Silver Bullion Storage ?

Old January 8th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Silver Bullion Storage ?

Wanted to ask if storing silver bullion in a cedar lined box (new
humidor w/o tobacco) would affect / accelerate toning ?

just curious, but love toned coins

Old January 8th 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"BBQ n BLUES" wrote in message
Wanted to ask if storing silver bullion in a cedar lined box (new
humidor w/o tobacco) would affect / accelerate toning ?

just curious, but love toned coins

There are several ebay sellers that could explain exactly how to get
colourful toning quickly. :-) Billy

Old January 9th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

note.boy wrote:
"BBQ n BLUES" wrote in message
Wanted to ask if storing silver bullion in a cedar lined box (new
humidor w/o tobacco) would affect / accelerate toning ?

just curious, but love toned coins

There are several ebay sellers that could explain exactly how to get
colourful toning quickly. :-) Billy

There are ways to quickly tone a silver coin. Stick one in a backed
potato, turn the oven on 350, cook for 35 minutes and you'll get
somethink akin to toning.

There are other ways, but that is the most harmless. No one would be
fooled.

You see, Billy, there is an element of purism that should be adhered
to. Naturally toned coins that are beautifully toned are rare and thus
worth more money. Mass produced toned coins or trash toned coins on the
market only strengthen the case for natural toning. If you have ever
seen a perfectly and naturally toned silver coin, especially a proof
coin, you would immediately know that effect could not be artificially
produced with the same results.

Artificial toning is akin to "counterfeiting" in most respects and to
most collectors. Folks do try different kinds of holders and paper
types to acheive different results, but when you start adding heat
and/or humidity to the process to do in weeks or hours or minutes what
should take YEARS, the value is diminished and usually the results. -
Definitely the value is affected.

Just food for thought.

abi

Old January 9th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"abi" wrote in message
oups.com...
note.boy wrote:
"BBQ n BLUES" wrote in message
[...]

Another one that has fallen for the marketing ploy that pretty damage isn't
really damage

Old January 9th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I'm NOT interested in 'creating' a toned coin... just curious if the
naturally occurring cedar oil will be harmful. The humidor fits in the
bank vault perfectly

Old January 10th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"BBQ n BLUES" wrote in message
Wanted to ask if storing silver bullion in a cedar lined box (new
humidor w/o tobacco) would affect / accelerate toning ?

just curious, but love toned coins

If it's dry and steady temps it won't tone at all. Plus you have to keep it
immobile--it'll get all scuffed up over time from sliding around. I have an
old Morgan that was worn down to a XF on the reverse just from sliding
around in a cedar box for many decades. It looks really cool but damaged up.

Old January 10th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 13:40:35 -0600, (BBQ n BLUES)
stated:

Wanted to ask if storing silver bullion in a cedar lined box (new
humidor w/o tobacco) would affect / accelerate toning ?

just curious, but love toned coins

Just put some paper in there and you should be good to go.
Old January 12th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

snip

Another one that has fallen for the marketing ploy that pretty damage isn't
really damage

LOL - Since I've made good coin buying and selling toned (or 'damaged'
if you insist) coins, I guess I have fallen for it. Not only am I that
ignert, I also used some of that money to buy my kids an Xbox 360 -
talk about falling for a marketing ploy!

But they were happy.

I'm partial to toned proofs and actually like them enough to pay
through the nose sometimes. Of course, I also collect mint errors and
those have treated me well as an investment. Same thing, yes? Damage
can equal premium price. Just go wreck a car you bought for $5,000 that
books for $8,500 and see what I mean! there's plenty of examples of
damage making something better to some people. Think eggs.

Pretty damage in well toned coins do bring a premium price. That's a
fact. There are all kinds of collectors of coins and you seem to be a
'bright whiter' and that's fine. You also fell for the marketing ploy
that undamaged coins are worth anythign but melt. Same ploy. I don't
know how old you are, but if you remember when the buyers for the
smelters rented hotel rooms and bought silver for melt, they didn't
care if it was an MS-67 Carson City or a couple of run over by a truck
liberty halves, they paid melt price for silver content. Period. So,
there goes the whole theory...

Marketing ploys are what keep the industry alive...the biggest
marketing ploy in recent history is the statehood quarters. Glad it
happened, but there are so many minted that it'll take a thousand years
for them to be worth anything. Or, to be more succinct, Not in THIS
lifetime! Or our kids! My kids wanted to collect them and I told them
to stick to the indian head cents or wheats or liberty dimes or
something already somewhat scarce...

I make a living marketing, so had to say something! LOL

abi