quarter

Old February 26th 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default quarter - now gone OT

wrote in message
In article , "mazorj"
wrote:

wrote in message
In article , "mazorj"

I feel like the owner of a wind-up Edison cylinder phonograph in the
age
of Stereo LPs.

James the Broken Record
'today's kids don't really know what that means'

Just tell them "It's an analog method for looping from an older disk
format."

- mazorj the Steampunk Explicator

steampunk is kinda just ok. difference engine is still best of genre.
now if orson wrote with bill. damn!

I'd rate it a little higher than that, but I used steampunk because it's a
less obscure term that has had some circulation in general publications
(plus that cinematic desecration of Sherlock Holmes). Only an SF wonk
would
know the difference. ;-)

shlocklock bones you mean? let it die quickly. physical effort? wtf?
yes, guilty of the wonk part. i even speak business groacian for commerce.
you
know, joy girls, dope sticks and cool shades for my occulars. to be
enduring
the curse of the two eyed with grace. to return to the breeding pits. to
appreciate the new hive masters crop of talent.....ahhhhh.

You must have some, uh, "interesting" clients if they grok all that. ;-)

Old February 26th 10, 04:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default quarter - OT

wrote in message

i believe i have one 32 bit xp with legal docs. i will look and hope
they're
not packed. i have other's on original xp discs but mybe not with
authentic
docs. those i don't feel good about giving away. and will not, but you do
understand as your wording showed. thanks for that. too many people are
cavelier about that.
i believe mine is xp pro. that work? i will look in the morning.

Pro is okay. Let me know what you find. And yes, I am a stickler about
only using legitimate OEM.

no, fixing vinyl is no crime. the choice is playable or garbage. i will
repair
as far back as 78rpm discs. before that i don't have the expertise.
i have to do some real work on a disc sometimes to make it play. but if it
doesn't skip, i can restore the surface, (get rid of dirt and spooge, not
regroove of course.) and make it sound close to original. the law is
minimum
processing. just remove scratchy sounds and noise. make it sound as close
new as can.

Okay, that's the same basic approach to proper (minimal) non-professional
cleaning of coins.

the soldering a cracked record was a joke. i'm sorry, i forget those not
in
the biz don't know. broken records can be fixed but that is for the super
experts with much tech.

No problem. It sounded too outrageous to be true, but having heard Library
of Congress audio archivists discuss their highly sophisticated methods to
pull audio off of decaying media, I didn't want to assume that you were just
kidding.

i had great teachers, so i know the softwear side of resto. i have done it
enough to be good. if anyone has a disc that plays, i will digitize and
make
cd's for them. no charge to anyone in this group, except postage and cd
costs.
i will make your not on cd vinyl into a cd and it will sound awesome. it
isn't
me, it's the amazing music software.
need a tune, maz? i will gladly do it for you. it's fun. and you get your
record back, of course.

I handle and store my LPs the same way I do with coins. Not even a stray
fingerprint. And I recently bought a turntable with digital output so I can
clean up and burn .WAV files on CDs (no lossy .mp3 for me). But thanks
anyway. Maybe someone else here will take you up on your generous offer.

I do have a project that you may find interesting. I have two acetates of
me recorded on a coin-operated record machine in an amusement park when I
was 3. I want to digitize them but have been putting it off for fear of
messing them up. After 60 years they're probably as fragile as egg shells.
I'll practice on my new turntable first using some old 45s so I think it
will go okay (juxtaposing first and second digits and rapping phalanges on
surface of lignified arboreal substance).

- mazorj the Recordist

Old February 27th 10, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

Default quarter

On Feb 24, 4:37*pm, ) wrote:
i just saw a virgin islands quarter. it is my favorite and actually the only
state quarter design i truly like. it has a sparseness and economy of design
that works well. uncluttered, unfettered by background noise and really
representative of that part of the world, it looks like the where it's from.
it really comes across because it doesn't make one think of the other state
quarter from that area.
using it with that crappy, outdated and useless obverse with the spaghetti
hair, it manages to out shine the others by it's simple elegance.
ymmv, i would like to hear YOUR fave and why.
anyone seen james?

Enjoying the discussion that went OT (computers and records), but I
suppose we should attempt to stay on topic. Having seen only two DC-P
quarters as my entire representation of 2009 quarters, I can't offer
anything about Territorials. But I will submit my favorite SQs have
bisons, wildlife, and UT (trains). Can't say one is better than the
other, but I will say State outlines "bite the big one."

Jerry
Old February 27th 10, 02:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

Hey, be careful, or you might just inspire me to write a magazine-length
article on state/territorial quarters and publish it here.

James the Brazen

Old February 27th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

It'll be fair game, James. Otherwise, I have no particular favorite state
quarter, especially after admiring photos of all those Austrian train and
cathedral series issues. What artistry! I doubt our state quarter designs
would have improved much even if given a larger surface to work with. Those
Austrian series would make one collection I would love to own and display.

..

Old February 27th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Feb 27, 8:53*am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

James the Brazen- Hide quoted text -

I feel that the Maine Quarter is pretty great, especially in view of
the coin's relatively small diameter. And yes, I like North Dakota's
and Kansas' buffalos a lot. Alaska's bear is worthy too.

I've seen all the 2009 quarters in circulation now, except the
Northern Marianas coin. They are all pedestrian stuff, but the low
mintages might (just might) cause some demand for them in the future.

oly
Old February 27th 10, 03:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

As fussy and careful as I've been at filling my Dansco with them, I harbor
no illusions that they will ever be worth more than 25c apiece. But hey,
that's the way I collected way stuff back in the nineteen mumblies, and
that's the way I still collect stuff today.

I forgot to mention, I hauled a magnificent Conder token home from St.
Louis. It has THE END OF OPPRESSION (no, I'm not yelling, that's the font
on the coin) and a couple of guys celebrating around a big bonfire on one
face, and the names of the three enlightened Thomases - Spence, More, and
Paine - on the other.

James the Old-Fashioned

Old February 27th 10, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Bruce Remick wrote:
Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

It'll be fair game, James.

[snip]

No way I'm going to subject myself to a withering Remick critique! I've
seen the effect it has on others, and I certainly don't wish to become like
them.

James the Unpublished

Old February 27th 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scurvy Dog

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

It'll be fair game, James. Otherwise, I have no particular favorite state
quarter, especially after admiring photos of all those Austrian train and
cathedral series issues. What artistry! I doubt our state quarter designs
would have improved much even if given a larger surface to work with. Those
Austrian series would make one collection I would love to own and display.

I see pictures of the Austrian commems in Coin World from time to time and they
are beautiful.
Our coin designers could learn something from them, they seem to have no
conception that a coin is a 3 dimensional sculpture, not a photograph.

Old February 27th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Feb 24, 4:37 pm, ) wrote:
[...]

As a group, on average I find the territorials to be more appealing than the
typical SQ designs. That probably says something about the political
environments of territories versus states. In a typical state there are too
many constituencies and special interests spread all over the place to have
a unified, coherent vision of the state. Territorial enclaves tend to be
more insular (literally, except for DC) with a smaller number of special
interest constituencies to please or avoid ****ing off. On the whole, I
suspect that art was allowed to play a bigger role in the process there.

Winning state SQ designs were not the result of striving for artistic
excellence and inspiring design elements, but finding one that draws the
least resistance from all quarters (double entendre intended). In some
SQ's, a modicum of esthetic appeal still managed to peek through; but the
selection process is heavily biased to squeeze the artistic life out of
whichever design survives the political gauntlet run.

To quote the great numismatic writer Anonymous, "When you try to please
everyone and avoid ****ing off anyone, you end up not pleasing anyone and
****ing off everyone."