Venezuela

Old August 1st 05, 02:04 PM
Blair (TC)

Default Venezuela

Rodney wrote:

Then I had a few from Venezuela that
had no showing in Gibbons either.

====================================

Rodney:

Post a scan and we'll take a shot at it.

Blair

Old August 1st 05, 03:24 PM

Hi Rodney,

If you can email me the scans I will look them up for you. I have a
specialized Venezuela catalog. This is one of the 3 countries that I
collect.

E-Mail to jabodoff at sbcglobal dot net
( change at and dot to characters ).

Jerry Bodoff

Old August 2nd 05, 12:31 AM
Rodney

Hello Jerry, Blair,
as you might imagine, I am in transition here,
realising, as Blair, the SG simplified does not cut it
as ones collection grows.

I have Identified these (roughly) with my 1963 catalogue
so thanks for the offer, they were just some of these.........
http://cjoint.com/data/iccbUepNEY.htm

which the simplified does not consider.

Best Regards

Old August 2nd 05, 03:49 AM
Blair (TC)

Hi Rodney:

Venezuela - State of Guayana
Location Map:
http://www.sandafayre.com/atlas/venezia.htm

The Province of Guayana is a strip of land that was
formerly disputed by Spain and the United Kingdom.
(It was sometimes called Spanish Guyana.) Today,
it can be considered anything from a very narrow
strip of land lying along the Venezuelan border to
as much as two thirds of Guayana's territory.
(Guyana was formerly British Guyana, while French
Guiana remains a separate nation.)

So how did Venezuela lose the Guyana territory it
claimed? As the situtation grew tense, the United
States intervened, forcing an arbitration by an
international commission consisting of Great Britain,
Russia and the United States - all colonial powers.

With no one on the commission representing free South
Americans, how could Venezuela win? France (another
colonial power) gave most of the territory to the
British in 1899.

Simon Bolivar had great dreams for the Province of
Guyana, where Alexander von Humboldt had just found
vast mineral richess. He planned the South American
capital (Ciudad Guyana) there. Although he never
realized his dream, neither was it forgotten. Some
say Venezuelan Guyana still exists in the form of
the state of Bolivar.

Stamps Issued : March 1903
Issued by a group of revolutionists during the
1899-1903 civil war, with limited local use.

Image: Revolutionary Steamship Banrigh

typographed - perf 12

Scott # Denom. colour paper mint used
1 5c black gray $19.00 $19.00
2 10c black orange $47.50 $47.50
3 25c black pink $19.00 $19.00
4 50c black blue $30.00 $30.00
5 1b black straw $25.00 $25.00

Many counterfeits exist on papers of different colours
or on granite paper (5c) or in Red colour (10c, 50c)

http://www.scvs.com/stamp/pix/3577-ven.jpg

Blair

Old August 2nd 05, 11:44 AM
Rodney

Marvellous, Blair.
complements the recent posts you made on Belize.
Thank you very much.

I have been tossing up whether to post a large story on
the Stamps of Tierra del Fuego, by Otto Hornung IIRC, but in the end thought I may be
transgressing copyright too far.

Interesting part of the world at that time, esp for some Australians.