8-Track Thursday now available in WINDOWS MEDIA from WQMA!

Old October 28th 05, 02:14 AM
bicycle

Default Retalitory feedback.

66FOURDOOR wrote:
WWW- let me elaborate on DB's alleged "twice" accusations...

alignment tape, he returned for full refund

SWTR video, he returned one, got another, and decided to keep it- but
could have got a refund on that one too, if he wanted

so much for "ripped of-TWICE"

notice the "of" (sic)

It's [sic], not (sic), Einstein. Clown College rears it's ugly head
again.

Old October 28th 05, 02:23 AM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Oct 2005 15:48:24 -0700, "WWW" wrote:

On the 8 track front. I recently found The Byrds' Farther Along
cart, thus completing all of the Byrd's discography that matters. Not
including any of the reunion or preflytey things. Turn, Turn, Turn and
Untitled are two that I have had from when the format sold shoulder to
shoulder with the LP. snip

How does it sound? I got that cart as well, and it sounds like it was
recorded through a garden hose...awful! Of course, with 8 tracks,
about 50% of bad sounding carts are caused by wear and lack of
maintenance, so it's anyone's guess as to how a "sealed" one would
sound.

Recently, I picked up a nice looking "banana yellow" Ampex Jethro Tull
"Aqualung," only to find that it had been loaded with Scotch 153
tape...the dark oxide stuff that melts into a sticky goo if exposed to
moisture for long periods of time. I got the pancake out and baked
it, and it sounded quite good...until I came to the splice! Turns
out, it was a factory defect...the splice occurs about 8 seconds AFTER
the control tone for the slave deck! Thus, program 1 starts for a few
seconds, then KACHANGs into program 2! Not to worry...I have the CD,
but wow...talk about sloppy QC!

dB
Old October 28th 05, 02:25 AM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Oct 2005 18:14:23 -0700, "bicycle"
wrote:

66FOURDOOR wrote:
WWW- let me elaborate on DB's alleged "twice" accusations...

alignment tape, he returned for full refund snip

True, but that doesn't evicerate the UNDERLYING CRIME OF FRAUD he
perpetrates with these counterfeit tapes.

SWTR video, he returned one, got another, and decided to keep it- but
could have got a refund on that one too, if he wanted snip

Outright LIE. I never got but one from him, and then I unloaded bad
feedback on him for the lousy phony copy. His account was closed
about a month later, after I started raising hell about Charlie Nudo
in here and to Russ Forster.

so much for "ripped of-TWICE" snip

I was.

notice the "of" (sic) snip

As he says, it's [sic], moron. Now..can you tell me what [sic] means,
without cheating? No, of course not. Your low educational level
won't permit you ti know, and your low morals will tell you to cheat.

Charlie Nudo..."Il Nudo del Fraudo"

dB
Old October 28th 05, 05:45 AM
WWW

Sounds okay for it's age. Better than the scratchy LP version I
have. I have yet to change the pad, so it can only get better. The
Byrds at that time were sort of on the downward slide. Clarence White
to the contrary.
What exactly is the pancake? Aside from the flapjack I enjoy doused
in maple syrup, of course.

Old October 28th 05, 06:00 AM
WWW

Oh, as to sound. I am one of those folks with a not too discerning
ear. Most any of the formats played through a decent system sound the
same to me. A clock radio surely sounds bad. Those little cassette tape
decks sounded bad.
The sloppy QC you speak of is a "charming" aspect of the 8 track,
no? That, and the kachang.
Oh, I found a nice clock radio/8 track unit the other day. All
functions work. These units are very scarce here in Winnipeg, but there
seem to be some on Ebay. I have another one that actually loads the
cart when the wake up time is reached. It's clock is erratic. This new
one, the cart just sits there. It almost seemed like it was spinning
while it awaited the wake up time but that seems unlikely to have been
the design. Man I hate figuring out these audio units.

Old October 28th 05, 12:03 PM
66FOURDOOR

the clock radio 8-tracks well fairly well on ebay due to rarity

Old October 28th 05, 01:26 PM
bicycle

66FOURDOOR wrote:
the clock radio 8-tracks well fairly well on ebay due to rarity

"well fairly well"? Better contact that community college for a refund.

Old October 28th 05, 01:49 PM
66FOURDOOR

typo-"w" and "s" key right near each other...

you better go back to welfare troll school...

Old October 28th 05, 06:50 PM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Oct 2005 21:45:36 -0700, "WWW" wrote:

What exactly is the pancake? Aside from the flapjack I enjoy doused
in maple syrup, of course. snip

"Pancake," in audio tape circles, refers to the packed spool of tape
on any format, sans its reel. Most tape in use in studuio
environments was bought in "pancake" format...no reel, just a hub wiht
the tape packed on it in a flat cardboard box. The recording engineer
(or, more usually, his gofer/head cleaner/janitor) would screw flanges
from another reel onto the hub, load it onto a machine an "break it
in," which means to FF to the "tail" of the tape, run an alignment
tone "pad" consisting of usually three tones (100 Hz, 1 KHz and 10
KHz) at a given reference, and then rewind back to the "head" of the
tape to start a session. The "pancake" in an 8 track cart, of course,
would be the wound up spool of tape. One can easily remove a pancake
from any reel simply by pulling enough tape out of the hub manually
without winding the excess back onto the outside, and simply turning
the reel table over onto a piece of cardboard or whatever. I baked my
pancakes on a sheet of Pyrex plate in a scientific oven, as per usual
practice. I can surely spot Scotch tape, especially the later "dark"
oxides...they stink to high heavens, especially when hot!

dB
Old October 28th 05, 06:51 PM
DeserTBoB

On 28 Oct 2005 05:26:32 -0700, "bicycle"
wrote:

66FOURDOOR wrote:
the clock radio 8-tracks well fairly well on ebay due to rarity

"well fairly well"? Better contact that community college for a refund. snip

Surely, you mean "clown college," correct?

dB