Coin Holder Questions

Old May 31st 06, 10:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Coin Holder Questions

I apologize if these are dumb questions.

With the standard 'Fold and Staple', is there a particular brand to
purchase or stay away from? Will any mylar do?
Also, can I get away with just putting in a single staple? If more
staples are recommended, is it better to put one along each edge or
put them in at each corner?

I see there are Air-Tite Coin Holders which come with some kind of
foam insert and Direct Fit Air-Tite Coin Holders which do not require
the foam insert. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages
of each or when to use one versus the other.

TIA,
Brian

Old May 31st 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Randy Thompson wrote:
wrote:
I apologize if these are dumb questions.

With the standard 'Fold and Staple', is there a particular brand to
purchase or stay away from? Will any mylar do?
Also, can I get away with just putting in a single staple? If more
staples are recommended, is it better to put one along each edge or
put them in at each corner?

I don't think there is much difference in the brands. Some may be made
slightly better than others. Some seem to have a lot more cardboard
dust on them from when they were cut. Be sure and get this dust off
before putting in a coin or you will get tone spots from the dust bits.

I wouldn't try to use just one staple because the coin will likely slip
out. I always use four along the edges. I have seen some that used
three staples in a triangle (one at the top and two in the corners)
that seemed to work well. You don't want to coin slipping around too
much in there and you really don't want it falling out.

I see there are Air-Tite Coin Holders which come with some kind of
foam insert and Direct Fit Air-Tite Coin Holders which do not require
the foam insert. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages
of each or when to use one versus the other.

Can't help here since I never use these.

If you are only collecting post-1866 or post-1878 American coins in
better than average condition, then you might be better off to buy the
Air-tite direct fits. With these, you avoid concerns about the
chemical stability of the foam rings.

If you collect foreign coins, or earlier American coins (like Bust
halfs), or coins in low grade, then you might be forced to use the
ring-style holders to get the right snug fit. Too loose is not good.

I buy a lot of Airtites, mostly ring style, but as far as I'm
concerned, the jury is still out on their long-term inertness. I watch
them closely.

oly

Old May 31st 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? ?????? ??? ??????
news
I apologize if these are dumb questions.

No question is dumb!

With the standard 'Fold and Staple', is there a particular brand to
purchase or stay away from? Will any mylar do?
Also, can I get away with just putting in a single staple? If more
staples are recommended, is it better to put one along each edge or
put them in at each corner?

I see there are Air-Tite Coin Holders which come with some kind of
foam insert and Direct Fit Air-Tite Coin Holders which do not require
the foam insert. Can anyone tell me the advantages or disadvantages
of each or when to use one versus the other.

The only difference is that Direct Fit type holders are available in far
fewer diameters than the Ring type.
Both are made of the same inert materials.
Ring color is just a matter of personal taste;-)
Fine holders, excellent quality, I am using them all the time.
The same company is also making some astonishing beautiful wooden chests
which can store coins in Air-Tite holders.

rgrds

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

TIA,
Brian

Old June 1st 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:
? ?????? ??? ??????
news
[...]

I purchased several of the wooden display holders for Airtites a few
years ago, and was disappointed that the top would only open to
straight up (90 degrees). I would have much preferred that the top of
the case go all the way over to lay flat (180 degrees). Perhaps they
have fixed this limitation?

oly

Old June 2nd 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? "oly" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...

gogu wrote:
? ?????? ??? ??????
news
[...]

Yes!
This is the only thing I don't like but with a little pressure I managed to
get them opened (and stay there) at about 110-115 degrees...

I would have much preferred that the top of
the case go all the way over to lay flat (180 degrees). Perhaps they
have fixed this limitation?

Nope, as far as I know.
But nevertheless, nice heavy wooden chests for a classy presentation...

Old June 2nd 06, 12:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:
ups.com...

gogu wrote:
news I apologize if these are dumb questions.

No question is dumb!

[...]

The cases are nice, but until the tops will lay flat, there isn't any
point in owning more of them...

oly