Europe, thy name is cowardice

Old September 17th 07, 03:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

Default Europe, thy name is cowardice

If any of you still feel that this war on terror is a mistake, here is an
opinion from an unexpected source. It's fascinating that this should come
out of Europe. Mathias Dapfner, Chief Executive of the huge German publisher
Axel Springer AG, has written a blistering attack in DIE WELT, Germany's
largest daily paper, against the timid reaction of Europe in the face of the
Islamic threat.

This is a must-read by all Americans. History may well certify its
correctness.

EUROPE - THY NAME IS COWARDICE

(Commentary by Mathias Dapfner CEO, Axel Springer, AG)

A few days ago Henry Broder wrote in Welt am Sonntag, "Europe - your family
name is appeasement." It's a phrase you can't get out of your head because
it's so terribly true.

Appeasement cost millions of Jews and non-Jews their lives, as England and
France, allies at the time, negotiated and hesitated too long before they
noticed that Hitler had to be fought, not bound to toothless agreements.

Appeasement legitimized and stabilized Communism in the Soviet Union, then
East Germany, then all the rest of Eastern Europe, where for decades,
inhuman suppressive, murderous governments were glorified as the
ideologically correct alternative to all other possibilities.

Appeasement crippled Europe when genocide ran rampant in Kosovo, and even
though we had absolute proof of ongoing mass-murder, we Europeans debated
and debated and debated, and were still debating when finally the Americans
had to come from halfway around the world, into Europe yet again, and do our
work for us.

Rather than protecting democracy in the Middle East, European Appeasement,
camouflaged behind the fuzzy word "equidistance," now countenances suicide
bombings in Israel by fundamentalist Palestinians.

Appeasement generates a mentality that allows Europe to ignore nearly
500,000 victims of Saddam's torture and murder machinery and, motivated by
the self-righteousness of the peace movement, has the gall to issue bad
grades to George Bush... Even as it is uncovered that the loudest critics of
the American action in Iraq made illicit billions, no, TENS of billions, in
the corrupt U.N. Oil-for-Food program.

And now we are faced with a particularly grotesque form of appeasement. How
is Germany reacting to the escalating violence by Islamic Fundamentalists
in Holland and elsewhere? By suggesting that we really should have a "Muslim
Holiday" in Germany?

I wish I were joking, but I am not. A substantial fraction of our
(German) Government, and if the polls are to be believed, the German people,
actually believe that creating an Official State "Muslim Holiday" will
somehow spare us from the wrath of the fanatical Islamists. One cannot help
but recall Britain's Neville Chamberlain waving the laughable treaty signed
by Adolph Hitler and declaring European "Peace in our time".

What else has to happen before the European public and its political
leadership get it? There is a sort of crusade underway, an especially
perfidious crusade consisting of systematic attacks by fanatic Muslims,
focused on civilians, directed against our free, open Western societies, and
intent upon Western Civilization's utter destruction.

It is a conflict that will most likely last longer than any of the great
military conflicts of the last century - a conflict conducted by an enemy
that cannot be tamed by "tolerance" and "accommodation" but is actually
spurred on by such gestures, which have proven to be, and will always be
taken by the Islamists for signs of weakness. Only two recent American
Presidents had the courage needed for Anti-appeasement: Reagan and Bush.

His American critics may quibble over the details, but we Europeans know the
truth. We saw it first hand: Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War, freeing half
of the German people from nearly 50 years of terror and virtual slavery. And
Bush, supported only by the Social Democrat Blair, acting on moral
conviction, recognized the danger in the Islamic War against Democracy. His
place in history will have to be evaluated after a number of years have
passed.

In the meantime, Europe sits back with charismatic self-confidence in the
multicultural corner, instead of defending liberal society's values and
being an attractive center of power on the same playing field as the true
great powers, America and China.

On the contrary - we Europeans present ourselves, in contrast to those
"arrogant Americans", as the World Champions of "tolerance", which even
(Germany's Interior Minister) Otto Schily justifiably criticizes. Why?
Because we're so moral? I fear it's more because we're so materialistic, so
devoid of a moral compass.

For his policies, Bush risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of
additional national debt, and a massive and persistent burden on the
American economy - because unlike almost all of Europe , Bush realizes what
is at stake - literally everything.

While we criticize the "capitalistic robber barons" of America because they
seem too sure of their priorities, we timidly defend our Social Welfare
systems. Stay out of it! It could get expensive! We'd rather discuss
reducing our 35-hour workweek or our dental coverage, or our 4 weeks of paid
vacation... Or listen to TV pastors preach about the need to "reach out to
terrorists. To understand and forgive".

These days, Europe reminds me of an old woman who, with shaking hands,
frantically hides her last pieces of jewelry when she notices a robber
breaking into a neighbor's house.

Appeasement?

Europe, thy name is Cowardice.

---God Bless America

Old September 17th 07, 05:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
DeserTBoB

Default Noodles, thy name is cowardice

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:28:45 -0400, "trippin-2-8-trak"
wrote:

If any of you still feel that this war on terror is a mistake snip

Iraq was a HUGE mistake...almost everyone is in agreement about that
now, even your favored Republican jerkwads. Even the now battered and
irrelevant McCain says so. Of course, you're too stupid to understand
the reason for the Iraq invasion...oil...and go RAH RAH RAH, even
though you NEVER SERVED A DAY IN THE MILITARY.

By the way, Noodles...Alan Greenspan just said that the Iraq war is
all about oil. You think you know better than Alan Greenspan?
Old September 18th 07, 02:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
William W Western

By the way, Noodles...Alan Greenspan just said that the Iraq war is
all about oil. You think you know better than Alan Greenspan?
Lots of people say that. I have yet to hear *why* it is all about
oil. Got a link? It certainly ain't cheap plentiful gas at the pumps (based
on what I saw in Minnesota and NoDak this weekend).
Oh, by the way. The last few times I saw and heard Greenspan I
wondered if he was not perhaps in early dotage.

Old September 18th 07, 05:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
trippin-2-8-trak

"William W Western" wrote
Lots of people say that. I have yet to hear *why* it is all

about
oil. Got a link? It certainly ain't cheap plentiful gas at the pumps

(based
on what I saw in Minnesota and NoDak this weekend).
Oh, by the way. The last few times I saw and heard Greenspan I
wondered if he was not perhaps in early dotage.

great post ! if it's "all about oil", then why aren't we swimming in it,
for 50 cents a gallon then ?

Pictures of Europe M. Aserati Worldwide Stamps 0 July 9th 06 11:06 PM
Pictures of Europe M. Aserati Books 0 July 9th 06 11:05 PM
Noodlers in Europe? Larry Allin Pens & Pencils 4 June 7th 05 06:41 AM
Shipping US to Europe Paul Coins 57 January 18th 05 04:10 AM