Souvenir sheets

Old June 11th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Default Souvenir sheets

For some silly reason I just cannot bring myself to give or throw away
souvenir sheets even those outside my collecting period (from Penny Black to
December 31, 1959). I have been tempted to buy a full size photo album
(some of my SS are rather large) to keep them in - the sticky pages covered
in clear plastic type - but thought of getting some opinions first. I
anticipate anyone and everyone here in asserting that my SS are of minimal
or even less value - I keep them only as "pretty pictures". All opinions re
storage are appreciated in advance.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old June 11th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Hiya Tony,
first thing, I think you need a "heads up!"
you should collect whatever makes you happy,
what others think, should be none of your business

One thing is for sure, if you store them as you intend,
they will be irretrievably damaged, that's a given.
Being a dumpster diver myself, I can give you first hand
accounts of what happens when they are stored thus.

Little brown strips will appear after around 2 years, that
cannot be removed even with lighter fluid, the strips
eventually will show through to the obverse.

Hagners are around a dollar each for a full A4 mylar,
failing that, peelable hinges on acid free paper.

Personally, I scan mine and keep on hard disk,
the hardcopy I pop into polypropolene envelope
and place in "copysafe A4 sheet protectors"
The polypropolene are $12 per 1000 envelopes IIRC.
So all up I am looking at about 4c per sheet,
(albeit wouldn't win any exhibit prizes)

You only have to view a Billig's catalogue to understand
his contemporaries probably thought the creator crazy,
now, where do we all turn to for the in-depth?

Good luck, but ditch the photo album idea.
Rodney

Old June 11th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
maz[_2_]

In article ,
"Tony Vella" wrote:

For some silly reason I just cannot bring myself to give or throw away
souvenir sheets even those outside my collecting period (from Penny Black to
December 31, 1959). I have been tempted to buy a full size photo album
(some of my SS are rather large) to keep them in - the sticky pages covered
in clear plastic type - but thought of getting some opinions first. I
anticipate anyone and everyone here in asserting that my SS are of minimal
or even less value - I keep them only as "pretty pictures". All opinions re
storage are appreciated in advance.

I bought (years ago now) Lindner albums. They were slightly oversized
and had various types of pages. I bought a number of two sleeve & single
sleeve plastic pages. I have s/s's and some full sheets of stamps safely
stored in them. After over 20 years, all are still quite pristine.

If Lindner is still available, and after doing a quick Google, it is, I
wouldn't hesitate buying them!

Pete
Old June 11th 08, 02:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi Rodney, Tony

failing that, peelable hinges on acid free paper.

Where did you get peelable hinges? I have seen some packages of the
old Dennison's
selling for $10.00, or more, per package. Other than that, where
else?

I agree with you about Tony using photo album materials. Tony, look
at stamp accesory suppliers for Mint Sheet Albums. There is a soft
covered one with glassine pages into which you can place the souvenir
sheets and they are real cheap. The pages are like pockets but are
opened at the top and right side. Here are 3 links to these items.
The first, suprisingly, is a Canadian supplier.

http://www.collectorssupplyhouse.com..._mintsheet.htm

http://www.mdstamp.com/index.php?mai...&cPath=249_251

http://www.amosadvantage.com/scottonline/find.asp?

Jerry B
Old June 11th 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Where did you get peelable hinges? I have seen some packages of the
old Dennison's selling for $10.00, or more, per package. Other than that,
where
else?

G'day Jerry,
Oh No! I am not getting into that one
I have just read on this NG that they do exist.
I have never used a hinge in my life, excepting repair
of a space filler, or multiple sheet.

I have been introduced to them, breaking down
collections, and I love 'em, they come off the page with grace.

Old June 11th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Hi

Ooops! Forget the bottom link as it goes to the wrong web page

Old June 11th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:25:09 -0400, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

For some silly reason I just cannot bring myself to give or throw away
souvenir sheets even those outside my collecting period (from Penny Black to
December 31, 1959). I have been tempted to buy a full size photo album
(some of my SS are rather large) to keep them in - the sticky pages covered
in clear plastic type - but thought of getting some opinions first. I
anticipate anyone and everyone here in asserting that my SS are of minimal
or even less value - I keep them only as "pretty pictures". All opinions re
storage are appreciated in advance.

I use a Mint Sheet book, with archival plastic pages. Dual sided.
These are for the oddball or even "better" S/S.

S/S are to be collected by those who want them. I find that there are
just too many to be bothered with, even in countries I collect. I
keep them, of course, until I can find a good home for them, sell them
or trade them off somewhere. My French colonies S/S will stay with
me.

There are some that you NEED to watch out for. The Ostropa Germany
because of the acidic gum. there are plenty of others that need
special attention.
Old June 11th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MySelf

Those SS's that I have not incorporated into an album for a country, I
place in plastic page protectors with a sheet of 65# acid free paper in
between to separate them (2 ss's/protector), then that into a 3-ring
binder. That way they are protected and I don't feel obligated to go to
great lengths to view them. A simple index at the front and I'm a happy
camper. Those that are oversized go into a larger scrapbook the same way.
John D.

Old June 12th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MySelf

Joshua McGee wrote:
On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 14:33:18 -0600, MySelf wrote:

Those SS's that I have not incorporated into an album for a country, I
place in plastic page protectors with a sheet of 65# acid free paper in
between to separate them (2 ss's/protector), then that into a 3-ring
binder. That way they are protected and I don't feel obligated to go to
great lengths to view them. A simple index at the front and I'm a happy
camper. Those that are oversized go into a larger scrapbook the same
way. John D.

I am confused: if the souvenir sheets are in a page protector, why are
you bothering with acid-free interleaving? Time might be better spent
making sure that the page protectors are PVC-free.

I'll put in another plug here for the G&K two-sided sheets with the L-
shaped weld. The acetate covers the sheet, clinging by nothing more than
static electricity. My Prexy sheets are happy. :-) For others, I use
corner mounts, 110# card, and acetate cut to the size of the sheet. It
is useful on stampalbums.com albums!

The page protectors I use are acid free archival quality too, I just
didn't mention it. Once I posted the reply I knew someone would take
exception to the lack of clarity. :-( The interleave sheet is also
acid free archival quality, 65# paper. This way I save space and the
two SS's never think of adhering to each other. Although I'm in a very
dry desert climate at just over 5000' so not much chance of that occurring.

I use acid free corner mounts for those that are in the albums and if
writing is on the back, I cut out that much of the page so it'll show
through yet remains mounted in the corners. I could just as easily
place another used up SS backwards on the other side for that purpose I
suppose, but choose not to do so.

John D.
Old June 14th 08, 10:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Default Souvenir sheets~an overview

One other twentieth-century phenomenon has had an important effect on the
philatelic market and also, to a large extent, on the development of design.
In 1923 Luxembourg released a stamp in small sheets containing a solitary
specimen, in honour of a philatelic exhibition. In this unobtrusive manner
the miniature sheet was born, but within a decade its use had spread to most
other countries. Stamps printed in this form were usually sold well above
face value and dealers and collectors alike protested against this racket.
For years Stanley Gibbons refused to list miniature sheets in their
catalogues but bowed to demand in the mid-1960’s and ended their boycott.
Nowadays there are even catalogues devoted solely to miniature sheets.
Sometimes they consisted of a single stamp, with or without some form of
decoration in the sheet margins. Other sheets included a group of stamps,
often ordinary definitives but sometimes printed in new colours for the
occasion, and this was a popular method of producing a souvenir of
international philatelic exhibitions without having to go to the trouble and
expense of printing entirely new stamps. The souvenir element is still
present, but has been swamped by the general desire of many postal
administrations to mulct the collector as much as possible. Thus many of the
thematic short sets issued by certain Commonwealth countries (Malawi is a
notorious offender in this respect) are automatically supported by the
miniature sheets containing one of each denomination.

William Finlay an illustrated history of stamp design 1974