Wollensak 8080

Old December 27th 04, 04:40 PM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Dec 2004 12:32:26 GMT, (Yodedude2) wrote:

Ah yes, but it was my understanding that he/she didn't use fixed intonation;
the Moog was set up to change temperament with each key change in the score. snip

Bach hardly even did changes of key signature in the middle of a
piece. The Mean Temperament of the era wouldn't allow it, which is
why he vigorously promoted the new "Well Temperament" with his "Well
Temepered Klavier" pieces, thus proving that a move away from Mean
Temperament (and, as it turned out, toward Equal) allowed for the use
of the use of modulation, a compositional tool explored energetically
in the Romantic Era.

but I can
hear beating notes and 'out-of-tuneness' on a properly-tuned and set-up guitar
at times. snip

Normal when tuned properly and set up for Equal Temperament. In ET,
fifths are slightly narrowed and fourths are more aggressively sharped
which provides some "sourness," but also allows for easy modulation
from key to key.

that is why I'm also interested in hearing more about the Buzz
Feitien (sp?) tuning system. Buzz has developed a different tempered tuning
set-up for guitar that helps the intonation of fretted notes. snip

Not familiar. Alternative tunings for guitar are a favorite pasttime,
it seems.

dB
Old December 28th 04, 04:37 AM
Bluemuse

that is why I'm also interested in hearing more about the Buzz
Feitien (sp?) tuning system. Buzz has developed a different tempered tuning
set-up for guitar that helps the intonation of fretted notes. snip

Not familiar. Alternative tunings for guitar are a favorite pasttime,
it seems.

The Feiten system isn't alternative tuning, but rather has something to do with
changing the position of the nut for certain of the strings, and I believe the
bridge placement as well. So it's a change of effective string length at both
ends (for some strings only) while leaving the frets where they are. I've not
looked into it very much, but have heard both positive and negative things
about it. The fact that it hasn't really taken off leads me to wonder if it's
more trouble than it's worth.

--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin
Old December 28th 04, 05:21 AM
DeserTBoB

On 28 Dec 2004 04:37:16 GMT, (Bluemuse) wrote:

The Feiten system isn't alternative tuning, but rather has something to do with
changing the position of the nut for certain of the strings, and I believe the
bridge placement as well. So it's a change of effective string length at both
ends (for some strings only) while leaving the frets where they are. snip

....and what, praytell, is that supposed to do, exactly? If you vary
the bridge and/or nut, you vary the vibrating length of the string,
which simply means you tighten the string to bring it right back up to
pitch again...thus accomplishing nothing. AFAIK, all modern fretted
instruments are laid out in Equal Temperament (although I'd say that
less than about 10% of their players understand that concept) and thus
can modulate from key to key without significant "sourness" associated
with mean temperaments, such as those found in the baroque. It is, in
a way, a fixed intonation instrument like a piano, harpsichord pipe
organ and so on, although pitch can be "bent" by the player (whammy
bar, anyone?) unlike the string family, which is a free intonation
group of instruments, as is the human voice.

Most string players play close to just temperament when it comes to
closely grouped notes; thus, although the music may modulate from key
to key (such as in any orchestral work after the close of the Baroque
Era) the player simply adjusts to the new key and plays more-or-less
"perfect" thirds, fourths and fifths from the tonic of that key.
Symphony grade players, of course, know when and when NOT to do this,
and a healthy vibrato covers many sins.

dB
Old December 28th 04, 05:53 AM
winnard

"DeserTBoB" wrote in message
On 28 Dec 2004 04:37:16 GMT, (Bluemuse) wrote:

The Feiten system isn't alternative tuning, but rather has something to

do with
changing the position of the nut for certain of the strings, and I

believe the
bridge placement as well. So it's a change of effective string length at

both
ends (for some strings only) while leaving the frets where they are.

snip

...and what, praytell, is that supposed to do, exactly?

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

I played a Les Paul with this tuning mod and it was perfect all up and down
the fretboard.
I'm going to have my Les Paul retrofitted one of these days, I just can't
stand to be away from it for very long, and worry about it sitting at the
shop all cold and lonely.

winnard

Old December 28th 04, 12:56 PM
Yodedude2

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/

Thanks for the link, Winnard. So, Buzz seems to claim that his tuning system
is more 'even-tempered' than the normal guitar tuning and intonation system.
There are some heavy hitters on that endorsee list, including a couple of bass
players (Stu Hamm and Dave Holland). Very interesting! later, ron
Old December 28th 04, 03:36 PM
Bluemuse

I wonder how well it works in a band situation? I've seen enough bands that
can't seem to tune to the same note regardless, that something like BFTS isn't
going to help them. But assuming the players do indeed have the ability to
tune, what about instances when not everyone in the band adopts the system?
Hmmm.
--Bob Farace

"I only believe in fire." --Anais Nin

Wollensak value DeserTBoB 8 Track Tapes 19 October 30th 04 06:00 PM
Wollensak 8075 acavc30 8 Track Tapes 0 December 29th 03 10:49 PM
Wollensak 8050 vs. Akai 80-81-82 NO CONTEST trippin2-8track 8 Track Tapes 0 December 17th 03 11:08 PM