Does Akai Mod Work For Static Problem?

Old September 14th 07, 05:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

Default Does Akai Mod Work For Static Problem?

Anyone have success in eliminating the static/crackling problem in
Akai/Roberts decks by using the Akai mod? I know there is a ton of
archive info regarding this issue, and one theory is to add 1 uF cap
in parallel to the sensing poles by the recording head.
I own a Roberts 808D that crackles in the right channel on most tapes
after it auto changes tracks. When the tape is first inserted and
tracks are manually changed the problem is not apparent. Only when the
player auto changes does the static appear.
I also read that the problem could be attributed to a loose ground
wire connected to the screw that holds the head in place. By
tightening the screw the ground wire will then make proper contact and
eliminate the static.
Do either of these procedures really correct the problem? I'd use this
Roberts deck alot more if I could eliminate the crackling! BTW....this
deck has a cool after mod, the previous owner had a pause mode added
on using a toggle switch and an extra light that comes on when
engaged! I would really like to get this deck to play the way it
should. The sound is very nice otherwise.

Old September 14th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DOUCHE-boob's futile system[_2_]

I performed a mod on my Roberts 808D and Akai 81D- this mod will make the
program track switch work reliably every time. It's a proprietary mod and
procedure I developed myself, after giving it much thought- so I can't share
it at this time. I will upgrade any Akai deck for $20 plus shipping both
ways, if you want this done.

The graphite problem, will also trick the auto stop circuit in the Pioneer
HR-99/100 decks- causing them to auto stop in the middle of a program,
instead of at the end. The Pioneers will also crackle with an old tape with
playside loose graphite- but not as bad.

Static problem- you really can't eliminate that entirely. It is caused by
loose graphite hitting the tape head, on a high-end deck that was designed
to give an upper limit of 15khz-18khz high end response. The tape deck
circuit responds to little pieces of graphite, as if they are part of the
music recorded as static, if you get my drift. The static will reoccur
exactly the same way, at the same part of the tape- just like music. If
you listen to the tapes that have static, you'll find that it makes the
static in the same place, and the same type of static- i.e. it's on the
tape- i.e. it's loose graphite on the FRONT play side of the tape, hitting
the head.

This same loose graphite, is slightly conductive and is what drains the Akai
program switch capacitor prematurely, causing the 80-81-82 decks not to
switch tracks. A close inspection will reveal, the 82 deck system was
modified further to try to solve this problem, but even the 82 may not
switch tracks on an old tape, with lots of graphite transferred to the front
of the tape.

The key to getting rid of the static, is clean the FRONT SIDE of the tape
thoroughly. One way is to de-spool all the tape, and wipe both sides with
alcohol and a rag. This not only cleans the front play side, but also the
back side- and removes LOOSE graphite, that is no longer adhered to the
tape.

Another mod is, put new pads in the tape, that are foam with no slick
surface on them (cut your own, or buy mine on Ebay, $10 per 100, plus $5
shipping)- the foam pads will act as scrubbers and clean off the loose
graphite from the back of the tape. Graphite that is properly adhered,
will not, and should not, come off the back of the tape in the first place.

If you put foam pads in without slick surface, they will actually "clean"
the tape, the more you play it- a transfer will occur, where loose graphite
that is on the front playside of the tape, will return/transfer to the
backside of the tape, then be picked up by the foam pads and removed. Radio
Shack had a similar machine that was made to clean tapes, but no one was
ever sharp enough to realize how it worked- and used it on new tapes that
didn't need it. If you find one of those RS cleaning machines, playing a
crackling tape in it long enough, will get rid of the crackling on the tape.

Crappy low-end decks with limited 12khz-14khz top end, won't crackle-
because of their limited upper bandwidth, the head cannot reproduce a
crackle, from the loose graphite- so they basically play muffled even when
working correctly- and you don't here the crackle.

get it ?

ups.com...

Old September 15th 07, 12:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 09:07:26 -0700, still_trackin
wrote:

Anyone have success in eliminating the static/crackling problem in
Akai/Roberts decks by using the Akai mod? snip

I can't say that it'd work...different configuration, different
circuit.

I also read that the problem could be attributed to a loose ground
wire connected to the screw that holds the head in place. By
tightening the screw the ground wire will then make proper contact and
eliminate the static. snip

A properly grounded head shell in imperative on ANY tape machine. It's
a major cause of "static" noise.

Do either of these procedures really correct the problem? I'd use this
Roberts deck alot more if I could eliminate the crackling! snip

Are you positive it's really triboelectric charge buildup on the tape?
"Crackling" is also a common symptom of a failing capacitor in the
signal path. That's a major problem on cartridge tapes, 8 track being
the worst. I had a Panasonic car deck that wouldn't crackle, but the
static discharge would attempt to launch my woofer cones with a
gigantic "POW" every now and then. After I started treating the
interiors of every cart I'd refurbish with anti-stat spray, I never
had another problem, even in the dry desert climate out here.

BTW....this
deck has a cool after mod, the previous owner had a pause mode added
on using a toggle switch and an extra light that comes on when
engaged! snip

If that simply cuts power to the motor, don't use it for more than a
couple of minutes at a time. It can mess up your pinch roller
bigtime, if it's a rubber one, and may cause a dropout in your tape if
there's any residual magnetism in the capstan shaft. PROPER
degaussing procedures eliminate that risk, but it's still not a good
policy.
Old September 15th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:00:15 -0400, "DOUCHE-boob's futile system"
wrote:

I performed a mod on my Roberts 808D and Akai 81D- this mod will make the
program track switch work reliably every time. It's a proprietary mod and
procedure I developed myself, after giving it much thought- so I can't share
it at this time. I will upgrade any Akai deck for $20 plus shipping both
ways, if you want this done. snip

Bull**** and another Charlie Nudo con job. The mod is readily
available on 8tradkheaven. Don't ask Nudo for any info about it at
all. He doesn't even understand how it works!
Old September 15th 07, 02:39 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:

I performed a mod on my Roberts 808D and Akai 81D- this mod will make the
program track switch work reliably every time. It's a proprietary mod and
procedure I developed myself, after giving it much thought- so I can't share
it at this time. I will upgrade any Akai deck for $20 plus shipping both
ways, if you want this done. snip

Bull**** and another Charlie Nudo con job. The mod is readily
available on 8tradkheaven. Don't ask Nudo for any info about it at
all. He doesn't even understand how it works!

Looks like another job for my tech buddy to look into. I'll have him
check to see if the head shell is properly grounded and if the
capacitor in the signal path is failing. Hopefully he can determine
the problem.
I'm currently using my working GXR-82D with no problems and excellent
sound quality. No static and always changes tracks. Head alignment
must be accurate....can't hear any track bleeding.
Going thru my deck collection has been an eye opener. I've sorted out
the good performers from the ones that need some work/repair. Thanks
again for the tech tips!

Old September 15th 07, 02:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DOUCHE-boob's futile system[_2_]

I find it hard to believe, that an 82D has no crossbleed- the glass head in
those decks, was notorious for loss-bass region crossbleed between tracks

but perhaps you got a good one

most of the ferrite glass 8-track heads from Akai, had defective masking on
the head- which allowed bass from adjacent tracks, to bleed into the ones
currently playing

my 82D has that trait

Old September 15th 07, 03:12 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
still_trackin

wrote:

[...]

again for the tech tips!- Hide quoted text -

Yeah it must be a good one. I haven't tried listening with headphones,
but I really don't hear anything in between tracks during normal
playback at 55db-65db. I guess if I got real critical I might notice a
very slight amount (with headphones) but not enough to be distracting
from normal listening sessions. Out of all my decks I'd say the 82D is
the most musical sounding along with the Telex changer. It seems to
squeeze out more information from the recordings than other decks.

Old September 15th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 09:41:04 -0400, "DOUCHE-boob's futile system"
wrote:

I find it hard to believe, that an 82D has no crossbleed- the glass head in
those decks, was notorious for loss-bass region crossbleed snip

Oh look...Noodles just invented a new term for a phenomenon that
doesn't exist.

Ignore Charlie Nudo...he's a complete moron.

most of the ferrite glass 8-track heads from Akai, had defective masking on
the head- which allowed bass from adjacent tracks, to bleed into the ones
currently playing,snip

That's not a "defective head," moron...that's a problem endemic with
having such narrow tracks all crammed together on narrow tape. I'm
not going to tell you WHY this happens...because you obviously do not
know...or what it's called. I rather enjoy watching you make a
complete ass out of yourself.
Old September 15th 07, 03:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 07:12:48 -0700, still_trackin
wrote:

Yeah it must be a good one.snip

No, it's because your heads are properly aligned. The head alignment
procedure for Akais is more complex than Charlie Nudo can handle, and
he uses phony "alignment tapes" he runs off on his misaligned home
machines to sell on fleaBay to misalign all the machines he
has...another very important reason not to buy anything regarding
audio from Charlie Nudo.

I haven't tried listening with headphones,
but I really don't hear anything in between tracks during normal
playback at 55db-65db. snip

Considering that the format, at best, has a S/N ratio of maybe 42 dB
(a bit more using high sensitivity/output tape that came later, but
still less than a good quality LP) much of the "crosstalk" that exists
on 8 track is covered up by noise, except in the bass region. Home
formats are well known to have crosstalk issues, which is why they're
home formats and never used in a studio. There's simply not enough
guard band width on 4 track or 8 track on ¼" tape to keep the
crosstalk components under the tape noise floor completely.
Old September 16th 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DOUCHEBob's few-tile efforts

perhaps someone changed the head on it, or you lucked out and got a later
model deck that had a good glass head

the double tracking problem with 82D is well known and quite problemsome,
it's why I never use my 82D, one gets sick of hearing the other tracks all
the time

yes, Telex and Akai are the best decks