Who says there are no bargains left on eBay?

Old July 30th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
LRC-Tom

Default Who says there are no bargains left on eBay?

Or, conversely, who says you can list an item with no reserve and
expect it to always find its true value?

This was an OUCH.

....Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...30013273 6233

Old July 30th 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
stonej

On Jul 30, 3:17 pm, LRC-Tom wrote:
Or, conversely, who says you can list an item with no reserve and
expect it to always find its true value?

This was an OUCH.

...Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3419&item=3001...

Summer doldrums I would say but selling for less than face value is
rather unusual.

Old July 30th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ken Barr

In article .com, LRC-Tom
wrote:

Or, conversely, who says you can list an item with no reserve and
expect it to always find its true value?

This was an OUCH.

...Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=30013273 623
3

With postage, the buyer paid almost $56 for the note, about
$4 less than Greensheet "bid". Cheap, but no home run.

When I buy these over-the-counter or in collections, I
figger them at face value, then spend them at the next
non-local coin show. I wouldn't dare spend them locally,
else I'd have to spend time on the phone trying to convince
the lucky "finder" that their "errer fiddydollerbill wid
brown ink" isn't worth enough to put their kids through
kollege ...

--
Ken Barr Numismatics
P. O. Box 32541 website:
Old July 30th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ukraina Dvi

"LRC-Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
Or, conversely, who says you can list an item with no reserve and
expect it to always find its true value?

This was an OUCH.

...Tom

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...30013273 6233

The shipping charge, even including insurance would be a put off against me
bidding on it.

Old July 31st 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coinenthusiast

Howdy;

Though hardly earth shattering I know the feeling (my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

Double Ouch

Dan

oups.com...

Old July 31st 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Coinenthusiast" wrote in message
Howdy;

Though hardly earth shattering I know the feeling (my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

Double Ouch

Although, you don't know how high the winner's proxy bid was. It could have
been a million dollars, but since there was no third bidder, nor did the
first bidder rebid, the lot went cheap. Lots of things to consider when
evaluating eBay results.

James

Old July 31st 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"Coinenthusiast" wrote in message
Howdy;

Though hardly earth shattering I know the feeling (my auction)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEUS:IT

Double Ouch

Although, you don't know how high the winner's proxy bid was. It could
have been a million dollars, but since there was no third bidder, nor did
the first bidder rebid, the lot went cheap. Lots of things to consider
when evaluating eBay results.

James

Actually those are on my list to collect sometime in the future. I agree
with James though. One auction does not the market make.

Dale

Old July 31st 07, 09:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy[_2_]

I think the thing about the second bidder is important. An item will only
fetch one increment more than the second higher bidder is willing to pay so
it takes two bidders to set a price. 99c, no reserve auctions are best done
on popular items where at least 2 people are willing to pay its worth at the
time of the auction.
Andy

Old July 31st 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter

On Jul 31, 10:01 am, "Andy" wrote:
I think the thing about the second bidder is important. An item will only
fetch one increment more than the second higher bidder is willing to pay so
it takes two bidders to set a price. 99c, no reserve auctions are best done
on popular items where at least 2 people are willing to pay its worth at the
time of the auction.
Andy
"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in ...

. ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=110130299670&...

Double Ouch

Although, you don't know how high the winner's proxy bid was. It could
have been a million dollars, but since there was no third bidder, nor did
the first bidder rebid, the lot went cheap. Lots of things to consider
when evaluating eBay results.

James

Actually those are on my list to collect sometime in the future. I agree
with James though. One auction does not the market make.

Dale- Hide quoted text -

The formula sounds attractive ("...auctions are best done on popular
items where at least 2 people are willing to pay its worth at the time
of the auction.").

Still, how exactly does one determine in advance that the "best"
conditions are available?

Old July 31st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy[_2_]

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 31, 10:01 am, "Andy" wrote:
[...]

There lies the trouble, on the same day you list, someone else might just
decide to have a clearance sale and list a few of the same coin which makes
things even worse. Or you may get lucky and none have been listed for weeks
and there are a few desparate buyers waiting.

Andy

There are still bargains to be had on eBay... Bob Hairgrove Coins 7 July 6th 07 03:51 PM
Who says there are no bargains to be had on eBay? Bob Hairgrove Coins 26 January 26th 06 08:36 PM
FA: 3 Days left, bargains to be had John Ahnen Coins 3 February 5th 05 02:44 AM
ebay bargains oepepper Coins 5 September 2nd 04 08:53 PM
FA. Bargains on eBay. JohnDines Marketplace 0 October 27th 03 11:01 PM