New $5 and $10 Bills?

Old October 15th 03, 08:57 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Default New $5 and $10 Bills?

I have been hearing that redesigning the $5 and $10 bills was being considered.
Does anyone have any idea when they will reach the decission? I am hoping that
they will be redesigned so that we don't have three different designs
circulating (old $1 and $2 bills, current $5 and $10 bills, and new $20 $50 and
$100 bills)

Tom
Old October 15th 03, 02:28 PM
ELurio

From Tom: I am hoping that
they will be redesigned so that we don't have three different designs
circulating (old $1 and $2 bills, current $5 and $10 bills, and new $20 $50 and
$100 bills) BRBR

Why? Variety is the spice of life. I've seen old fives tens an twenties all in
the last month, so it's possible to see different designs of pretty much
everything.

When I was a kid, all the bills looked the same from a distance, but in fact
had different designs.

The ones were either silver certificates, of FRNs, the twos and fives were
either FRNs, Silver certificates, or national notes and I'm not too sure about
higher ups, but each had a slightly different design.

In pre-euro Europe, they would change designs every few years and the bills
would then be demonitized.

eric l.
Old October 15th 03, 02:43 PM
Fred Shecter

Everything is on the BEP website.

-Fred Shecter

--
""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Old October 15th 03, 04:03 PM
Bob Flaminio

Fred Shecter wrote:
Everything is on the BEP website.

Yes, and quoting from the

The most noticeable difference in the new $20 notes is the subtle green,
peach and blue colors featured in the background. New designs for the
$50 and $100 notes are scheduled for introduction in 2004 and 2005,
respectively. Different colors will be used for different denominations,
which will help everyone – particularly those who are visually
impaired – to tell denominations apart. Redesign of the $5 and $10 notes
is under consideration, but the $1 and $2 notes will not be redesigned.

So, $50s next year, $100s the year after, $5 & $10 maybe (but certainly
not sooner than 2006), $1 & $2 nope.

Not covered: potential discontinuation of $1 & $2 in favor of coinage,
and the reintroduction of larger denomination notes (perhaps $200 &
$500).

--
Bob

Old October 15th 03, 06:06 PM
Coin Saver

From: malanutt4life

I have been hearing that redesigning the $5 and $10 bills was being

considered.

This seems unlikely anytime soon; they're already printing "un-re-designed"
Series 2003 $10.oo FRNs

8-/

Coin Saver
Old October 16th 03, 01:46 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Yeah, I know they are printing Series 2003 $10s, but they only last about two
years and thats plenty of time for those $10s to wear out since theymost likely
wouldn't be redesigned until possibly 2006. I hope so, anyway.

Tom