Looking Back #44 - Canal Zone Has Sticky Stamp Problem

Old August 24th 05, 03:21 AM
Blair (TC)

Default Looking Back #44 - Canal Zone Has Sticky Stamp Problem

Canal Zone Has Sticky Stamp Problem

Atmospheric conditions in the Canal Zone are a problem
to the postal authorities there in shipping stamps to
philatelic customers, a problem to insure that mint
stamps will reach their destinations in prime condition.

It is a matter to which they give serious attention,
and W. L. Howard, postmaster at the Philatelic Agency,
at Balboa Heights, informs me that they are now dusting
the gum side of stamps with unscented talcum powder,
widely practiced by collectors in tropical climates to
prevent the gum from sticking.

The department is anxious that all stamps reach their
patrons in good condition and this is one method they
are employing to achieve satisfactory results.

- George B. Sloane
Sloane's Column
Stamps
December 2, 1939

Old August 24th 05, 05:28 AM
Pierre Courtiade

Blair (TC) wrote :
Canal Zone Has Sticky Stamp Problem

Atmospheric conditions in the Canal Zone are a problem
to the postal authorities there in shipping stamps to
philatelic customers, a problem to insure that mint
stamps will reach their destinations in prime condition.

It is a matter to which they give serious attention,
and W. L. Howard, postmaster at the Philatelic Agency,
at Balboa Heights, informs me that they are now dusting
the gum side of stamps with unscented talcum powder,
widely practiced by collectors in tropical climates to
prevent the gum from sticking.

The department is anxious that all stamps reach their
patrons in good condition and this is one method they
are employing to achieve satisfactory results.

- George B. Sloane
Sloane's Column
Stamps
December 2, 1939

Thanks, Blair !

Some years before that time, France issued for the then "Colonies",
stamps with a so called "Gomme coloniale" (Colonial gum).
I know very little on this subject but I am sure that others will tell
us everything on this French style gum (how to differentiate from
standard gum, efficiency, chemical differences w/standard gum, ...)

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old August 24th 05, 07:37 AM

Hi

SCADTA stamps in Colombia used to have a glassine like interleaving
between the sheets of stamps to prevent sticking. Unfortunately the
interleaving stuck to the stamps. The price for stamps with
interleaving attached is not all that much different than without
attached interleaving.

Jerry B

Old August 24th 05, 03:51 PM
Blair (TC)

Salut Pier

If you have an int4erest in this gum, there is
an article that may interest you.

"=C0 propos de la gomme coloniale"
par Jean-Fran=E7ois Brun
"Bulletin de la COL.FRA" (n=B0106, IV=B0/2003)

http://www.colfra.com/

Blair

Old August 24th 05, 09:07 PM
Pierre Courtiade

Blair (TC) a écrit :
Salut Pier

If you have an interest in this gum, there is
an article that may interest you.

"À propos de la gomme coloniale"
par Jean-François Brun
"Bulletin de la COL.FRA" (n°106, IV°/2003)

http://www.colfra.com/

Merci beaucoup, Blair !

If I can't get hold of this n° 106 of the Col.Fra bulletin, I will ask
it to Jean-François next time I meet him :-)

--
All the best,
Pierre

Old August 24th 05, 09:51 PM