what else do you collect?

Old June 2nd 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

Default what else do you collect?

Oh, Lord. Now I'll have two threads to skip entirely: the one that
debates the existence of God, and now the one that will surely emerge
about whether or not the right was intended for individuals not part
of a well-regulated militia.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

That is not what the thread is about but you were ever into accuracy.

Old June 2nd 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"gogu" wrote in message

That's right!
So isn't it better not having valuables in your home and in case of
robbery
just pretend you are sleeping and let the thieves take whatever they
want?...

No it is better that the thieves have to worry about some gut toting
homeowner putting a cap in his a**. Seriously, the concept of just letting
someone have their way in my home makes me feel ill.

This is what police generally suggests to us here in Europe.
After all the life of my wife and children is above any TV or stereo
set...

And the criminal's life is probably above those too.

Old June 2nd 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"gogu" wrote in message
? "Jud" ?????? ??? ??????
ups.com...

gogu wrote:

in Europe people can not carry guns except in special situations and
gun permits are as rare as a '31 double golden Eagle;-)
Despite all that, the crime rate here in the non-carrying guns Europe is
much lower that in the gun-carrying US!
Doesn't it says something about the whole question?...

No, not really, see above argument.

The sad event that happened to you my friend does not change the fact that
in Europe where we do not carry guns the criminality rate is much lower
that in the US where you carry guns!

Yeah and Japan is so much safer too since citizens can not carry guns,
right?

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/wo...bd2fb3&k=81311

Old June 2nd 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
PC[_2_]

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
That's right.... Don't trust ANYBODY!

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm but the police are just as vulnerable as
anyone else at applying their prejudices, insecurities, and "what have you"
at other people in an unfair way. It is just that the police happen to have
more power.

Most police officers do their job well but there are bad cops, and enough of
them, that they give the police a bad name. I tend to find highway patrol
are easier to deal with than city cops, generally speaking. I suspect the
requirements for fitness and intelligence are higher for highway patrols.

Old June 2nd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
.. .
I'm a cop, specifically a narcotics agent. I have made some
acqaintances(sp?) over the years that were not favorable to the other
person, so I carry all the time. Just another work tool.

I remember one time as a teenager there was a knock at the back door.
When I opened the door there were two very rough individuals asking if my
father was home. My father was a judge and these guys looked like they
just might possibly be out for revenge for sending them to prison. I try
not to judge by sight but these two guys looked like they were quite
familiar with a prison cell. I told them my father was not home and to
come back later.

This was around lunch time and the courthouse was close enough to our home
that my father sometimes came home for lunch. Sure enough, right at that
moment, the back porch door swung open and there was my father. I was
ready to do whatever I had to if the scene was to turn violent in any way.
Much to my surprise when the two scuzball looking dudes saw my father they
asked him to sign a search warrant.

I breathed a sigh of relief because I just came to the realization that
they were undercover narcotics officers.

I can only imagine that job takes nerves of steel.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to
visit
violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

The man had wisdom.

James

Old June 2nd 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
That's right.... Don't trust ANYBODY!

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm but the police are just as vulnerable as
anyone else at applying their prejudices, insecurities, and "what have
you" at other people in an unfair way. It is just that the police happen
to have more power.

Most police officers do their job well but there are bad cops, and enough
of them, that they give the police a bad name. I tend to find highway
patrol are easier to deal with than city cops, generally speaking. I
suspect the requirements for fitness and intelligence are higher for
highway patrols.

I must disagree, having a close relative who is a city police officer. His
training was extensive and is ongoing. I can't imagine highway patrolmen
coming into contact with the same types of situations that he faces
regularly. This kind of grim, concentrated contact with the human condition
is likely to harden most men and women somewhat. Then again, it might be a
matter of our own intersections with differing levels of law enforcement and
our perceptions of same. I'd not want to be the highway patrolman who comes
on the scene of some of the more grisly accidents. I don't really think
there is a final answer (here I go, again, shades of gray).

James

Old June 2nd 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"PC" wrote in message

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

When my police officer relative had finished his time at academy and was
being sworn in, his chief ordered him to start growing a beard and become
scruffy-looking. His first assignment was on such a squad. The stories he
told would make your blood run cold.

James

Old June 2nd 07, 02:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"PC" wrote in message

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
[...]

My personal experience tends to mirror PC's response in a majority of my
situations.
I don't normally have interaction with police but in the past, I have had
city police offer to
hurt me badly, gave me tickets for bogus charges such as license plate too
low to the ground,
factory window darkening too dark, too bald tires, and failure to yield at a
yield sign with no on coming traffic, offers to race me on the side in city
streets, and ragged windshield wipers.
I saw one draw a gun on a 16 year old in front of my house and make him lie
down on the ground,
and handcuffed him, his crime, 45 mph in a residential zone. The Mayor is a
friend of mine and we talked, that is what he told me anyway.

I personally have seen one beat a person with a stick for mouthing when the
person had their hands in their pockets. I have never been subject to
anything other than curtsey by Highway Patrol even when I was stopped for
armed bank robbery. Which I didn't do, I simply had the same make model and
color of vehicle and resembled the perp. Oh, he had his gun out but didn't
seem to be suffering from excessive adrenalin :-) Thank God!

At academy, 9 pm, as I was walking down the hall, I experienced a loaded 38
(last day) sliding down the hall and went between my legs because a trainee
as he ran thought he saw a burglar and drew his weapon. He passed.

Dale

..

Old June 2nd 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dov2005

On May 27, 4:38?am, wrote:
does anyone here ever set out to collect anything other than coins? i
know the answer is yes and maybe some of you can pitch in what other
areas you've dabbled in.

today i'm letting go of one collection which at its height i had just
about as much passion for then as i do now with coins. it was a
collection, oh boy this is going to sound geeky, of... chemical
elements. you know, the stuff that makes up everything in the
universe. and any of you who know me privately know i'm hopelessly
afflicted with a get-one-of-each mentality (see my roman coin
collection athttp://www.tantaluscoins.com/coins/grid28.php)

it's a bitter sweet moment to put the elements up for sale. you know,
something you put that much work into, even if you let go of actively
pursuing, has become a part of you at some level. but collections are
alive - or should be - so that unless you're a pack rat once your
interests change over time it's best to recycle them and let someone
else experience that rush you once felt.

i know this guy bill who's nuts about old coke bottles. others are
into fossils, minerals and so on. so what non-coin stuff have you gone
ga-ga for?

ras

I collect "controversial" literature. I've never actually read any of
the books because it's not my nature to be a follower. Make that
double for cult-like fanatic ideas. I have a problem, one that I never
thought I'd have with this. I have to be careful not to pay for any
book to it's publisher. I don't want any nut case to get hold of any
extra money. I have to buy all these books from third parties. I
collect books like Mein Kampf, Last Exit, Turner Diaries, etc. Friends
never fail to object to my inclusion of certain books. They like to
think that their favorite books are not really controversial but "the
truth". It's a good conversation starter. My collection of Mormon
sacred books really was objected to. My favorite is a book by the
nephew of the founder of the KKK who wrote a fictional account of the
American government after the Civil War in the late 1860's. It's the
only one I've actually read. The fiction warns of the coming
Africanization of the south and expresses concern about the virtue of
the poor white southern womanhood.I'm always open to ideas about books
to add..

Old June 2nd 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

"dov2005" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 27, 4:38?am, wrote:
[...]

OMG I read Mein Kampf, it was actually pretty horrible. Not that it
included
ravings that were really easily identifible as crazy, but it obviously had
little relation to reality and it was sooooooooo boring. It took me a
while. I was searching for other tidbits of data.

Insightful, maybe, glad I read it, sure, will read again, NOT!

Dale