What makes a collection complete?

Old May 28th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default What makes a collection complete?

Something I have been long wavering on. I have what I consider to be
complete sets of buffalo nickels, lincoln wheats,and walking liberties.
That is I have all dates/mintes represented. But i dont have the error
coins (1922 plain, 3 legged buffalo, ...).

So, while those gaping holes in the albums bother me, am still feel that
the sets are complete?

Any opinions on what "complete" is?

Old May 28th 06, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:34:13 GMT, RAR is alleged to
have written:
Something I have been long wavering on. I have what I consider to be
complete sets of buffalo nickels, lincoln wheats,and walking liberties.
That is I have all dates/mintes represented. But i dont have the error
coins (1922 plain, 3 legged buffalo, ...).

So, while those gaping holes in the albums bother me, am still feel that
the sets are complete?

Any opinions on what "complete" is?

Complete is what YOU define it to be. For myself, I think it's
perfectly okay not to have a22 plain or a three legger. I consider my
collection of Proof indian cents complete, though I do not have a
1864-L.

Bruce (And I likely never will. The 1859 was painful enough)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
Old May 28th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[Default] On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:56:34 GMT, "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)"
climbed to the top of the minaret and
sang out:

*********************************************** **
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
*********************************************** **

I have a set of 2 cent pieces missing only the 1873 proofs, and i
consider it to be complete.
Old May 28th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 28 May 2006 11:16:53 -0400, WheatPenny
is alleged to have written:

************************************************ *
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.
************************************************ *

I have a set of 2 cent pieces missing only the 1873 proofs, and i
consider it to be complete.

Do you have a copy of Flynn's two cent book? Best out so far, though
lots more varieties have been discovered since then.

Bruce

Old May 28th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Complete is what you determine it to be. The 1922 plain, 3 legged Buffalo,
etc., are just as you described, errors. If you were to include an example
of every error coin or variety made, the collection would so huge you
probably couldn't store it in an album. I consider my Lincoln cent
collection complete and I don't have the 1922 plain or the 1955/1955. There
is actually a Dansco album that doesn't have space for these.

--
Richard
My coin Links:

.16...

Old May 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[Default] On Sun, 28 May 2006 16:43:41 GMT, "Bruce H (BoxTurtle)"
[...]

No, I don't have that yet.
Old May 28th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 28 May 2006 12:48:11 -0400, Richard L. Hall wrote:

Complete is what you determine it to be. The 1922 plain, 3 legged Buffalo,
etc., are just as you described, errors. If you were to include an example
of every error coin or variety made, the collection would so huge you
probably couldn't store it in an album. I consider my Lincoln cent
collection complete and I don't have the 1922 plain or the 1955/1955. There
is actually a Dansco album that doesn't have space for these.

I agree. Varieties should not be considered as needed to complete a YR/MM
collection. You have to consider what you consider your collection. Now,
if you want to include all recognized varieties also, then you need them.

--
dw

Old May 28th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 28 May 2006 14:13:23 -0400, WheatPenny
is alleged to have written:

I have a set of 2 cent pieces missing only the 1873 proofs, and i
consider it to be complete.

Do you have a copy of Flynn's two cent book? Best out so far, though
lots more varieties have been discovered since then.

No, I don't have that yet.

I've got a spare I'd send you for the price of postage. Drop me an
email if you're interested.

Bruce (Don't forget to decode the addy)

Old May 28th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"RAR" wrote in message
.16...
Something I have been long wavering on. I have what I consider to be
complete sets of buffalo nickels, lincoln wheats,and walking liberties.
That is I have all dates/mintes represented. But i dont have the error
coins (1922 plain, 3 legged buffalo, ...).

So, while those gaping holes in the albums bother me, am still feel that
the sets are complete?

Any opinions on what "complete" is?

I agree with those who advise that "complete" is whatever YOU say it is.
That said, if you put your coins in albums, as many do, there is no
agreement as to what "special" coins the album makers choose. Whitman tends
to include more or them than does Dansco. But even Dansco has caved
somewhat in the last 25 years. Older Indian cent albums, for example, do
not have an opening for the 69/69 Indian; the current ones do. Older Dansco
buffalo nickel albums include neither the overdate nor the 3-legs; the
current ones include both. However, if you call Dansco and ask for their
rationale in including the overdate and 3-legs in the buffalo album but not
the 55/55 doubled die Lincoln or the 1942/41 Mercury dime in those
respective albums, they will give you some line about the high cost of these
latter two coins. Don't they know that you can buy both in nice AU for the
cost of the overdate buffalo in fine? It just doesn't make sense. And I
won't even comment on the inclusion of the 1873 large 3 over small 3 nickel
in their shield album.

Sorry, I got carried away.

Mr. Jaggers

Old May 29th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"RAR" wrote in message
.16...
Something I have been long wavering on. I have what I consider to be
complete sets of buffalo nickels, lincoln wheats,and walking liberties.
That is I have all dates/mintes represented. But i dont have the error
coins (1922 plain, 3 legged buffalo, ...).

So, while those gaping holes in the albums bother me, am still feel that
the sets are complete?

Any opinions on what "complete" is?

Whatever your goal was when you first started assembling the sets.

Bruce