How to tell Morgans have been cleaned

Old June 22nd 05, 03:56 AM
Anita

Default How to tell Morgans have been cleaned

Someone asked earlier what to look for to tell if coins have been
cleaned. This seller is offering a variety of cleaned Morgans. Some
are harshly cleaned. Others have lighter cleaning that causes
interrupted cartwheel luster. I wish we could freeze this page in
time. I didn't look at every coin the seller is offering yet, but I
wouldn't be surprised if all were cleaned in some way.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacvanderstein

Anita
Old June 22nd 05, 06:27 AM
Phil DeMayo

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 02:56:27 GMT, Anita wrote:

Someone asked earlier what to look for to tell if coins have been
cleaned. This seller is offering a variety of cleaned Morgans. Some
are harshly cleaned. Others have lighter cleaning that causes
interrupted cartwheel luster. I wish we could freeze this page in
time. I didn't look at every coin the seller is offering yet, but I
wouldn't be surprised if all were cleaned in some way.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacvanderstein

Anita

Anita, the link isn't much help as all of his auctions have ended.
Clicking on "completed items" brings up 72 completed auctions...too
many to look through.

A link or two to the specific auctions you viewed would have been
better.

Old June 22nd 05, 07:11 AM
jeff

Phil DeMayo wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 02:56:27 GMT, Anita wrote:

Someone asked earlier what to look for to tell if coins have been
cleaned. This seller is offering a variety of cleaned Morgans. Some
are harshly cleaned. Others have lighter cleaning that causes
interrupted cartwheel luster. I wish we could freeze this page in
time. I didn't look at every coin the seller is offering yet, but I
wouldn't be surprised if all were cleaned in some way.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacvanderstein

Anita

Anita, the link isn't much help as all of his auctions have ended.
Clicking on "completed items" brings up 72 completed auctions...too
many to look through.

A link or two to the specific auctions you viewed would have been
better.

This "attractive eye catching no problem coin" example...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39465&item=8313717 387&rd=1
looks like it was cleaned with sandpaper.

Jeff
Old June 22nd 05, 09:36 AM
Phil DeMayo

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:11:18 -0700, jeff wrote:

Phil DeMayo wrote:
[...]

It's amazing he's been able to attain a 100% positive rating.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:29 PM
Anita

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 01:27:08 -0400, Phil DeMayo
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacvanderstein

Anita, the link isn't much help as all of his auctions have ended.
Clicking on "completed items" brings up 72 completed auctions...too
many to look through.

A link or two to the specific auctions you viewed would have been
better.

The auctions were still there when I checked. One thing that stood out
was that in thumbnail many of the coins seemed to have cartwheels, but
in the larger pictures, all were interrupted over the field or face of
the obverse. I thought it may be lighting, but looking at all the
coins let me know that someone had been busy with a cloth. The start
prices are low, so maybe people won't pay too much.

I don't mind auctions of cleaned coins as long as the seller says they
are cleaned.

Anita
Old June 22nd 05, 10:39 PM
Ricardo C. Carrillo

Anita wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks Anita. I was the one asking about the cleaned coins. im a
newbie, and i'll tell you most of these coins have me fooled. i can't
tell, but i'll keep looking at coins, cleaned and uncleaned until i can.
Just got some pretty pcgs and ngc peace dollars to compare.
Old June 22nd 05, 11:12 PM
Anita

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:39:52 GMT, "Ricardo C. Carrillo"
wrote:

Thanks Anita. I was the one asking about the cleaned coins. im a
newbie, and i'll tell you most of these coins have me fooled. i can't
tell, but i'll keep looking at coins, cleaned and uncleaned until i can.
Just got some pretty pcgs and ngc peace dollars to compare.

If the coins are lustrous uncirculated Morgans, you can take a good
look at the cartwheel luster by turning on a light and standing about
10 feet from the light. The coin should have two rays of light shining
from the center to the outer reaches of the coins. If you rock the
coin, the rays should circle the coin without interuption. If they do,
you have an uncleaned coin. Any area where the luster has been
disrupted, e.g. by cleaning, will show up. Polished coins will look
bright and shiny, but have no cartwheels at all. Some coins have the
fields polished around the devices, but not around the rims, so you'll
have cartwheels around the rim, but not the central fields. Some of
the coins in the link showed this well.

Circulated coins and coins from low-luster mint years can be a bit
trickier. Usually there will be wipe marks or something that shows up.
Some of the coins in the link showed this well.

I wish there were some easy tests to determine if a Peace dollar was
cleaned or not. I have an easy time with Morgans, but not Peace
dollars. Their poor strike gives surfaces a wiped look (to me) even
when they are not cleaned.

Anita
Old June 23rd 05, 02:03 AM
bri

"Anita" wrote in message
I wish we could freeze this page in
time.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmacvanderstein

Anita

You just bring up that page--or whatever page for each coin--and hit ctrl+A
then ctrl+S. Or up on the tool bar you hit Edit then Select All then
File/save as and both ways will ask where you want to save that entire page
as an HTML document. Or you could just right click on any picture and 'save
picture as' to whatever directory you want.
I do that all the time for comparisons or refrences. Or just to be seeing
what I won't be affording. ;-)
HTH

Old June 23rd 05, 06:27 AM
Ricardo C. Carrillo

Anita wrote in
news
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Anita. as always very helpful. Although i am having trouble
seeing the cartwheels on my peace dollars, in just the right light i
can! like you mention the weak strikes don't help. i had already
noticed the "cartwheels" but did not know they had a name, and i've been
wondering what people were talking about when they mention cartwheels.
It's nice to finally put 2 and 2 together. Now i can't wait to re-check
my morgans! Thanks for the lesson.
Old June 23rd 05, 02:05 PM
Anita

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 05:27:16 GMT, "Ricardo C. Carrillo"
wrote:

Thanks Anita. as always very helpful. Although i am having trouble
seeing the cartwheels on my peace dollars, in just the right light i
can! like you mention the weak strikes don't help. i had already
noticed the "cartwheels" but did not know they had a name, and i've been
wondering what people were talking about when they mention cartwheels.
It's nice to finally put 2 and 2 together. Now i can't wait to re-check
my morgans! Thanks for the lesson.

Peace dollars won't have strong cartwheels as you see in Morgans.
Morgans are struck well, so the flow lines are strong going out from
the devices. Peace dollars are struck poorly don't have such strong
flow lines. Perhaps someone with more expertise can explain how this
affects the arrangement of luster on the surface.

Anita