Ecuador ID nat def and tobacco.

Old April 9th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Ecuador ID nat def and tobacco.

Seeking assistance to ID these three please.
http://cjoint.com/data/ekqLEsmDmq.htm

Thank you.

Old April 9th 09, 02:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rodney.

The first two stamps are excise-revenue-fiscal and I know absolutely nothing
about them.

The third stamp shows the Monastery of the Assumption in Cuenca in the
province of Azuay. The town of Cuena (actually Santa Ana of the Four Rivers
of Cuenca) was founded in the late 1600s by a Spanish chappie (Gil Dávalos)
who named it after his home town in Spain. The Monastery of El Carmén (at
least, the church) as it is affectionately known, was one of the first
buildings to go up. The stamp was issued on January 2, 1956.

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 9th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Thanks very much Tony,
I can put the fiscals away in their correct folder.
El Carmen was SG1060 (from what looks like a nice long set)

To "clean up" Ecuador, I have 3 others as posers,
two are not mine, they may have been sent to me or posted on RCSD
on some earlier date.
Just in case you may recognise any
http://cjoint.com/data/ekrRXwPGgs.htm

Old April 9th 09, 03:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Hi Rod, it's me again.

The first one is an 1872 regular issue, white paper, perf 11

The second: I read somewhere (I should start taking notes) that most
"Provisional" on Ecuador and somewhere else are stop-gap stamps, i.e.
changing denomination of a stamp through an overprint until new stamps are
made available-printed-issued-whatever. One of the meanings of provisional
is temporary (e.g. central provisional = temporary headquarters). I find
your stamp neither in my Scott nor in my Forbin. Sorry!

The third: In 1969 a set of 12, perf 14, overprinted and surcharged was
issued of this design. Scott notes that the design was not issued without
the surcharge.

Hope this helps.
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 9th 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Found it Tony.

Cherrystone Auctions $12,500

1928 Surcharged "75 Cts" on 15c carmine, unused without gum, some black
marks at top and bottom (little toning), otherwise v.f. example of this
unissued variety. Only a few exist unused, with Jean-Francois Brun cert.
(Sanabria No. 8, catalogue value in 1972 $8500 for unused, only $1000 for
used)

In 1928 the Sociedad Colombiana de Transportes Aereos (SCADTA), already
operating in Colombia since 1919, obtained official permission to fly mail
between Guayaquil and Barranquilla. The company was also given permission to
issue its own stamps, which were overprinted on "Ecuador Provisional" on
stamps of Colombia (SCADTA).

Lot 1197 contains the letters "CTS" variety (Scott C2var; see footnote after
C6), which the regular stamp does not have. There are very few unused
examples of this varietey, which is listed in Yvert and only priced used,
where it has a catalogue value of €15,000.

The stamp is estimated to sell at auction for $12,500.

"Tony Vella"

Old April 9th 09, 05:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Tony Vella"
Hi Rodney.
The first two stamps are excise-revenue-fiscal and I know absolutely
nothing about them.

Looks like one is postal Tony,
I only have the SG simplified, but an explanation

"Oblong tobacco tax stamps overprinted "casa-correos"
SG407 1c red (loco)
It looks like it is this one
http://cjoint.com/data/ektULbPigi.htm

Old April 9th 09, 05:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Vella

Right you are, Rodney. I missed it completely.
It's a Postal Tax Stamp issued in 1940 (Scott #RA45),
Cat. value M/U $0.50 and $0.20.
Also known with a double overprint, Cat. value M/U $3.50, $3.50
--
Tony Vella
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Old April 9th 09, 06:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan[_2_]

The first two are postal tax stamps.
Scott RA45 (1940) and RA59 (1944)

Jay Carrigan email address on web site