Contest: Will I get my first neg?

Old July 25th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

Default Contest: Will I get my first neg?

The person who comes closest to guessing the outcome (my decision) will
receive a nice prize appropriate to their collecting interests. I'm sorry
for not posting the link, but I'm sure my customers would not appreciate
that. The following are the verbatim exchanges with identifyting elements
x'd out. Good luck and please post any responses to this thread, it will be
the only way I can keep track.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have won several very nice coins from you and we have left good
feedbacks for each other. This one arrived today, and it is the first one
that I am a little disappointed in. The XXXXX XXXXXXX is nice and well
XXXXXX, just like you said. But the reverse, of the coin is pretty
marked up, and strangely it seems to have fingerprints on it. Did it come
from some different source? Even the front has some scratches on XXXXXZX
forehead. It would likely grade low MS. All the others looked fresh
from bankrolls...this one looks different. I need to sleep on this, but how
do you like to handle these types of things?

Thank you!

I replied:
Your satisfaction is paramount. Please return the item for a full refund
including shipping both ways. I apologize for any inconvenience. Regards,

After a day I had not heard from him - he did very well on the auction, I
thought; and I'd like another crack at the coin, so I emailed him the
following:
Hi XXXXXX, as a follow-up to your concerns, I'm a buyer of that coin at
(winning bid plus $17.00) as is. Please let me know if you're interested.
Best,

Will I ever see the coin again? will I ever hear from the buyer again? What
kind of feedback, if any, will I get? His return privilege and contest ends
close of business Eastern 7/31/07.

Old July 25th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:28:16 -0400, "Steve"
wrote:

The person who comes closest to guessing the outcome (my decision) will
receive a nice prize appropriate to their collecting interests. I'm sorry
for not posting the link, but I'm sure my customers would not appreciate
that. The following are the verbatim exchanges with identifyting elements
x'd out. Good luck and please post any responses to this thread, it will be
the only way I can keep track.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I have won several very nice coins from you and we have left good
feedbacks for each other. This one arrived today, and it is the first one
that I am a little disappointed in. The XXXXX XXXXXXX is nice and well
XXXXXX, just like you said. But the reverse, of the coin is pretty
marked up,

What was the image like?

and strangely it seems to have fingerprints on it. Did it come
from some different source? Even the front has some scratches on XXXXXZX
forehead. It would likely grade low MS. All the others looked fresh
from bankrolls...this one looks different. I need to sleep on this, but how
do you like to handle these types of things?

Thank you!

I replied:
Your satisfaction is paramount. Please return the item for a full refund
including shipping both ways. I apologize for any inconvenience. Regards,

The right thing to do.

You should have stopped at this point with the ball in his court.

After a day I had not heard from him - he did very well on the auction, I
thought; and I'd like another crack at the coin, so I emailed him the
following:
Hi XXXXXX, as a follow-up to your concerns, I'm a buyer of that coin at
(winning bid plus $17.00) as is. Please let me know if you're interested.
Best,

I never understand this "after a day (and) I had not heard from him"
stuff. Do you never leave your computer? Do you never go to a coin
show, visit your relatives, go to the beach/mountains/fishing hole?

If you get a neg, it will be because he felt you were trying to push
him.

Will I ever see the coin again? will I ever hear from the buyer again? What
kind of feedback, if any, will I get? His return privilege and contest ends
close of business Eastern 7/31/07.

If I was the buyer, and the coin worth the money, you wouldn't get any
feedback and I'd keep the coin. I wouldn't be satisfied enough to
leave a positive, neutrals are the same as a neg, and I only leave
negs when I feel there has been a gross and deliberate
misrepresentation or failure to act responsibly.

I'm not entering to win the contest since all I deal with is US gold
coinage. I don't think you want to come up with that kind of prize.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old July 25th 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Ng

Steve wrote:

The person who comes closest to guessing the outcome (my decision) will
receive a nice prize appropriate to their collecting interests. I'm sorry
for not posting the link, but I'm sure my customers would not appreciate
that. The following are the verbatim exchanges with identifyting elements
x'd out. Good luck and please post any responses to this thread, it will be
the only way I can keep track.

The outcome is that you worry too much. You already have a fairly good
working relationship with the customer, and communications appear to be
cordial.

The customer is not rude, and is politely asking for possible remedies
to the situation. I don't believe any neutral or negative feedback will
be given.

In any case, regarding the contest. Let's see now. "Nice prize" huh?
I collect only 1793 Chain Cents, so ... (just kidding).

Thanks,

Mike
Old July 25th 07, 08:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
BigDog

On Jul 25, 1:03 am, Michael Ng wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

Steve--
If my reasoning is correct, this buyer is not in the habit of leaving
negs. It appears that he is willing to work out any problem within
reason. From what I can tell he has not left a neg for anyone. Seems
like a decent buyer and I think you will work it out with NO neg to
either side. Even when buyer was given a neg, he did not retaliate
with a neg.

Good luck and I know you will work it out for both sides.

Your friend in coins,
Rick

Old July 25th 07, 09:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Stacia

[snip]

I think you'll be fine, the buyer has probably just been away from the
computer for a while. They seem to be polite and reasonable and you've
done the right thing in offering the refund. If he worries you, I'd hate
to see what some of the crazies on eBay would do to you! There are some
real nutters out there.

Stacia

Old July 25th 07, 11:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jul 25, 12:28?am, "Steve" wrote:
[...]

Put me on the bench with everyone else. There was a problem, it was
discussed, and a reasonable solution was offered. Communication was
professional all the way. I doubt neg or neutral is even being
considered.

Jerry

Old July 25th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
John Ahnen

Steve, I have been in similar situations, primarily due to my own lack of
digilence. One coin I bought on ebay was a 3-cent silver, when I received
it had an initial scratched on it. When I went back to the auction page, I
was able to faintly see the initial in the pic, but it was not initially
obvious to me. Anyway, I contacted the seller and he offered money back,
but I kept it and left positive.

I think you'll end up with a positive, and the buyer will keep the coin.

John
'a Morgan man'
--
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it." Albert

Old July 25th 07, 01:29 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Steve wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you are having "seller's remorse". :-) If I read your post
right, after offering to refund his money for the coin you then offered to
buy it back from him for what he paid plus a $17.00 profit. If I were him
I would be thinking that either there is something about the coin that I
missed, or that the seller is trying to psych me into keeping the coin.
However, if I truely was not pleased with the appearance of the coin, I
would return it for a retund and leave no feed back.

However, the contest was to guess YOUR decision. It seems to me that YOUR
decision is already made......you want the coin back. I assume that you
have not yet left him any feed back. In that case, if he returns the coin
(or sells it back to you), you will leave a positive feed back. If he keeps
the coin and leaves no feed back, you will also leave none. If he keeps the
coin and leaves a neutral or negative feed back, you will retaliate. My
guess is that he will return the coin......or sell it back to you depending
upon his sense of propriety.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old July 25th 07, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Steve

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
Steve, I have been in similar situations, primarily due to my own lack of
digilence. One coin I bought on ebay was a 3-cent silver, when I received
it had an initial scratched on it. When I went back to the auction page,
was able to faintly see the initial in the pic, but it was not initially
obvious to me. Anyway, I contacted the seller and he offered money back,
but I kept it and left positive.

I think you'll end up with a positive, and the buyer will keep the coin.

John
'a Morgan man'

Thanks John, that's what I was looking for - no advise, just an easily
decipherable guess as to the outcome!

Steve

Old July 25th 07, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured

Steve wrote:

The person who comes closest to guessing the outcome
(my decision) will receive a nice prize appropriate to
their collecting interests ...

snip

Will I ever see the coin again? will I ever hear from
the buyer again? What kind of feedback, if any, will
I get? His return privilege and contest ends close of
business Eastern 7/31/07.

CONTEST ENTRY:

You will see the coin again. The buyer will e-mail you back and accept
your first offer of full refund with shipping. They will decline your
second offer to buy back, considering it unfair. They will give you a
positive feedback.

I'm uncertain on that last one. We'll see.

--Dave