Jum il-Hrug ?

Old August 15th 03, 01:48 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Default Jum il-Hrug ?

Recently I have bought some engraved stamps directly
from the Gibraltar Philatelic Bureau. Today I received
to my great surprise a letter sent from Gibraltar, but
containing the official bulletin of the philatelic bureau of
Malta (not Gibraltar).

I have never been in contact with the Malta Post or their
philatelic bureau, nor bought anything directly from them,
so this means that my mailing address (and possibly
other details) might have been handed over to Malta
from Gibraltar. I naturally feel rather uncomfortable
about this, and wonder whether other philatelic bureaus
that sell their products online will hand over (or sell)
my mailing address and possibly other details to
"sister-companies". I have emailed Gibraltar Phil.
Bureau with a complaint.

That said, the Malta official bulletin shows images
of some first day cancellations, for instance "Queen's
Coronation Jubilee Jum il-Hrug 03-06-03 Valletta Malta"
and "Jum il-Hrug 9.5.03 Europa 2003 Valletta Malta".

Does any of you know what "Jum il-Hrug" means?
Is it a local term for Valletta? I have searched Google,
that came out with a links to telephone cards and ATMs ...

Mette
--
Ann Mette Heindorff
amhstamps (at) adr dot dk

Old August 17th 03, 04:52 AM
TC

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 14:48:47 +0200, "A.M.Heindorff"
wrote:

That said, the Malta official bulletin shows images
of some first day cancellations, for instance "Queen's
Coronation Jubilee Jum il-Hrug 03-06-03 Valletta Malta"
and "Jum il-Hrug 9.5.03 Europa 2003 Valletta Malta".

Does any of you know what "Jum il-Hrug" means?
Is it a local term for Valletta? I have searched Google,
that came out with a links to telephone cards and ATMs ...

Mette

Mette:

Many Maltese words are similar to Arabic or Italian.

In Maltese JUM = Day. [pronounced YUM]
In Maltese HRUG = Exit. [pronounced HRUCH]

So I would say that "Jum Il-Hrug" means "Day of the Exit"
(ie 'Day of Issue')

I hope this is helpful.

Bonswa (that is 'goodnight' in Maltese)

Blair

Old August 17th 03, 06:37 AM
Joshua Kreitzer

"A.M.Heindorff" wrote in message ...

That said, the Malta official bulletin shows images
of some first day cancellations, for instance "Queen's
Coronation Jubilee Jum il-Hrug 03-06-03 Valletta Malta"
and "Jum il-Hrug 9.5.03 Europa 2003 Valletta Malta".

Does any of you know what "Jum il-Hrug" means?
Is it a local term for Valletta? I have searched Google,
that came out with a links to telephone cards and ATMs ...

I don't speak Maltese, but I found an online English-Maltese
dictionary at http://aboutmalta.com/language/engmal.htm

"Jum" means "day," "il" means "the," and "hrug" means "exit." Perhaps
"Jum il-Hrug" means something like "day of release," which would make
sense in the context of first day cancellations.

Joshua Kreitzer

Old August 17th 03, 08:39 AM
A.M.Heindorff

Bonjum everybody
(a frail attempt to speak Maltese, meaning Bonjour ;-)

Thanks, everybody, for your answers. :-) I do know the
terms Yom Kippur and Youm Kebir, but never thought of
connecting them with the Maltese "Jum". Had I done
that it is evident from the context that it must mean "Day
of Issue".

I have noted a small diacritical mark, a dot above the "g"
in the word "Hrug", indicating that it is pronounced "Hroutch".

Thanks again for your help :-)

Mette