mercury astronaut collection

Old August 13th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
lincoln s

Default mercury astronaut collection

I recently acquired a 1st printing trade of The Right Stuff by Tom
Wolfe, Farrar 1979, signed by the author very boldly, in black marker
on the first (blue) front end page ... nice autograph!
It got me thinking about a collection of Mercury astronaut books; good
firsts and/or firsts/signed on the mission, the men, or something like
the tom wolf tome I have.
Any suggestions for such a collection ?

linc

Old August 13th 06, 06:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Doug McClure

I own and have sold many astronaut signed books. The space program
certainly isn't as popular as in the past, so prices are fairly
reasonable.

Grissom died in the Apollo accident, so I don't think he had the
chance to write a book, though his wife did.

Slayton wrote a book but died before it was published.

I didn't know about Cooper, but an ABE search pulls up "Leap of
Faith". The same ABE search reminds me of "We Seven" about the
original Mercury astronauts.

I've owned signed books by Shepard (also deceased), Schirra (I found
one two weeks ago), Carpenter, and Glenn.

You could also collect signed books by astronauts who walked on the
moon. Jim Irwin's book is pretty common. I doubt there are too many
books signed by Neil Armstrong, though Buzz Aldrin is an active signer
(esp. for a price).

Schirra was the only astronaut who was part of Mercury, Gemini, and
Apollo.

Was Shepard the only Mercury astronaut to go to the moon?

DKM

On 13 Aug 2006 00:58:54 -0700, "lincoln s"
wrote:

I recently acquired a 1st printing trade of The Right Stuff by Tom
Wolfe, Farrar 1979, signed by the author very boldly, in black marker
on the first (blue) front end page ... nice autograph!
It got me thinking about a collection of Mercury astronaut books; good
firsts and/or firsts/signed on the mission, the men, or something like
the tom wolf tome I have.
Any suggestions for such a collection ?

linc

To contact me directly, send EMAIL to (single letters all)
DEE_KAY_EMM AT EarthLink.net. [For example .]
Old August 15th 06, 06:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
lincoln s

I would not insist on autographed copies. Fine firsts should never be
overlooked! The thing that really jumped to mind as i read your reply:
I wonder what happened to Deke's notes and writings? Such a shame to
let those thoughts fade away...

I've definitely heard of "WE SEVEN". But wasn't a bio of Neil published
recently?

i haven't even considered how many "3 program" astronauts existed!
Seems like a man to do all THAT shoulda hada statue somewere...or at
least a photo in the dictionary, next to the word -Stamina-.

Allen Shepard would appear to be a very good "people" starting point;
along with We Seven, about the Mercury program.
Thanks!
linc