Dan Gibson-"boys club collector type"-thanks Russ Forster

Old February 7th 04, 02:31 PM
trippin2-8track

Default Dan Gibson-"boys club collector type"-thanks Russ Forster

Here is an interesting comparison. We have Dan Gibson of the Track
Shack's post, followed by Russ Forster's editorial when he opted out
of 8-track mind, and why he did. Do you see the link ? One reason
Russ opted out, was because of guys like Dan Gibson. (Dan Gibson IS a
"boys club collector type" of person, that Russ refers to)

Here is Dan Gibson's post:

View this article only
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Date: 2004-02-02 15:09:52 PST

Sounds like the author was our very own Charlie Nudo. He is so
fixatedon myself, PB and winnard that he imagines us into everything
he reads.Nudo, you have some serious issues.And to any newbies reading
his posts out there, please keep in mind thatCharlie Nudo
(trippin28tracks here, 66fourdoor on ebay) is a troll whoeffectively
ruined this newsgroup. Virtually nothing he says is true,and he cannot
be trusted. Many of the people who used to frequent thisnewsgroup had
dealings with him, and almost everyone ended up regrettingit. I would
recommend that you not trusty anything he says, nor have anybusiness
dealings with him. Just go review his rants on google groups,and you
decide.Danno

OK, now here is what Russ Forster says:

I was lucky to catch the 8-track underground on film at the moment of
greatest fervency in the mid-'90s. In the late '90s the mail flooding
my P.O. box started to change subtly, becoming more the obsessive
ramblings of boys-club collector types than the effusive outpourings
of true believers. I started inserting myself more in the magazine to
take up space which had earlier been filled to overflowing with
eloquent unsolicited masterpieces. Many of my favorite trackers
drifted away from the fold; one drifted away from this mortal coil.
The thrill was gone and the 8-track underground were moving on with
their lives, with no new generation of true believers to take their
place. I decided that it was time for me to move on as well, and I
made plans to end the magazine 3 years before I actually did it. It's
a whole new 8-track world out there, with tapes selling for hundreds
of dollars over the internet and collectors jockeying for position,
and I intend to walk away from it without bitterness, remembering the
great and wonderful days when I was involved in a magazine which was
truly exploring uncharted territory.
Old February 8th 04, 04:08 PM
trippin2-8track

let's dig back a bit further. Here's where Dan Gibson was doing his
usual killfile blacklisting here, and I objected. Take notice to his
reply to me, as a "newbie". Pretty provincial attitude, Dan. Just what
Russ Forster described, is YOU. My original post, followed by Dan's
reply, from these archives. In Dan's mind, when Dan G. DAMANDS
obedience, the 8-track world must listen, or he will take his ball
home !!

From: Daniel & Kathy Gibson
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Subject: Very Disappointing...
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:11:43 GMT

trippin2-8track wrote:

(Richie Cunningham) wrote in message . com...
...the extent to which too many trackers here have helped to disrupt
and possibly destroy this NG.Some fool who knows nothing about
current-day 8-tracking babbles on & on & on and then you guys
answer him.Every time you respond to his full-of-lies posting,
you are being made a fool of.

At some point we all knew nothing about trackin, if somebody killfiled
us then, back in the '70's, where would we be now ?

The future of this hobby/business lies with new people who discover
and explore the format. If we killfile them, then tracking has no
future. (understand, you people with tracking businesses ?) These
newbies are the ones that go out and buy that old spare deck we no
longer want, and those tapes we already have and don't need. Censoring
people out just makes the hobby that much smaller.

Disagree-ing due to personal opinion and poking fun is one thing,
black listing is another. When newbies log on and see people being
killfiled, they sure as hell aren't going to be eager to post. This
kill file deal is a two edged sword. People can change ya know...

Besides, my delete key works just fine for the email I don't wanna
read. And as for stuff posted here, no one's forcing us to read or
respond to it.

Trippin,

Look, lets tone down the rhetoric for a minute, and think about it.
You
have been posting to this NG for less than a month, which makes you a
REAL newbie. In fact, I am not totally sure that you are not part of
the
DP gang.

Anyway, when the folks that have been on here for years state that a
troll be ignored, and you just keep on posting, well, that also kinda
makes you look suspicious.

I like to think that I have developed a pretty good rep on this NG,
and
I try (like lots of folks do) to make this a cool place to hang out. I
hope that is why you are here too. Wereoboy is fading fast, and will
soon be gone. Please do not hitch your wagon to him.

Anyway, I will not killfile you at this time. Let's see what happens.

Dan
Old February 8th 04, 04:16 PM
trippin2-8track

OK you lurking readers out there, get a load of JOHN WINNARD's reply,
which came directly after DAN GIBSON's above post. Now, remember what
RUSS FORSTER said, about the "boys' collector club types" and the
obsessive email he was getting from them ?? John Winnard and Dan
Gibson make the Win-Gibs. It's all starting to make sense now, isn't
it. Russ QUIT 8-tracking cuz of guys like them ! Here is Winnard's
post. Another "provincial" tracking attitude. These guys have to wake
up and realize, that 8-tracking does not only exist south of
Mason-Dixon. Russ travelled the ENTIRE COUNTRY to make his movie.
Abigail was from NYC.

here's Winnard's reply, again from the archives:

"Yeah Trip, most of us reg's here are really tight. Me and Dan Gibson
are
like brothers,
and Poodlebutt is our step brother. Dan II is the uncle that knows
his
stuff, TC8trax is
like a cousin. Malcolm is the Godfather of 8s, while lennonfan is his
accountant.
The Govner is the keeper of the gate. Not to mention the dozens of
cool guys
here. Step on any of their toes, and you've shot yourself in the left
kidney.

winnard"
Old February 10th 04, 03:18 PM
trippin2-8track

OK, you closet lurkers out there, here's my next installment of the
life and times of the "pad and foil" cartel of 8-tracking, or the 3
Stooges Pad & Foil, as I like to call them. Below you will find Paul
Evan's own business interests in the sensing foil dept. I'll let his
post from the archives speak for itself. Perhaps now the neophyte
tracker will realize why they were so theatened by me, when I stated
Walmart foil and Scotch tape work also ?? You be the judge.

Kick back, mix up a drink, crack open a Miller, roll a joint,
whatever. Now, on to the post, and good day !

"From: )
Subject: another note: Wanted: tape pads
Original Format
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Date: 2000/06/03

I forgot to mention something, too. I got a big, big push when I began
8-tracking. At the time, I was worse than a student. I was a grad
school dropout living in an expensive college town, earning my
all-time
high of $17,000 after two years of $8200 (before tuition). And a
Christian gentleman with whom I was well acquainted through academia
let me have the run of his 3-2 (on one of the most beautiful smaller-
sized lots I have yet to see) for 5 months while he was off on
academic
leave.

And all that money I didn't spend on rent, I put into 8-tracks. In a
town where minimum rent for 1 is $300/month.

And I didn't get the gig by being pushy about my personal agnostic
beliefs, or by wearing them on my sleeve.

(He himself, along with his humble and modest family, had once
received
a red-carpet, all-expenses paid tour---yes, tour, in a Rolls limo---of
Jordan, at the behest of the late King Hussein; the king was deeply
touched by the good sir's correspondence, which expressed admiration
for the King's efforts to avert the Persian Gulf war through
diplomatic
means.

I doubt his letterhead read, "Islam Sucks, Christianity Rules.")

Think about it, motard: when you make unnecessary jibes at people
("very overpriced"), ("Religion is obsolete"), you do not enhance the
likelihood that others will go out uf their way for you.

And concerning the prices, I'd be happy to be quite frank with you, on
a similar topic on which I am more qualified to testify to, namely
sensing foil. When I bought out all of Tandy's remaining warehouse
stock of it, I (or my wife and I, rather) had less than $200 in the
bank. I got the rest through a university emergency loan. (Yes, that's
right, while I was a student, numbnuts.) I took a big, nervous,
whopping risk on that stuff. Especially when, upon pickup, I
discovered
that it was all still unpackaged, which seems to affect the value as
far as some muttonheads are concerned. You're damn right I've made a
profit! But it took me a lot of salesmanship and two months of calling
everyone possible at Tandy to locate the stash in the first place
before I saw any of it. I don't think anybody else has been hurt by
the
fact that I make some money of it.

John's got an awesome product. He has never raised the price, even
after he perfected the originals, which did the job just as well. And
I'm sure it took effort, just as they no doubt take effort to produce,
and I wouldn't be surprised if he feared at one point that he might be
wasting his time. If you want to push your Hints from Heloise pads
tip,
fine. I have no problem with that. But why is it that you act like an
asshole unnecessarily, and then cry foul when you get slammed for it?"
Old February 10th 04, 03:22 PM
trippin2-8track

And now, Russ Forster's observations again. Let's keep it in
perspective. Now, it all begins to make sense, doesn't it. (thanks
Russ, you are the epitome of the true 8-track mind. Look up cool and
there's a picture of you in my book. I'm playing a Shania Twain "Up"
bootleg in my Pioneer now, that I made myself and put my own label on-
in your tribute. Before that was a Jefferson Airplane home made tape I
got from someone. I have the authorized one, but why even look for it,
when I have this one right here. wink)

[...]
truly exploring uncharted territory." Russ Forster