Wow, it's dead here and everywhere

Old April 14th 06, 10:36 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Default Wow, it's dead here and everywhere

I noticed all the boards and groups are on a massive decline (I've not
checked Star Archive though) reporting ttm successes. It's all about
conventions and events now. Kind of sad.

So slow is it, I've resorted to buying graphs from former collectors
selling off their collections. I just bought 7 graphs from a
collector in the UK of minor LOTR people. And one off Ebay from
another collector I know (Harry Potter signature) who also is dumping
his collection. Kind of sad seeing this. Luckily, because nobody
wants these items, I got them all cheap. These two collectors were
huge inspirations to me (they'd find people and keep me looking and on
my toes). I'd see they found new people so I'd look for those people
PLUS more people and they'd go to my site to see who I found and see
who else they could find etc. That was actually kind of the fun (and
the worst part all at the same time) So of the 5 people who used to
be my competitors in some way now, only one collects and not so much!
It's not just Star Wars or LOTR or Potter or even Pirates (the main
areas I collect). It seems nobody is reporting much else. One friend
collects Sports and his successes are way down and another Phantom of
the Opera and theatre and that's down a bit too.

I will take the summer to do other things, but I think come fall, I'll
be trying again a few to see if it picks up. Eventually the cycle
should come back I think! Maybe all here will do the same...

Old April 14th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

It's Easter Weekend, and everyone is enjoying the warm weather!

Chip

Old April 14th 06, 11:22 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

Compared to last year it's dramatic, up to the point there's no real sense
in trying ttm at the moment.

Robert

"Sue H" schreef in bericht

Old April 14th 06, 11:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I've got two items in the mail-

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

pe2

Old April 15th 06, 12:11 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

With the older stars finding out what kind of money can be made on the show
circuit, I doubt very seriously as time goes on, many will sign for free.

Personally-I like the conventions. If you know that when and where a celeb
will be, you can pay the $$$, get the items you want signed and have a photo
op if they allow!

pe2

Old April 15th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

The problem with that though is like book signings. I really hate
paying for graphs I can't get myself...it's really only worth the
money to me if you get to meet the celeb and get a photo too...but
most of the Conventions are not around here! And the prices are nuts.
i got a feeling people will get sick of paying eventually and after
certain celebs make the rounds and realize there's not much money to
be had anymore, they'll stop.

Old April 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

I predicted the TTM shortage 3 years ago. I said that it would take
road agents and managers that long to scoop up most of the TTM signers. So
you pay them via their official website or at conventions. People who do 2
commercials are showing up at cons now and people pay them.. LMAO... I hate
book signings because they usually only sign the book. Actually the last
Hollywood Collectors Show was their biggest attendance/money maker yet. The
profit that shows are making have continued to increase in the last 5 years
dramatically. And guess what? It's mostly THE SAME OLD CELEBS at the shows..
haha.. not much new and they are still drawing more. The Hollywood
Collectors Show is going into a few more States now due to the big business.
Who knows, one might come your way soon. Until then, as always, I'd be happy
to get you sigs at a show... or help you get around if you decide to fly out
here for one .

Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com

Old April 15th 06, 04:19 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

This is the thing... like you said, it's mostly the same old celebs.
Those you know and don't mind paying for (like Dukes, Happy Days or
whatever). But there are a TON that used to sign by mail that don't
now that we appreciate just as much or more. In my case, Pirates of
the Caribbean is something I like; none of the actors playing lesser
pirates have signed lately. They are really only stunt actors many of
them and I don't see where they are flooded with mail...and likewise,
I don't see conventions for Pirates. So I am not able to get a better
collection of something I really enjoy. This is my beef. I always
knew certain people would do cons and I am ok with that to an extent.
But the ones that don't do shows, it's too hard to get them at all!

Old April 17th 06, 02:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.autographs

That's sad...