Bookstore suggestions for DC and area

Old June 13th 04, 02:44 AM
BookEditions

Default Bookstore suggestions for DC and area

I will be taking a trip to the Washington, DC area in the near future and
wonder if anyone has some used bookstores to suggest. Thanks.
Les
Old June 13th 04, 06:44 PM
Turtle15

If you go to Second Story Books' warehouse location in Rockville be sure to
visit the mystery and science fiction section--not the area in the main
warehouse, but the store-within-a-store off to the right of the main
entrance. It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best mystery
and sf used store in the area. The focus is on first editions, with many
rarities.

Terry Zobeck

"michael adams" wrote in message

"BookEditions" wrote in message
I will be taking a trip to the Washington, DC area in the near future

and
wonder if anyone has some used bookstores to suggest. Thanks.
Les

Evelyn C.Leeper kindly compiled, maintains, and regulary posts updated
lists of bookstores around the world onto this NewsGroup, on the thread
"Bookstores Around the World". The last such posting was on May 25th.

http://tinyurl.com/2oova

The index is -

http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/bookshop.htm

The Washington DC list was last updated on Wed 7th April 2004.

http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper/na-dc.htm

michael adams

Which is only one of the around 50 such lists of bookstores
which are regularly updated and posted on this newsgroup by
Evelyn Leeper ?

Old June 13th 04, 09:37 PM
BookEditions

If you go to Second Story Books' warehouse location in Rockville be sure to
visit the mystery and science fiction section--not the area in the main
warehouse, but the store-within-a-store off to the right of the main
entrance. It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best mystery
and sf used store in the area. The focus is on first editions, with many
rarities.

Terry Zobeck

Terry,
Thank you very much! This is exactly the sort of place I am looking for,
especially with its emphasis on mysteries and first editions.
Les
Old June 14th 04, 01:16 PM
hollowayd

"michael adams" wrote in message ...
"BookEditions" wrote in message
If you go to Second Story Books' warehouse location in Rockville be sure

visit the mystery and science fiction section--not the area in the main
warehouse, but the store-within-a-store off to the right of the main
entrance. It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best

mystery
and sf used store in the area. The focus is on first editions, with

many
rarities.

Terry Zobeck

Terry,
Thank you very much! This is exactly the sort of place I am looking for,
especially with its emphasis on mysteries and first editions.
Les

I would add that you should make sure and TALK to Nelson if he is
available and find out if there are any special deals going, new
arrivals, etc.... He is very knowledgeable and approachable and may
point things out that you wouldn't find on your own..

Also, I'm very happy that the Leeperlist is updated, but it still is
not as complete as the following which I have posted several times in
the past...

http://www.wababooks.com/waba.html

Enjoy your visit to Washington!

David

(David Holloway, Bookseller in the WABA guide.)
Old June 14th 04, 08:36 PM
BookEditions

make sure and TALK to Nelson if he is
available and find out if there are any special deals going, new
arrivals, etc.... He is very knowledgeable and approachable and may
point things out that you wouldn't find on your own..

David,
I will talk to him, and I appreciate this heads-up from you. Your information
is the kind I was looking for in addition to a listing of bookstores in the
area. Thanks much.
Les
Old June 15th 04, 09:24 AM
ann greenfield

Turtle15 wrote: snip

It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best mystery
and sf used store in the area.

Terry,

You gave Les excellent advice and info but IIRC, his name is Nelson
Freck, not Frick. He is an expert in the genre.

Ann
Old June 15th 04, 04:28 PM
Jim Barker

ann greenfield wrote:
Turtle15 wrote: snip

It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best mystery
and sf used store in the area.

Terry,

You gave Les excellent advice and info but IIRC, his name is Nelson
Freck, not Frick. He is an expert in the genre.

Ann

When I visited Washington about 25 years ago, I remember being taken to
a place called HOLE IN THE WALL BOOKS in Falls Church. I remember it
being more of a paperback store rather than antiquarian - I managed to
aquire several Ellery Queen and Sherlock Holmes pastiche paperbacks I
couldn't find in the UK.Is it still going?

Jim Barker

Old June 15th 04, 04:35 PM
Dan Blum

Jim Barker wrote:

ann greenfield wrote:
Turtle15 wrote: snip

It is operated by Nelson Frick and is probably the best mystery
and sf used store in the area.

Terry,

You gave Les excellent advice and info but IIRC, his name is Nelson
Freck, not Frick. He is an expert in the genre.

Ann

When I visited Washington about 25 years ago, I remember being taken to
a place called HOLE IN THE WALL BOOKS in Falls Church. I remember it
being more of a paperback store rather than antiquarian - I managed to
aquire several Ellery Queen and Sherlock Holmes pastiche paperbacks I
couldn't find in the UK.Is it still going?

It was last time I passed by (a year or two ago). While they don't just have paperbacks,
it's definitely not an antiquarian bookstore, just general used books. They also sell
(or used to sell) comic books - I bought most of mine there when I was a kid.

Dan Blum
Old June 16th 04, 10:29 PM
Todd T

"Dan Blum" wrote in message
Jim Barker wrote:

ann greenfield wrote:
Turtle15 wrote: snip

[...]

I think there is also a HITWB branch in Manassas, VA.

Do any of you remember another sf shop just down the street in Falls Church
called (perhaps nicknamed?) Dollar-Hungry Dave's? The store was on the
second floor of a ramshackle place since knocked down I believe for road
widening. You entered the shop by squeezing past an old dentist's chair and
up a narrow stair. In the late 1970s I was just discovering sf in a big way
and went nuts in there all the time. I do remember looking at a $5 Arkham
House SPELLS AND PHILTRES by Clark Ashton Smith there and thinking that
while the name was familiar I wasn''t prepared to risk $5 on poetry I might
not like, so I put it back. D'oh!

Anyway, as to existing shops: If the original poster is going to Rockville
anyway for Second Story, the Book Alcove on Shady Grove Road has a smallish
but pretty good room of antiquarian editions towards the back. Generally a
very good shop for its size. Several lengthy searches have ended there for
me. Pull into the shopping center with the 7-11 store and go back around to
the rear around the right (east) side. The shop is in the far NE corner on
the first floor.

If you're going anywhere near Frederick, MD, then Wonder Books and Video
must be recommended. Big store, not that many bargains but good stock.
Note the best material is in the glass cases here and there. The main store
is on W. Patrick Street west of Rt. 15, across the lot from the Toys R Us
and behind the Boston Chicken. There is a smaller branch on Jefferson St.
and and another shop in Hagerstown, MD.

- Todd T.

Old June 18th 04, 04:10 AM
William M. Klimon

"Todd T" wrote in message

I think there is also a HITWB branch in Manassas, VA.

Not that I know of--and not listed on their site:

http://www.holeintheweb.com/oldsite/Hole.htm

In Manassas, there're RW Books downtown and McKay's on Sudley. And Cosmic,
if they're still open--I visited once, but not my kind of material.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com