Let's Hear it for the First Addition

Old April 1st 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Let's Hear it for the First Addition

Jon Meyers, in a thread he recently posted to the rec.collecting.books
newsgroup, suggested it was way past time to replace the term, "first
edition," with the term, "first printing."* I agree.* I also think
it is time we hear more about the use of the first addition as well.
*
First additions are often confused with first editions. Believe me;
they are two different animals:

A first edition is the first printing of a book from the original
setting of type.

A first addition is the first printing of a book which contains
additions, corrections or revisions to the original text.

A first addition, in reality, is a second edition; however, it is more
impressive to say a book is a first addition. Right?

Booksellers on abebooks have already started to use the term, "first
addition." There were 104 first additions listed on abebooks yesterday,
ranging in price from one dollar to over fifteen-hundred dollars.

First additions are more abundant on ebay, where anyone can become an
instant bookseller. Yesterday, there were 237 first additions listed on
ebay in all categories; however, thee were only 125 first additions
listed in the Books category. This just goes to show you that on ebay,
at least, not all first additions are books. Let the Buyer Beware!

Jerry Morris,
Book Collector

**

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
Moi's LIbrary http://www.moislibrary.com My Sentimental Library
http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary Florida Bibliophile Society
http://www.floridabibliophilesociety.org

Old April 1st 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jerry,
You're giving them way too much credit. I think the majority of
those first "additions" are really "editions" (edition and addition
sound similar, so I think many of those are just misspelled These
are not book dealers but mainly people just trying to make a buck.
Remember, many of those people are the same ones who elected the
great orator, Dubya, who, "let me tell ya", couldn't spell nuclear if
our lives depended upon it.

Old April 1st 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Jon Meyers, in a thread he recently posted to the rec.collecting.books
newsgroup, suggested it was way past time to replace the term, "first
edition," with the term, "first printing." I agree. I also think
it is time we hear more about the use of the first addition as well.

First additions are often confused with first editions. Believe me;
they are two different animals:

A first edition is the first printing of a book from the original
setting of type.

A first addition is the first printing of a book which contains
additions, corrections or revisions to the original text.

Is there such a thing as a first book -- the first book produced
by the frist print run of a first edition? Or am I getting to
esoteric, here?
Old April 2nd 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Al Smith wrote in news:8VAXf.53139$VV4.905952@ursa-
nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

A first addition is the first printing of a book which contains
additions, corrections or revisions to the original text.

Is there such a thing as a first book -- the first book produced
by the frist print run of a first edition? Or am I getting to
esoteric, here?

Not at all. Ignore those naysayers who will claim you have reached reductio
ad absurdum.I believe, you have clearly found the "Holy Grail" of modern
first collecting. Provenance could be established by the printer's
thumbprint on the front cover and splashes of Chanpagne or (in the likely
event that the book was not produced in France) the printing country's
finest sparkling wine on the FEP
Old April 2nd 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Sam wrote:
Jerry,
You're giving them way too much credit. I think the majority of
those first "additions" are really "editions" (edition and addition
sound similar, so I think many of those are just misspelled

I'm fairly certain Jerry's on top of that and was having a bit of fun.
Myself, I always thought my older son was my first addition (and first
issue, natch).

--Jon Meyers
Old April 2nd 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

A first addition is the first printing of a book which contains
additions, corrections or revisions to the original text.

Is there such a thing as a first book -- the first book produced
by the frist print run of a first edition? Or am I getting to
esoteric, here?

Not at all. Ignore those naysayers who will claim you have reached reductio
ad absurdum.I believe, you have clearly found the "Holy Grail" of modern
first collecting. Provenance could be established by the printer's
thumbprint on the front cover and splashes of Chanpagne or (in the likely
event that the book was not produced in France) the printing country's
finest sparkling wine on the FEP

Awww, you're just joshin' me. But it makes sense. If books of the
first print run are identical to books of the second print run,
but are much more valuable only because they are printed earlier,
than surely the first book to come off the press must be more
valuable than the second, third, and so on. Or do I raise hackles
among collectors by resorting to reason? The obvious answer is for
publishers to sequentially number their books. They could call it
.... oh, let's see ... I know! A numbered edition! Then collectors
could rank all the books in the printing according to their
increasing value to collectors, based on which was printed earlier.
Old April 2nd 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Actually, in the art and phoo book field, it is common to have limited
editions that are signed and numbered. Sometimes with a print,
sometimes without.

Of course, it's not neccessarily so that the numbering scheme
corresponds to the actual sequnce in which they came of the press.

I don't have any 1/500 but my favorite is a Loel Peter Witkin work
issued in a numbered edition of 1000. I have number 666 which if
you've ever seen Witkin's work makes it highly desireable :-)

Denton

Old April 3rd 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Actually, in the art and phoo book field, it is common to have limited
editions that are signed and numbered. Sometimes with a print,
sometimes without.

Of course, it's not neccessarily so that the numbering scheme
corresponds to the actual sequnce in which they came of the press.

I don't have any 1/500 but my favorite is a Loel Peter Witkin work
issued in a numbered edition of 1000. I have number 666 which if
you've ever seen Witkin's work makes it highly desireable :-)

Denton

I've got some nice numbered editions myself. I think they're kind
of neat. I appreciate any little touch that makes a book more
personal, such as author's signature, numbered edition, special
plates, inserts, maps, and so on.

I was being a bit factious about the first book of the first print
run. Still, something to think about. With modern printing,
individual books in a print run probably could be sequentially
numbered.