1953 Subway Token - Filled/Solid Y

Old March 7th 05, 10:14 PM
Ron Rodan

Default 1953 Subway Token - Filled/Solid Y

Was curious as to how much the initial 1953 Subway Token was worth.

There is one on Ebay now in rough shape.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have one in MINT condition and wanted to know its value.
Not much info on the net regarding these rare tokens...

Old March 7th 05, 10:46 PM
Steve Grant

"Ron Rodan" wrote in message
Was curious as to how much the initial 1953 Subway Token was worth.

There is one on Ebay now in rough shape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have one in MINT condition and wanted to know its value.
Not much info on the net regarding these rare tokens...

It's neither rare nor particularly valuable. Atwood-Coffee, 5th Edition,
prices it at $0.35.

Old March 7th 05, 11:51 PM
Ron Rodan

I believe you are mis-informed. This is not the 1980-86 version.

It was used from June to September 1953, produced by the Osborne
Coinage Company and Scoville Manufacturing Co. By September, the Y
cutout was used in its place up until 1966.

The one on Ebay is up to $19.95, will see where it goes...

The less common tokens
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:46:32 -0500, "Steve Grant"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 8th 05, 12:03 AM
Steve Grant

"Ron Rodan" wrote in message
I believe you are mis-informed. This is not the 1980-86 version.

You may choose to take the A-C catalog values with a grain of salt -- at
least one eBay bidder seems to have done so. But no, I'm not misinformed.

Old March 8th 05, 07:34 PM
Edward McGrath

Those subway tokens can't be rare because my dad gave me dozens of them.
My dad gave me another NYC token with a diamond shape hole through the
coin, I think it might be a NYC transit authority commem, my dad told me
those tokens were used for a very short time.

Old March 8th 05, 07:40 PM
Edward McGrath

Ron wrote: Was curious as to how much the initial 1953 Subway token was
worth? snip The price was five cents. Ed

Old March 8th 05, 09:53 PM
Steve Grant

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
Ron wrote: Was curious as to how much the initial 1953 Subway token was
worth? snip The price was five cents. Ed

For the record, this past January I bought one of these (NY 630 AN, die
variety "a") from a dealer for $0.50.