eBay auction: what am I not seeing here?

Old May 22nd 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default eBay auction: what am I not seeing here?

OK, so I've been watching the ongoing auctions of this particular coin,
and found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...mZ8419967434QQ
(mind the wrap)

Can somoene, anyone, tell me why this one went for what it did? I mean,
the number of red flags on this auction is super high. The image is
fuzzy, the guy has one feedback but claims to be an experienced seller,
and, well, what am I not seeing here that makes this one go so high?

Dave Hinz

Old May 22nd 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
OK, so I've been watching the ongoing auctions of this particular coin,
and found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...mZ8419967434QQ
(mind the wrap)

Can somoene, anyone, tell me why this one went for what it did? I mean,
the number of red flags on this auction is super high. The image is
fuzzy, the guy has one feedback but claims to be an experienced seller,
and, well, what am I not seeing here that makes this one go so high?

Dave Hinz

Interesting. The underbidder looks legit - he has bid on at least one other
21-D walker, this one:

Comparing the two coins, I would say that while the photography is very bad,
there are some clues that the $676 coin ( auction in question) is a higher
grade coin than the earlier, $398 coin. In the most recent auction, ending
yesterday, I can see more detail in the breast, head, and hand, despite the
glare of bad lighting in the photo. I really can't tell a lot about the
reverse, but the obverse does seem to suggest the $676 coin to be a better
detailed coin. A buyer may assume that if the earlier auction is a Fine/VF
(seller's grade) that this latest auction is a definite, strong VF and
Greysheet shows Vf to be $680 bid, $750 ask. Hmmm, GS bid is suspiciously
close to the final bid of yesterdays auction. I suspect the underbidder and
the winner both felt the coin was a VF. Perhaps they had made inquiries to
the seller and had received other images.

So, I don't know why this coin sold for what it did, but I can make a guess.

Bill

Old May 22nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 22 May 2006 15:53:46 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

OK, so I've been watching the ongoing auctions of this particular coin,
and found:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...mZ8419967434QQ
(mind the wrap)

Can somoene, anyone, tell me why this one went for what it did? I mean,
the number of red flags on this auction is super high. The image is
fuzzy, the guy has one feedback but claims to be an experienced seller,

He says: "Although I am a new seller I have a power seller that has
over a thousand feedback helping me sell properly". He's not claiming
to be an experienced seller himself.

He further says: "I only sell items I know about, so you get a good
description and insight." He may have been selling coins previously,
but not on eBay. I don't see that either statement is questionable.

and, well, what am I not seeing here that makes this one go so high?

Look at the past transactions of the bidders.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old May 22nd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Mon, 22 May 2006 18:06:02 GMT, Tony Cooper wrote:
On 22 May 2006 15:53:46 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

Can somoene, anyone, tell me why this one went for what it did? I mean,
the number of red flags on this auction is super high. The image is
fuzzy, the guy has one feedback but claims to be an experienced seller,

He says: "Although I am a new seller I have a power seller that has
over a thousand feedback helping me sell properly". He's not claiming
to be an experienced seller himself.

Ah.

He further says: "I only sell items I know about, so you get a good
description and insight." He may have been selling coins previously,
but not on eBay. I don't see that either statement is questionable.

Fair enough.

and, well, what am I not seeing here that makes this one go so high?

Look at the past transactions of the bidders.

They're all trying to get a 21-D, and not all of 'em did. That's good
news. I think maybe my timing works out well; it was the only one
ending on wednesday, now there are a bunch but they're all after mine.
I guess we'll just see what happens. Either way, I'm going to continue
posting clear scans and descriptive text on the coins I'm selling, even
though in this case fuzzy oversaturated images with no visible detail
seemed to do it.