Do you think this describes Reid?

Old February 22nd 10, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Clyde Crashcup

Default Do you think this describes Reid?

Right Man Syndrome - Depressive Thinking Patterns

These patterns serve to shield The Right Man from the effects of his own
behavioural patterns. He tends to negate feedback from other people in relation
to his own behaviours. The relationship that this establishes is as follows:

"I get to behave however I want to - with impunity - and you are the one that
has to make the adjustment and just accept me for what I am."

And the blaming position of...

"My anger/depression is a direct response of your behaviours; whilst your
problematic emotions are an example of what is wrong with you."

The Right Man adopts the position of: "You make me angry."

The Reasonable Man adopts the position of: "I get angry at you."

The effect upon the third party often takes the form of exasperation,
hopelessness, helplessness and depression. The Right Man often manages to leave
a trail of anxiety, despair, self-doubt and depression everywhere he goes.

Pattern #1 - "There Are No Shades of Grey" - Black and White Thinking.

With this pattern we see that moderation and mediation are not permissible.
Everything is either one thing or another, anything in between is simply not
allowed.

Thus The Right Man will often be an alcoholic or will abstain completely. He
either loves someone totally or hates them emphatically; you are either
completely on his side or you are against him totally, and so on. Yet oddly in
spite of all the obvious behaviours that he many display to the contrary, he
will often claim to not have a view on the matter at hand at all.

Nearly everything in The Right Man's world is in an extreme position and his
communication with other people tends to force them to choose such a position
also, something they may live to regret doing. Failure to conform to this way
of thinking is usually interpreted - and thus exploited - as a weakness.

For example, when asked to moderate his aggressive tone, one such Right Man
replied aggressively, "Fine! Then I will stop speaking to you altogether."

This pattern is both a spontaneous pattern and can often be employed
effectively as a mechanism to control other people.

To The Right Man mentioned above, the author simply replied, "thank you."

Pattern #2 - "You Have Ruined Your Life" - The Rule of Permanency.

In The Right Man's world, nothing is transitional or temporary. Nothing is
permitted to be a flux or a developmental stage or a process that people work
through.

In The Right Man's world everything becomes permanent. One first hand example
witnessed by the author was that of one such Right Man informing his 40-year-old
son that he ruined his life the day he failed his O-Level school exams - at age
15 (taken a year early). The fact that this 40-year-old was happily married,
had two children, a holiday home in Spain, a successful and fulfilling career,
and a fairly decent social life were all ignored by his Right Man father. The
Right Man knew better because he knew the "right" way his sonreally wanted to be
living, i.e. according to the rules and wishes of the father that were projected
out to be the desired rules and wishes of the son.

In the eyes of his wife, friends and colleagues, the son was happy, successful
and lucky. But in the eyes of his father, he was a still a failure.

Another example witnessed by the author was of one Right Man describing
thereal character and personality of his son (aged 38 and also possessing a high
life-success index). Two examples cited were from infancy, and the third
"proof" that was cited was from an event that occurred on the son's 5th
birthday party.

The Right Man's slogan here is, "A leopard never changes his spots."

Similar to the "No shades of Grey" pattern, following a minor disagreement
with a relative, one Right Man declared, "That man is never welcome in my house
again. Ever!" Twenty years onward, his position still had not changed.

"That man" happened to be his brother.

Pattern #3. "You Have Ruined Your Life" - Catastrophisation.

In NLP terms, this is an extreme form of "chunking up". For example, a small
event is blown out of all proportion to become a catastrophe. For example, one
8-year-old daughter of a Right Man did badly on her Monday morning spelling test
at school - this was met with the declaration from the father that, "You will
fail everything if you can't even pass a single bloody spelling test."

Another scenario involved someone known to myself declaring that his adult son
had "ruined his life" for getting a tattoo.

Catastrophisation doesn't require a verbal depiction of the catastrophe - a
"silent" catastrophic emotional reaction over a relatively minor event can be
sufficient to fulfil the pattern when placed in context of all the other Right
Man patterns.

Silent catastrophic emotional reactions often take the form of prolongued
silence accompanied by "dismissive" body posture and gestures, "distancing" and
so forth. The Right Man may vanish altogether leaving everyone wondering where
he has gone, but clearly knowing why he has gone.

Pattern #4. "I Know You Better Than You Know Yourself" - Superior Knowledge.

In her excellent interpretation of Gregory Bateson's double bind model,
Patrice Guillame offers the following example of "superior knowledge."

When the mother comments that her child has no friends, the child protests,
"But I get on with everyone."

The mother responds, "With everyone, Cathy?" as though she has superior
knowledge.

With The Right Man, he knows the truth - i.e. the "real" character of a
person - the character that the person manages to hide from everyone else,
including themselves!

One of the popular games of The Right Man is to "put people in their place" -
this "place" is decided by The Right Man himself. He does this frequently
should anyone attempt to "rise above their station" or to manoeuvre themselves
around to a more suitable place in the social hierarchy that is so well
dominated by The Right Man.

Thus, someone can actually be quite successful and happy, but if The Right Man
has decided otherwise, he will always regard this person as an unhappy failure
and there is nothing that person can do to change their position with The Right
Man. The Right Man always knows him better than he knows himself.

Of those around him, The Right Man alays knows everyone's true motives,
emotions and agendas. Suspicion abounds and any denials from the chosen victims
will only serve to reinforce the suspicion. After all, Right Man knows you
better than you know yourself.

Pattern #5. "I'm Only Doing This For Your Benefit" - Acts of Selfless Duty.

The pattern triggers the secondary event of "guilting." It usually occurs as
a result of Pattern #4 ("Superior Knowledge") where The Right Man claims to be
doing an action for the sake of another person. The action may be unnecessary
or undesired, it may even annoy the person for whom the action is being done,
but the recipient must be display an overt sign of gratitude to avoid punishment
with guilt, depression, or aggression.

The actions are usually well intentioned, but usually "far off the mark" in
terms of what the recipient of the action really wants or needs.

This is different to the common male attribute of buying the woman in his life
completely the wrong gift who then experiences total confusion when it gets
thrown back at him. This is about power and control.

One example that springs to mind is of the wife who was saving to buy herself
a car - she wished to gain her own means of transport and independence. The
second hand car she wanted was an estate car that meant that she could take the
children and friends out and about.

Just before she bought the car she arrived home to find a brand new, small,
bright green "city" car sat on the drive. Knowing of her intentions, the
husband has bought it for her. He meant well, he really did, but the car stood
out, was smaller than she wanted and was more expensive than she and her husband
could actually afford. He didn't want her spending her money on the car.
Besides, she couldn't really be trusted to buy the right car. He had to be the
one to buy it. It was after all his role to be the provider.

In short he bought her a bright green emotionally laden white elephant.

This kind of scenario happens in the best of relationships and here is only
significant when placed into the context of the other Right Man patterns.

In this example, the wife's choice was to reject the car and thus face the
trauma of a full-blown Right-Man-in-indignation attack, or drive around
conspicuously in the white elephant.

And yet he only bought it for her benefit.

Pattern #6. "Just Deserts. Trapped By Your Own Words" - Linguistic Wizardry.

The Right Man is adept at tracking another speaker's words and will look for
the slightest contradiction and then exploit it. The Rule of Permanency is also
invoked, so any contradiction expressed over time is also exploited. So
something expressed last year that is contradicted today will quickly be jumped
upon. Thus, the other speaker cannot have a change of mind, opinion, or desire
where The Right Man is concerned, unless of course The Right Man grants his
permission.

All this of course comes as quite a surprise to the attackee, who had long
since given up the notion of trying to get The Right Man to actually act as
though he were indeed listening to a word that the attackee ever said anyway.

A common curiosity is just where the Right Man gets his information from, as
he so rarely appears to ever be listening.

The Right Man is very skilled in subject-changing, not listening and ready
distraction when someone else is speaking. This gives the impression to the
speaker that the Right Man doesn't actually ever listen. This is also a trap.

Pattern #7. "The End of The Matter" - Finalisation.

This is easily identified in The Right Man by a number of catchphrases that
all exhibit the same characteristic.

The right Man has the habit of ending conversations.

Essentially the catchphrases dictate that, "I have the final word here and you
and the subject at hand are therefore dismissed." If challenged, The Right Man
simply repeats the catchphrase with greater emphasis. If challenged further, an
escalation will ensue invariably leading to aggression with indicators of
threats of violence (see Pattern #9.)

Common catchphrases that shut down communication and ensure that the last word
is maintained take the form of:

"...full stop!"
".period!"
".and that is the end of the matter!"
".end of story!"
".there is no further discussion!"
".that's it!"
".I have spoken!"
"...I am drawing a line under the subject!"

These phrases are often accompanied with a fist banging down and/or a sideways
slicing motion with the palm of the hand downwards.

Pattern #8 - "Shutting Down Conversation - Movement To Closure."

This one is difficult to describe without demonstrating it with vocal
tonality. In this pattern the Right Man continuously seeks to shut down another
person's communication.

This is achieved with a combination of gestures, body postures and tonality -
essentially it looks like a man about to end the conversation by walking away,
the tone that says he suddenly needs to be somewhere else and so forth.

From the moment the speaker starts talking, he is given the impression that he
needs to be quick as the Right Man has to be somewhere else.

As one client told me, "I only ever have 20 seconds to say anything to my
father before he leaves the room, changes the subject, shouts me down, or simply
changes the subject."

Pattern #9. "I'm Warning You!" Indicators of Violent Threats.

Gregory Bateson gives a great analogy when referring to dogs at play and adult
dogs cautioning pups: "The playful nip denotes the bite, but it does not denote
what would be denoted by the bite."

You might need to read that a few times before it makes sense.

The Right Man rarely gives violent threats, but will often to be seen giving
an indicator of a violent threat. For example, rather than waving his fist in
the face of another person whilst shouting, "Shut up or I will thump you!" he is
more likely to be seen in normal conversation utilising dominant body posture
and tonality and adopting the pointed finger.

The whole demeanour is characterised as, "I am dominant and will not be
crossed by you."

To paraphrase Bateson, "The pointed finger denotes a fist, but does not denote
that which is denoted by a fist."

This position enables The Right Man to deny ever being aggressive and enables
him to experience other people's fear or submission as a weakness emanating from
them, rather than as feedback to his own demeanour.

Old February 22nd 10, 01:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough[_2_]

On 2/21/2010 7:01 PM, Clyde Crashcup wrote:
"My anger/depression is a direct response of your behaviours; whilst your
problematic emotions are an example of what is wrong with you."

Hey, what's your real name? Gee, I wonder why you don't use it. In yet
another laughingly juvenile attempt on your part to bait, you just
cribbed, word for word, someone else's work, not mentioning its source,
the person who created it. The way you act here, I'm sure you think
there's nothing wrong with this. You probably don't even know there's
anything wrong with this. I suspect you're in middle or high school.
Right? Ask your English teacher about plagiarism and copyright, things
you should already have studied and know about. These are interesting
issues, not that this would mean anything to you either. Enjoy. This
will be my only response to what you write here.

--

Consumer: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Old February 22nd 10, 02:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Clyde Crashcup

Goldie, you dope, it's obvious that this was credited in an earlier post in your
long-winder "collecting experience" thread.
But just in case you missed it:
Right Man Syndrome by Andrew T. Austin
An Exploration of Right Man Syndrome By
Andrew T. Austin, author, trainer, therapist.
http://www.rightmansyndrome.com/

Old February 22nd 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Clyde Crashcup

[...]

You're a textbook "right man", Goldie.
The saddest part is that instead of gaining some insight into how others see you
and learning about your not-so-peculiar pathology, you lash out with a trumped
up "plagiarism" charge.
I'd killfile you but you are just such a blustering, self-important ass, I'd
miss the humor your rants provide.

Old February 28th 10, 04:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jason[_6_]

On Feb 21, 7:00*pm, "Clyde Crashcup" wrote:
[...]

All this from a man who's only useful contribution to society in over
55 years has been to fail to kill himself thus leaving himself a
vegetable for the rest of us to pay for!

Reid Not Dead Phil DeMayo Coins 15 June 27th 06 11:25 PM
wtb: Brandon Reid Michael A. Contant Hockey 0 July 28th 05 11:34 PM
Hi Reid. Byron L. Reed Coins 69 July 16th 04 05:24 AM
looks rather like what Jonathan describes... david isaacson Pens & Pencils 0 March 5th 04 06:21 AM
Tara Reid Tim Bendall Autographs 0 September 16th 03 09:43 PM