Embarrassing Moments

Old June 10th 05, 04:41 PM

Default Embarrassing Moments

Off topic..but what is everyone's most embarrassing moment? Mine
happened 4 years ago when I was 25. I was at a party for a co-workers
40th birthday and I noticed a brunette across the room, about a foot
shorter than I am and looked like an average build, anyway, i went over
and fed her a cheesey line as to get her a drink and start a
conversation. She says only if you can beat me in armwrestling, a
couple people turn around to look at us and they start encouraging it
so I figured why not. I"m not big at all 6-1, 180 but this is only a
5-2 woman. I sit down at the table and she's standing on the other
side takes off her jacket and reveals a pair of 14 inch biceps, she's a
frickin bodybuilder. She sat down and flexed her arms right in front of
me, "just had to stretch them", she said. Right. We locked hands and
needless to say my noodle arm went thump on the table in front of all
my co workers. But I'm over the intial embarrassment of losing that
night, we went on to date and eventually marry and I couldn't be
happier!

Old June 10th 05, 05:15 PM
oly

My wife can beat me up too.

My most embarassing numismatic moment (by my own estimate, at least)
was being at a local auction house (for an all-coin auction) and
inspecting a nice EF seated dollar. It was not in a flip or holder. I
dropped it maybe 30 inches to the surface of a formica table. No
covering on the table. Very fortunately, it landed flat, didn't bounce
and didn't get scratched or dinged. A few other knowledgeable
collectors did witness the event. I was sweating that one for a minute
and am still damn embarassed.

oly

Old June 10th 05, 05:18 PM
John Chicago

you should have tried pudding wrestling it's more fun LMAO

Old June 10th 05, 05:29 PM
Numismatica

I'd have to say my most embarassing moment in numismatics was at an
estate auction. I was probably about 12 years old at the time. I
recall the auction was notable because of the large coin collection
being sold. I remember, at the time, I was facinated with Morgan's.
When a lot of Morgan dollars came up for auction, the auctioneer said
we'll start the bidding at $5...bidding went up to about $20 or so.
When the auctioneer's assitant came around he asked me "How many would
you like to buy for $20?". I said enthusiastically, "I'll take 'em
ALL!". I thought I hit might pay dirt! LOL. The auctioneer totalled
the price at well over $600. I didn't have that much money, so I
yelled across the auction, "Your partner asked me how many I wanted for
$20!!". The auctioneer replied "That was per coin, sonny!". Everyone
in the room started laughing at me. I quickly looked through the lot
and cherry picked a couple of dollars...and returned the rest.

I learned a little about auctions that day...

Old June 10th 05, 07:11 PM
Edwin Johnston

Numismatica wrote:
[...]

Actually that one sounds like a precocious child got them!
Old June 10th 05, 09:08 PM
stonej

At the 1984 ANA convention in Detroit I entered a drawing at the
British Royal Mint
table for a prize. At the time I didn't even remember doing it or what
the prize was,
just another card to fill out and place in a box so I figure why not?

A few weeks later I got a package from the British Royal Mint with a
gold 1/2 sovereign but
no explanation with it. I had no idea why I was getting this so I wrote
them back saying they must have made a mistake in sending it to me. I
got a letter back from them saying I won the coin in a drawing at the
ANA convention. I felt really stupid when I got the letter back from
them but they were really nice about it.

I still have that coin.

Old June 11th 05, 01:05 AM
Dale Hallmark

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Humm......... most embarrassing............. now for me that is not an easy
choice to
make as I seem to do stupid things pretty regularly even now at 50.
Amazingly,
I can't think of anything embarrassing I have done connected to coins.

(may have told this before and not connected to coins)..........a hundred
years ago
when I was about 20 and working as a Master Repair Plumber.
I had a repair call to answer early one morning. A young lady answered the
door wearing a
very see-thru baby doll. I, a really sophisticated country bumpkin,
never-the-less
found it difficult to maintain my professionalism. She led me to the hot
water heater
that was making a running water noise. I tried to watch my step as she led
:-)

I said that seems to be a simple problem, a leaky temp and pressure relief
valve. As she watched I
started to change it. I was hit in the chest with a large stream of water
under about 65 psi.
She fled laughing and I hurriedly cut off the water, finished my chore and
snuck out as discretely as possible :-)

Dale
Always cut off water before plumbing repairs, not after.

Old June 11th 05, 02:49 AM
Joe

At the local coin shop looking at Buffalo's. I wanted to collect circulated
coins and those offered were in the VF to AU range and expensive. So I ask
the shop owner if he has any lower grade Buffalo's. He did and pulled out a
box for me to look at. I had my list of years I needed and started pulling
them out. Eight new coins, this is great I thought. Then he said "that
will be $72". And from that point forward, I learned the value of knowing
what mint marks are for.

Joe

oups.com...

Old June 11th 05, 05:17 AM
Scott Stevenson

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:17:50 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

At least you were not embarrassed in public.

Tony

Mine was _very_ public:

Back in my radio days, I was doing morning news one day, and at the
end of the newscast, the jock and I would always engage in some small
talk. After this newscast, we somehow got on the subject of the old
game show "Password".

Figuring he could stump me, he asked me who the host of the show was
in the 60's and early 70's, and I replied "Alan Ludden". He then
asked if I knew to whom Ludden had been married.

I replied that of course I did. Unfortunately, instead of the
correct answer, "Betty White", I blurted out "Barry White".

take care,
Scott
"The password is: 'Mortified' "