"Fresh" Investment Grade Coins at Urbid

Old August 26th 03, 12:47 AM
rhodo chrosite

If you-know-who certified it at 1,000,000 years old, he would only be off by
at least 64,000,000 years up to as much as 84,000,000 years. Typical,
though.

"A.Gent" wrote in message
u...

"Stujoe" wrote in message
In article , JSTONE9352
spoke thusly...
Dai Lun wrote:
"If I had 1,000,000 year old dinosaur turds for sale, what would

they
be worth?"

Didn't a T. Rex dinosaur skeleton sell
not too long ago for $2 million or something like that?

I remember hearing something about that but I don't think the price
included the turds.

Certified by you-know-who?
What grade?

(sorry - couldn't resist)

Old August 26th 03, 01:56 AM
Andy Martin

Well at least I got a discussion going if nothing else!!! "Investment" or
not, there are many COINS that continue to go up in value and are nice to
have to be able to hold a piece of history in your hands. As I sit here and
look at the 1970 "Redbook" at an 1804 small 8 Half Eagle listed for $750.00
and check current pricing, the same grade coin is now listed at $6950.00 in
PCGS price guide. That seems to be a substantial gain, possibly not a good
investment, but since the coin is no less than MS63, PCGS lists it at a
measly $16,900.00. Pretty shabby gain I would say. And as far as being a
"Scam" artist, I take great offense to that remark it if was directed at me.
It seems there are more "great" literary people here than collectors. Isn't
there a discussion group for would be writers???? What ever happended to
honest collectors who want to enjoy the "hobby". Way too many inflammatory
writings going on here to be a good venue for collectors, especially any new
beginners. There are some really knowledgable people who want to help, but
as always there are the proverbial _ _ _holes.
I have never cheated anyone knowingly or tried to "Scam" anyone. Bob, maybe
it's time you did some serious research on many high grade coins and see
what has happened to them over the last few years and then make your
statement.

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
I consider any one who puts the words "investment" and "coins" in the same
sentence to be a major scam artist. Coins are not, nor have they ever

been
a good investment.

"Andy Martin" wrote in message

There are some nice "Fresh" investment grade coins recently listed at

Urbid.
Most have been off the market for some time. Below is a partial listing.

If
you are looking for investment material, suggest you take a look.
1871 Dime Copper Pattern
$9850.00

1861 CSA Half Dollar
$9850.00

1875 Trade Dollar
$11750.00

1875 Trade Dollar Copper Trial
$22000.00

1880 Stella Aluminum Pattern
$150000.00

1798 S $1 LG Eagle
$10500.00

http://urbid-auction-site.com/cgi-bi...ion/auction.pl

Thanks for looking.
Andy

Old August 26th 03, 03:15 AM
MorganCoin1

Bob Peterson writes:

Since most of the coin market is
manipulated by a few big dealers it is generally rigged against any but the
most astute or those involved.

So long as many of us have that perseption, it isn't hard to figure that many
non-collectors see it that way too. If we do not clean up the business side of
this hobby, the government will do it for us. I shudder to think... It is bad
enough that many states tax coin purchases...
--

-Sam, former director of the now abandoned Sam Morgan, ANA LM 5046 for ANA
governor 2003 movement.

Old August 27th 03, 01:06 AM
Stujoe

In article , Ira Stein
spoke thusly...
Bob Peterson wrote:

You can point to a few coins that went up the last few years. I also recall
the time when common certified Morgans were sold by "reputable" dealers as
investments. They still have yet to recover to that level.

If you want to buy coins, buy them because you like them (for whatever
reason you like them). But, no collectible is really an investment, no
matter how many years that collectible has gone up in price.

Here, here! Now THAT I agree with! The problem with coins as investments is
that most collectors NEVER want to get rid of them!

Ain't that the truth. I have a lot that I should get rid of but I
can't seem to do it. Even with coins that I buy in order to sell, it
can be tough.

A couple of months ago, I bought a 2 coin set of Full Step Nickel
Club original design coins for a good price and was going to keep the
matte proof and sell the brilliant. I still have both.

Coins as an investment? I think I would have to learn to detach
myself from them a bit more.

--
Stu Miller
Coins in the News - Coin Newspaper (Updated Daily):
Old August 27th 03, 04:25 AM
BAJJERFAN

There are some nice "Fresh" investment grade coins recently listed at

Urbid.
Most have been off the market for some time. Below is a partial

listing.
If
you are looking for investment material, suggest you take a look.
1871 Dime Copper Pattern
$9850.00

1861 CSA Half Dollar
$9850.00

1875 Trade Dollar
$11750.00

1875 Trade Dollar Copper Trial
$22000.00

1880 Stella Aluminum Pattern
$150000.00

1798 S $1 LG Eagle
$10500.00

http://urbid-auction-site.com/cgi-bi...ion/auction.pl

Thanks for looking.
Andy

Ask the folks who bought those $64 right from the Mint Buffalo dollars
sets and sold em for over $200 on eBay if coins are a good investment.
You damn right they are. Some of you folks here need to rethink your
philosophy on just what investments are.
Old August 28th 03, 12:44 AM
Stujoe

In article ,
BAJJERFAN spoke thusly...

Ask the folks who bought those $64 right from the Mint Buffalo dollars
sets and sold em for over $200 on eBay if coins are a good investment.
You damn right they are. Some of you folks here need to rethink your
philosophy on just what investments are.

I consider that speculating and many people here did the same thing
with early state quarter mini bags, 1999 Silver proof sets, and other
early state quarter stuff. It was a major topic of threads and there
was a (jokingly) Mini Bag Cartel here too. I did it too and make a
good chunk of $$ that funded over a year of coins bought for my
collection.

However, I certainly wouldn't use investment money for items like
that. Gambling money - play money - disposable income, absolutely
yes. But not investment money. But maybe that is just me.

--
Stu Miller
'Wanna buy a 1999 SBA proof?'
Old August 28th 03, 01:05 AM
Colin Kynoch

BAJJERFAN wrote:
snip

Ask the folks who bought those $64 right from the Mint Buffalo dollars
sets and sold em for over $200 on eBay if coins are a good investment.
You damn right they are. Some of you folks here need to rethink your
philosophy on just what investments are.

That wasn't investment, that was speculation (or more accurately gambling).

Investments are made with a long term view in mind. Anything less than
twelve months is speculation or gambling.

Colin Kynoch

Old August 28th 03, 01:29 AM
Stujoe

In article ,
BAJJERFAN spoke thusly...

Ask the folks who bought those $64 right from the Mint Buffalo dollars
sets and sold em for over $200 on eBay if coins are a good investment.
You damn right they are. Some of you folks here need to rethink your
philosophy on just what investments are.

Buying coins straight from the mint is the only time you can buy
coins truly wholesale from the source. The majority of coins are not
bought (or invested in) that way unless you have a time machine. Just
ask the folks who bought Buffalo Coin and Currency sets at $200 and
can now sell them for about $100.

Old August 28th 03, 03:05 AM
Andy Martin

"Bob Flaminio" wrote in message
Andy Martin wrote:
As I sit here and look at the 1970 "Redbook" at an 1804
small 8 Half Eagle listed for $750.00 and check current pricing, the
same grade coin is now listed at $6950.00 in PCGS price guide.

That translates to a return of about 7% per year. Not bad, but not as
well as you would do in the stock market, which has averaged 10.1% since
1926.

--
Bob

Bob,
What was the price of the coin above in 1926? What is the % of increase on
it since then? I would imagine considerably more that 10.1%. Keep in mind
this is at least an MS63 coin.

Old August 29th 03, 01:39 AM
BAJJERFAN

George D wrote in message ...
Stujoe wrote:
In article ,
BAJJERFAN spoke thusly...

Ask the folks who bought those $64 right from the Mint Buffalo dollars
sets and sold em for over $200 on eBay if coins are a good investment.
You damn right they are. Some of you folks here need to rethink your
philosophy on just what investments are.

I consider that speculating and many people here did the same thing
with early state quarter mini bags, 1999 Silver proof sets, and other
early state quarter stuff. It was a major topic of threads and there
was a (jokingly) Mini Bag Cartel here too. I did it too and make a
good chunk of $$ that funded over a year of coins bought for my
collection.

However, I certainly wouldn't use investment money for items like
that. Gambling money - play money - disposable income, absolutely
yes. But not investment money. But maybe that is just me.

Want to buy some Conn. Mini bags? I also have a few SBA 1999 Unc sets fresh from the mint.

--
George D
Phoenix, AZ

AAA, AARP, ANA, NRA, RCC ?+1, PIA, PIAAZ, GATF 85006-3032-18-4

The reward for a good deed is to have done it.

Please use this address to mail me. Or remove the arizona in the link.
Remember there is no Arizona.

ALL emails incoming and outgoing are run thru Norton and AVG anti virus.

Yeah I'll take all of the Conn minibags you have at $15 each delivered.