Cyprus Votes and Stamps

Old April 26th 04, 07:53 PM
Victor Manta

Default Cyprus Votes and Stamps

Over a year ago (see below) I have inferred that the inhabitants of the
Turkish Republic of the Northern Cyprus wished to unite with their neighbors
from the (Greek) Cyprus Republic and to join together the European
Community.

The recent referendum showed that indeed a big majority of Turkish Cypriots
(65%) voted for the reunification, and this against the opinion of their
leader. But it hasn't worked, because the citizens of the Cyprus Republic
voted against the reunification, by over 75%, so that it will enter alone
the EU on the 1st of May 2004.

I suppose that, after these historical votes, the isolation, condemnation,
etc., of the Turkish Republic of the Northern Cyprus will cease, and that
even their stamps will be recognized. Let's see after one-two years if I'll
be right again :-)

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

From: Victor Manta
Subject: Cyprus
Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Date: 2003-01-26 00:34:06 PST

snip
Just to finally notice that a big number (possible the majority) of the
inhabitants of this country wish to unite with the Cyprus Republic, and this
way to become one day a part of the European Union.

Victor Manta

Old April 26th 04, 08:04 PM
Alan

I think the Turks want unification because they are the poor neighbours
with lower living standards, lower wages and high unemployment.
The Greeks, well they just dont like the Turks !

Old April 26th 04, 09:19 PM
Victor Manta

"Alan" wrote in message

I think the Turks want unification because they are the poor neighbours
with lower living standards, lower wages and high unemployment.
The Greeks, well they just dont like the Turks !

"Intensive government economic planning and intervention on both sides of
the island soon improved living standards and allowed the construction of
housing for refugees. Both communities benefited greatly from the expansion
of the tourist industry, which brought millions of foreign visitors to the
island during the 1980s. The economic success of the Republic of Cyprus was
significant enough to seem almost miraculous. Within just a few years, the
refugees had housing and were integrated in the bustling economy, and Greek
Cypriots enjoyed a West European standard of living.

Turkish Cypriots did not do as well, but, working against an international
embargo imposed by the Republic of Cyprus and benefiting from extensive
Turkish aid, they managed to ensure a decent standard of living for all
members of their community--a standard of living, in fact, that was higher
than that of Turkey. Both communities established government agencies to
provide public assistance to those who needed it and built modern education
systems extending to the university level."
http://www.onwar.com/aced/data/tango...cyprus1974.htm

Old April 26th 04, 11:40 PM
A.E. Gelat

It is not a matter of liking the Turks or not. The provisions of the
reunification plan were much more favorable to the Turks than to the Greeks.
Look at the full text at http://www.cyprus-un-plan.org

Tony

-

Old April 28th 04, 09:26 AM
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
It is not a matter of liking the Turks or not. The provisions of the
reunification plan were much more favorable to the Turks than to the

Greeks.
Look at the full text at http://www.cyprus-un-plan.org

Tony

Thanks for the link. I have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Greek Cypriots. Could you cite some of them, please?

The EU decided to grant to the Turkish Republic of the Northern Cyprus about
250 millions Euro that were foreseen as aid in the case of reunification.
IMHO, this could be taken as a sort of recognition of this territory.

Back to stamps, I wonder if the UPU will recognize the actual stamps used in
the Turkish Republic of the Northern Cyprus, and if, as result, all the
stamps that were issued by this territory will retrospectively get an
official status.

Old April 28th 04, 09:28 AM
Victor Manta

"Victor Manta" wrote in message

Thanks for the link. I have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Greek Cypriots. Could you cite some of them, please?

Victor Manta

Sorry, please read: have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Turkish Cypriots.

Old April 28th 04, 03:52 PM
Eric Bustad

Victor Manta wrote:
"Victor Manta" wrote in message

Thanks for the link. I have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Greek Cypriots. Could you cite some of them, please?

Victor Manta

Sorry, please read: have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Turkish Cypriots.

Victor Manta

I believe that the sticking points are 1) the Turkish Cypriots retain a
higher proportion of the area of Cyprus than their population and 2) no
right of return for Greek Cypriots to their former homes in the Turkish
zone.

= Eric

Old April 30th 04, 09:31 AM
Victor Manta

"Eric Bustad" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote:
"Victor Manta" wrote in message

Thanks for the link. I have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Greek Cypriots. Could you cite some of them, please?

Victor Manta

Sorry, please read: have quickly looked through the articles of the
Constitution proposed by the UN and I haven't found the provisions that
should favor the Turkish Cypriots.

Victor Manta

I believe that the sticking points are 1) the Turkish Cypriots retain a
higher proportion of the area of Cyprus than their population and 2) no
right of return for Greek Cypriots to their former homes in the Turkish
zone.

= Eric

That's what I have read too in the news, but not in the proposed
Constitution (I haven't read all of it, I admit). IMHO, the good questions
referring to the above points 1) and 2) a

- Which area possessed the Turkish Cypriots 30 years ago?
- Should be the territory proportionally split?
- Is the return of Greek Cypriots to their former homes the best solution
for them?

Concerning the last question, I have read that the affected _Greek_ Cypriots
had proffered the reunification, this in order to get compensations for
their lost properties. Under today's conditions they will neither return nor
get something.

Finally, as I understand it, the majority of Greek Cypriots aren't concerned
by their neighbors of Turkish origin, and have tried to obtain for
themselves alone the advantages of the adherence to the EU. This is their
business, just that they don't play anymore the victims of the Turkish
occupation (to which their colonels largely contributed 30 years ago), and
don't try to isolate the Turkish Cypriots community.

Returning to our topic, perhaps the time came that the stamps issued by the
Turkish Republic of the Northern Cyprus are recognized by the international
community.

Old May 4th 04, 10:48 AM
malcolm hirst

I think perhaps the problem is not just that of Cypriots,Greek or
Turkish - since the partition the Turkish Government has encouraged
the migration of numbers of mainland Turks into the north of Cyprus -
and these are not Cypriots at all. I think if I were a Greek Cypriot I
might feel agrieved that these people were then going to take
advantage of citizenship in the new united Cyprus. However I think the
EU has fudged the issue as ever. In my opinion both parts of Cyprus (
and Turkey if it wishes to join ) should have been denied entry until
a solution acceptable to ,all by compromise,had been reached. This
might be seen as blackmail but it would have concentrated the minds of
those involved no end - and the end of a knotty problem would be
reached. The EU seems to be congenitally incapable of resolving any
issue on a matter of principle - and with 25 members all putting
national interest first it is doomed to go the way of the League of
Nations!
I think we will now be doomed to see seperate issues for the 2 parts
of Cyprus forever