Should Inside IBNS publish FV/dealer prices?

Old January 16th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default Should Inside IBNS publish FV/dealer prices?

In the 3/06 issue of Inside IBNS, I began publishing face values in the New
Notes section of the newsletter.

In the 4/06 issue, I added a range of dealer prices (without specifying who
those dealers are) wherever available.

My feeling is that face value and dealer prices are facts, and it is
appropriate and desirable for the newsletter to disseminate as much factual
information as possible.

However, I have recently been contacted by a dealer (who wishes to remain
anonymous) who feels that publishing this info is inappropriate and
potentially confusing to new collectors.

What do you think? I can't promise that I will abide by majority opinion,
but I would like to get input from other members, both collectors and
dealers alike.

Owen Linzmayer, Inside IBNS editor

Old January 16th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
chaox01

I agree with you. The info you provide is already in the public domain,
no secret. One can easily get the face value by using a currency
converter and get the selling prices by looking at any dealer's price
list.

Old January 16th 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Sibirskmoneta

As a collector I would agree. However I don't believe that I need the IBNS
newsletter would be my source for information on face value vs. dealer
prices. For instance, recently on eBay I purchased some Ukrainian
banknotes. I know what the Hryvnia is valued at, and will allow for a
reasonable markup for the seller, frankly it is a convenience factor. So I
find someone in Ivano Frankivsk that will sell me the notes and coins I
want, at a price that is reasonable and I buy them. However, lets say the
10 Hryvnia note is hypothetically priced at $10, and I know the 10 Hr. note
is valued at US$2.00 I would believe that unreasonable, since I know the
Ukrainian Hryvnia trades at about 5/$1 I usually do not collect high value
notes, I think the highest value note I have collected in the past few years
is $12 for a Chinese 100 Yuan note that I got in a bank in China.

Old January 16th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

You, I, and other net-savvy collectors may know how to look up face values
online, but many of the members of the IBNS do not use computers, or may not
know off the top of their heads what exchange rates are for obscure
currencies. That's why I think it's a service to do the legwork for my
readers and publish the FV in the newsletter.

I think it helps set a reasonable baseline for absolute minimum one can
expect to shell out for a new note.

On 1/16/07 1:16 PM, in article , "Sibirskmoneta"
wrote:

As a collector I would agree. However I don't believe that I need the IBNS
newsletter would be my source for information on face value vs. dealer
prices. For instance, recently on eBay I purchased some Ukrainian
banknotes. I know what the Hryvnia is valued at, and will allow for a
reasonable markup for the seller, frankly it is a convenience factor. So I
find someone in Ivano Frankivsk that will sell me the notes and coins I
want, at a price that is reasonable and I buy them. However, lets say the
10 Hryvnia note is hypothetically priced at $10, and I know the 10 Hr. note
is valued at US$2.00 I would believe that unreasonable, since I know the
Ukrainian Hryvnia trades at about 5/$1 I usually do not collect high value
notes, I think the highest value note I have collected in the past few years
is $12 for a Chinese 100 Yuan note that I got in a bank in China.

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 09:18 PM
CPK Dolls & Misc Items--- FS Sue from NY General 0 August 28th 03 05:53 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM
Value Guides Keith Tilley Coins 3 July 21st 03 07:50 AM