get their hands on
these coins before the general public. The Mint calims it has to meet
the demand of the public and in 2009 they did not.

You must understand what Bruce wrote: UNC Silver Eagles were *never* sold
by the Mint directly to the public!
They are sold to the public exclusively through dealers!
You are probably confusing them with the UNC "burnish" Silver Eagles
and/or the Proof Silver Eagles.

If he had been getting "Unc" silver eagles from the Mint in the past, they
must have been the premium-priced burnished Unc specimens. So maybe
there's little advantage to being on the Mint's subscription list if one
has to wait to see if items are going to be shipped automatically before
complaining. Plus, I presume a Mint subscriber has to pay shipping for
each item sent, rather than simply wait a few months and order several
items at once for the one shipping price.

The thing that really ticked me off was that subscribers to the 2009 proof
AES got blown off as well. I've had a standing subscription for years for 3
of each to pass on to my children. WTF? Modern proofs usually have been
(and damn well should be!) at the head of the line. First, the mark-up for
fancy encased proofs presumably is well above that for bullion versions, so
the Treasury loses out when there are no proof offerings. Second, proofs
are the "gold standard" condition (double entendre not intended) for any
coinage. Third, diverting blanks for the relatively small number of
subscribed AES proofs (compared to UNC and bullion versions) would hardly
have a major impact on meeting the demand for bullion versions.

I can live with the Mint occasionally not offering UNC AES dollars for
collectors, but faithful proof collectors got thrown under the bus to feed
the mindless demand for commodity silver bullion. It's like a winery
dumping its vats of $100 a bottle estate vintages into the production line
for $10 wines because they can't meet the demand for the cheaper stuff.

Old January 4th 10, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
news

"gogu" wrote in message
? " ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

they must have been the premium-priced burnished Unc specimens. So maybe
[...]

I never collected the SAE's in any form, so my opinion is probably slanted.
But I can't figure the hand wringing over the apparent gap in proof Eagles
for 2009. Certainly we've survived gaps in proof set production in modern
times, as well as with various other coin series. But this particular 2009
Eagle shortfall seems to have some people throwing their hands in the air
and claiming that their Eagle collection has been ruined and that they will
never order from the Mint again, etc., etc. Why would anyone get so
attached to US Mint products to elicit such emotion? Disappointment and
even irritation, maybe, but not the hyperventilating we've seen over the
past couple months.

I do agree that something could have been done to accomodate proof
collectors, regardless of any guidelines Congress might have originally
specified. I smell something there and never did understand why it became
the Mint's Congressional duty to produce and sell precious metals to the
public every year at the expense of its other products.

Old January 5th 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jan 4, 5:00*pm, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
news

"gogu" wrote in message
? " ?????? ??? ??????
[...]

public every year at the expense of its other products.- Hide quoted text -

The ASE proofs are absolutely meaningless, numismatically, and the ASE
uncs a slightly better deal (though hardly the most economical way to
own silver).

I'm still waiting to see the 2010 unc ASE coins show up here in the
Patch. Unlike most places, we have a primary ASE dealer right here in
our little burg. I'm not holding my breath, there has been something
wrong with the physical metals markets as of late.

I'd bet that somebody's children will sell their proof ASE for a
fraction of whatever, whenever they get their hands on them. If your
kids don't collect coins themselves, of their own volition, that's
almost always what happens.

oly

FA: 06 silver eagles, 40% silver kennedy's mint sets, bullion andmore howard Coins 2 February 16th 07 08:34 PM
FA: SILVER RUPEES, SILVER EAGLES, BULLION howard rubin Coins 0 January 20th 07 05:08 PM
FA:1999,2000,2001,2002,2003 Silver proof set,Silver Eagles,Silver. 18 hrs left LAWRENCE TINGWALL Coins 1 June 7th 04 01:51 AM
Silver Eagles Teddy Bare Coins 9 March 18th 04 01:59 PM
FA: Silver Eagles Charles Carman Coins 0 November 17th 03 04:10 AM