US Varieties list?

Old June 19th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default US Varieties list?

For some time now, I have begun to list in a separate folder
US varieties that I may search for, when poring over an
auction purchase, that may otherwise appear mundane.
(For example the cracked plate variety of the Independence Hall)

I wonder if there may be an on-line list of some other examples ?
Thanks.

Old June 20th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod wrote:
For some time now, I have begun to list in a separate folder
US varieties that I may search for, when poring over an
auction purchase, that may otherwise appear mundane.
(For example the cracked plate variety of the Independence Hall)

I wonder if there may be an on-line list of some other examples ?
Thanks.

If such a list does exist it must be very long. The Flag over Porch has
at least 17 varieties as does the new Sea Coast. When you get into the
coils the plate number must be collected to tell the difference. Some
booklets are in the same boat.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old June 20th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Yep, I'd understand that Ralphael,
and true for all countries possibly.
I have a "major" list of all Oz varieties that I look for
when sorting, which doesn't include KG5 shades etc.
There are major hints for scrutinisation like the Harding perf etc
I am interested in those.

Old June 21st 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod wrote:
Yep, I'd understand that Ralphael,
and true for all countries possibly.
I have a "major" list of all Oz varieties that I look for
when sorting, which doesn't include KG5 shades etc.
There are major hints for scrutinisation like the Harding perf etc
I am interested in those.

Now I have a better understanding of what you are looking for.
I have seen the "major" list for the Flag Over Porch, the Sea Coast and
the recent Flag stamps. Other lists must exist. Some of the definitives
Mystic lists in some of its sales ads. I don't like to do the perf
thing because I have a difficult time with some of the 10.6 type perf.
The little purple light also gives me a fit. I don't even try paper
types or the shades.
I agree, other countries have their own varieties, just look at the
Machins.

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old June 21st 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

A good tip for perfs Ralphael,
keep a page of unmounted examples as templates.
Then you can keep the perf guage in the drawer.
Just run the scrutinisation lot up against the template
you can tell in seconds any anomolies.

Old June 22nd 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod wrote:
A good tip for perfs Ralphael,
keep a page of unmounted examples as templates.
Then you can keep the perf guage in the drawer.
Just run the scrutinisation lot up against the template
you can tell in seconds any anomolies.

Many thanks for the reminder Rod. I had thought about doing that but
never got round2it. Procrastination is one of my many ailments. :-)

Ralphael, the OLD one

Old June 30th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Whatever list you may have there is nothing to beat a good old scrutiny
of every stamp you aquire against a known "control" copy. Who knows -
you might discover a whole new variety ( it has happened!!)
Malcolm