!INFO PLEASE

Old August 28th 05, 04:33 PM
user

Default !INFO PLEASE

I have two questions that I am hoping someone can help answer:

(1) recently I received a copy of a new book from the publisher as a
readng copy for purposes of writing a book review. This copy was
billed as "Advanced Reader Copy." However, when I received the book,
there is nothing on the book to suggest that it is an ARC; that is,
nowhere does it state that it is an ARC. Not having a great deal of
experience with ARC's, I am asking, How does one identitfy ARC's if
not printed on the book somewhere?

(2) I've heard mention of a publisher code on the dust jacket in the
UPC code block. Is there some resource that will allow one to decipher
these publisher codes?

Thanks for any assistance.

Old August 28th 05, 08:43 PM
Jon Meyers

user wrote:
I have two questions that I am hoping someone can help answer:

(1) recently I received a copy of a new book from the publisher as a
readng copy for purposes of writing a book review. This copy was
billed as "Advanced Reader Copy." However, when I received the book,
there is nothing on the book to suggest that it is an ARC; that is,
nowhere does it state that it is an ARC. Not having a great deal of
experience with ARC's, I am asking, How does one identitfy ARC's if
not printed on the book somewhere?

If there is no statement anywhere on the book that it is an ARC--or
uncorrected proof, or advance uncorrected proof, or bound galley, or
some other variation--then it probably isn't one. Most likely, it's a
paperback book-club edition; look for an alphanumeric code printed
vertically near the bound edge on the last (or last printed) leaf.
Also, if there is a simple "Printed in the USA" statement on the back
cover, it's almost certainly a BCE. I could give you better
information if you told me the specific book you're talking about, and
what it does say on the covers and copyright page.

Mixing up ARCs and paperback BCEs is a common mistake; a while back, a
seller on eBay was offering a BCE of Michael Chabon's "The Amazing
Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"--with the same cover art as the
hardcover--but calling it the ARC. The true ARC of Chabon's book uses
Random House's generic blue-&-white tiny-houses pattern wraps, and it is
easlily identifiable as an advance copy.

(2) I've heard mention of a publisher code on the dust jacket in the
UPC code block. Is there some resource that will allow one to decipher
these publisher codes?

You're talking about the ISBN--International Standard Book Number--which
appears in the UPC block, and on the copyright page and sometimes on one
of the dustjacket flaps. This 10-(soon to be 13-)digit number is
divided into 4 sections, the second of which is the number that
identifies the publisher. For example, 14 is Penguin, and 316 is
Little, Brown. Some numbers are used for more than one imprint from the
same publisher--Random House has dozens of imprints, and the identifier
on any of them might be 679, 394, 375, or others--and some numbers have
changed "allegiance" when publishing houses have changed ownership.

For more about ISBNs, consult http://www.isbn-international.org/ (look
at the User's Manual), and
http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbnqa.asp

--Jon Meyers
Old August 28th 05, 08:52 PM
Jon Meyers

Jon Meyers wrote:
user wrote:

I have two questions that I am hoping someone can help answer:

(1) recently I received a copy of a new book from the publisher as a
readng copy for purposes of writing a book review. This copy was
billed as "Advanced Reader Copy." However, when I received the book,
there is nothing on the book to suggest that it is an ARC...

If there is no statement anywhere on the book that it is an ARC--or
uncorrected proof, or advance uncorrected proof, or bound galley, or
some other variation--then it probably isn't one...

[Sigh] I'm getting old: Somehow, I glossed right over the detail that
you received this directly from the publisher, which it makes it much
less likely (to say the least) that it is a book-club edition. As I
said in my first post, it would help if you'd describe your book more
fully--but since it came from the publisher, is this perhaps a very
early galley state in plain wrappers?

--Jon Meyers
Old August 29th 05, 02:15 AM
user

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:52:02 -0500, Jon Meyers
wrote:

Jon Meyers wrote:
user wrote:

[...]

Thank you for yor reply, Jon.

The book I received is Margaret Coel's latest book, THE EYE OF THE
WOLF. It was billed as, "reviewers will receive an Advanced Reader
Copy" (paraphrased).

However, the book that arrived says it is a First/First.

Since the book is (supposedly) not yet actually released, I have no
way of comparing it to a store copy, but it appears to be a regular
trade edition and not an ARC.

I am not talking about the ISBN. I understand what that is. What I am
talking about is the other number (which I have been told is some kind
of publishers' code). On this specific book, the ISBN is:

0-425-20546-0

The other number is:

52395

It is a number that is to the right of the ISBN.

As I said, I've been told that this is some kind of publisher code and
have also been told that it has something to do with whether or not
the dust wrapper is matched to the volume.

Old August 29th 05, 05:15 AM
Jon Meyers

user wrote:

The book I received is Margaret Coel's latest book, THE EYE OF THE
WOLF. It was billed as, "reviewers will receive an Advanced Reader
Copy" (paraphrased).

However, the book that arrived says it is a First/First.

Since the book is (supposedly) not yet actually released, I have no
way of comparing it to a store copy, but it appears to be a regular
trade edition and not an ARC.

Yes, publishers often send out regular trade copies as review copies.
An "Advance Reading (or Review) Copy" might be a specially printed &
marked trade-sized paperback (or occasionally a hardcover), or it might
be just what you got, an ordinary copy of the book as it will be sold.
Publishers' & collectors' terminologies are two distinct vocabularies.

I am not talking about the ISBN. I understand what that is. What I am
talking about is the other number (which I have been told is some kind
of publishers' code). On this specific book, the ISBN is:

0-425-20546-0

The other number is:

52395

It is a number that is to the right of the ISBN.

As I said, I've been told that this is some kind of publisher code and
have also been told that it has something to do with whether or not
the dust wrapper is matched to the volume.

The first digit, 5, signifies that the book is priced in US currency;
the last four digits are the price (2395 = $23.95). For additional
currency codes, see this page:
http://www.barcode-us.com/info_cente...uppcontent.htm

--Jon Meyers

Old August 29th 05, 03:23 PM
user

wrote:

user wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jon ... I appreciate the links.

John Hartford 8Tracks lurches 8 Track Tapes 4 September 4th 12 09:54 PM
Euro collecting info? Scot Kamins Coins 4 February 25th 04 12:27 AM
Alexander III - need info Scott Golby Coins 15 January 20th 04 05:11 AM
Ted Rami info Dutch Autographs 0 November 14th 03 05:56 PM
NEW INFO!! - Pre-Washington Pen Show Event at Bertram's Inkwell Dulles Speebob Pens & Pencils 0 August 8th 03 02:07 AM