rec.flame.michael adams

Old September 13th 03, 06:48 PM
Htn963

"diane.walker" wrote:

"Bob F." wrote in message
"diane.walker" wrote
I think this has gone far enough.
You gave me abuse once Mr Hardy Boy, your attitude and comments make me
think you read to many of those kids books you sell.

Actually, I've probably read all the kid's books I sell but I don't recall
ever reading TO them!
Just calm down and don't get your frilly little panties all in a bunch
sweetie.
Your not only a prat, but you also sound like a pervert. Sells kids books,

and thinks about frilly little panties.

Now *that* is below the belt.

Your posts are enjoyable Ms. Walker, but could I ask you to put a space
between your reply and your quotations and not merge them together in the
future?

--
Ht

|Any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore
never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
--John Donne, "Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions"|
Old September 13th 03, 06:55 PM
Htn963

"Bob F." wrote:

"diane.walker" wrote
Your not only a prat, but you also sound like a pervert. Sells kids

books,
and thinks about frilly little panties.

Oh now you've done it.
You've flamed me and I'm so crushed I can hardly bear up under the strain.
Are all Brits as humorless as you and that other asshole, Adams?

Not all of them. Quite a few are laidback and some even surprised me by
even more jovial and open than most Americans: I had one Brit acquaintaince on
another newsgroup emailed me to ask if I was allright since he didn't see me
post for a month after 9-11.

But don't get me started about Australians. Better Brit humorlessness
than Australian humor...shudder.

Old September 13th 03, 08:56 PM
Tom

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate?
Want to buy ...
For sale ...
For auction ...
For trade .
Visit my commercial website.

Michael,

It's perfectly appropriate to place info about one's commercial

websiate
below the .sig line.

I'm sorry you've lost me here

The Original Charter makes no mention of URLs at all.

The FAQ only makes two mentions of Websites -

1.6 How Do I Advertise My Cool Website?
Add the information below your "signature". It is considered rude
to just blurt out an ad, but if you join in the discussions people
will see the information, and be more interested in visiting as well.

So its simply considered "rude" to just blurt out a link to a "Cool
Website" .

while

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate?

Visit my commercial website.

So that Posting a link to a commercial website is deemed
inappropriate.

But if they're "inappropriate" according to 1.3, how can they
merely become "rude" if they're just blurted out, as in 1.8 ?

You can see my difficulty here I take it?

Because I can only assume that a "Cool" website in this context,
must be a reference to a "personal", "non commercial" website.

If you wish to amend your FAQ so as to address, what appears to
me at least, to be a glaring anomoly, then you are of course
perfectly entitled to do so.

atb

michael adams

Do you ever consider that you could be wrong/misinterpreting. Everyone else
seems to get it!

Tom L-M who is not a teaboy

Old September 13th 03, 09:20 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"michael adams" wrote:

The Original Charter makes no mention of URLs at all.

That's because there weren't any (or many) at the time the charter was
conceived. See the discussion and my comnments in one of the otehr
threads answering another comment that you made.

So its simply considered "rude" to just blurt out a link to a "Cool
Website" .

Yeah. The important wording is "blurt out" as in "out of contexct to the
current discussion." Thus it would be perfectly appropriate to say in
the context of a discussion on the Modern Library "This issue has been
covered in detail at http://web address here of my website page dealing
with the current issue". The whole idea is context: What forwards the
action of the action of the discussion, and what contributes to the
collector's interest, is appropriate.

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate?

Visit my commercial website.

Out of context, this would be inappropriate, where the entire direction
and purpose of the post is to sell somebody something.

Context is all.

Because I can only assume that a "Cool" website in this context,
must be a reference to a "personal", "non commercial" website.

Not necessarily. If the discussion is, say, about the med fact that
there are only five French/Hindi dictionaries in existence, and somebody
knows about a commercial website that lists thirty French/Hindi
dictionaries, it would be perfectly appropriate to include the URL to
the list.

It all has to do with context and intent.

Scot Kamins
--
Collecting the Modern Library 1917-1970
Modern Library Collecting Website at:
Old September 13th 03, 09:32 PM
Bob F.

"michael adams" wrote
I'm sorry you've lost me here

It certainly doesn't take much to confuse you, does it?
Every other person here understands what apparently causes your little pea
brain to freeze up from overload.
You hedgehog, you putrid bag of excrement, you illegitimate son of a
fishmonger, you molester of alter boys, you sniffer of bicycle seats, you
fart in church, you nincompoop, you blathering buffoon, you moron, you
uncouth baboon, you simpering sissy.

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old September 13th 03, 11:23 PM
William M. Klimon

"michael adams" wrote in message

1.6 How Do I Advertise My Cool Website?
Add the information below your "signature". It is considered rude
to just blurt out an ad, but if you join in the discussions people
will see the information, and be more interested in

--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page
http://www.Hardy-Boys.net

La De Da -

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate?
Want to buy ...
For sale ...
For auction ...
For trade …
Visit my commercial website.

New & Out Of Print Books, Books-On-Tape, Videos, DVDs, CD-ROMs For
Sale
http://users.arczip.com/fwdixon/hbsale.htm
To reply: replace nospam with fwdixon
.................................................. ...................

Oops!

You're failing to follow one of the primary canons of construction: that all
the provisions of a document must be given effect and must be interpreted,
if possible, so as not to contradict one another.

In this case, we have a prohibition of "visit my commercial website" posts
and a permission to include website advertisements in a signature. The
apparent contradiction is quite easily resolved by close attention to the
words. A post is not a signature. A post the substance of which is "visit
my commercial website" is not permitted. But an otherwise substantive post
may conclude with a signature that contains a website, even a commercial
website, advert.

Q.E.D.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old September 14th 03, 05:25 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
"michael adams" wrote:

1.6 How Do I Advertise My Cool Website?
Hi there. I'm Jeremy Newbie and I live in Croydon. Just this year
I've competed my collection of books about Marine Chronometers
which I've put on my website

http://aol/members/chronometerbooks.com/

This is REALLY getting tiresome, but I'll take one more stab at it goint
under the preposterously optimistic assumption that you're genuinely
after knowledge and understanding, as opposed to just trying to prove
what a good lawyer you'd make.

It was the intent of that element of the FAQ (as anyone would plainly
understand if s/he were to look at these elements in the context of the
whole) to prevent the presentation of off-topic websites ("My Really
Neat Model Railroad Collection") as opposed to websites of interest to
collectors of books (such as the one you use in your example). This
element to the FAQ was added for newbies to Usenet who might not
undertstand the concept of off-opic postings.

Does that clear it up???

Scot Kamins
Old September 14th 03, 06:38 PM
William M. Klimon

"michael adams" wrote in message

I'm sorry but you're simply begging the question here. You're
automatically
assuming that signature links to commercial www sites are legitimate,
whereas I'm quite clearly suggesting that they're not according to the
terms of the FAQ

This is my last word on the subject:

I'm not assuming anything; I'm reading the charter. You're assuming "cool"
websites do not include commercial websites. The charter doesn't say that.
It says "cool" websites and since "cool" is indefinable and subject only to
personal judgment, it is clearly surplusage and can be ignored in
interpreting the document. So any website may be "advertised" (which of
course strongly implies a commercial purpose) in a sig.

Therefore, we have:

(1) No commercial posts.

(2) In a legit post, a poster may conclude with a sig that includes a
website address.

This is the universal understanding. You're welcome to your private
opinion, but don't expect anyone else to subscribe.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Old September 14th 03, 11:40 PM
Kris Baker

"michael adams" wrote in message

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it does nothing of the kind.
A *personal website* is advertised to the exact same extent by
being posted on a Newsgroup, as is a *commercial website*

All *advertising* means, is bringing something to people's
attention. It has no bearing whatsoever, on the nature of
whatever it is that's being being advertised.

Are you, by any chance, related to Frank Provasek?

Kris

Old September 15th 03, 08:02 PM
John Pelan

"michael adams" wrote in message ...
"William M. Klimon" wrote in
message news:bWg9b.174530$xf.20991@lakeread04...

"michael adams" wrote in message

I was done--but you've made just too easy a target and I don't
want your errors to stand uncorrected:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but it does nothing of the kind.
A *personal website* is advertised to the exact same extent by
being posted on a Newsgroup, as is a *commercial website*

All *advertising* means, is bringing something to people's
attention. It has no bearing whatsoever, on the nature of
whatever it is that's being being advertised.

"Advertise" does mean announce--with strong commercial implications:

http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?bo...y&va=advertise
http://www.bartleby.com/61/55/A0105500.html

I didn't choose to press this particular point to be honest, as it
didn't really seem to be all that important.

However, as I apparently make such an easy target for you, and your'e
so keen to point out my errors to me -

So you're now claiming are you, that this NewsGroup actually
solicits and welcomes commercial advertisements?

Because if so, it's about the only NewsGroup on Usenet which ever
has. Willingly at least.

Unlike say, the For Sale and Wanted Announcements which feature
in the many NewsGroups which have been specifically set for
that purpose.

I'm sorry but 1.3 simply doesn't prohibit *commercial posts* in
general.

It very specifically, prohibits posts with links to *commercial
websites*.

Wrong: "All commercial messages are inappropriate for this newsgroup":

http://www.massmedia.com/~mikeb/rcb/#2

The FAQ goes on to list many examples of commercial messages.

I'm sorry but you see, you once again prove my point for me.

If posts containing links to commercial websites are already
expressly forbidden under the general provision -

"All commercial messages are inappropriate for this newsgroup":

Then why is it necessary to have a special prohibition covering
invitations to visit commercial websites at all?

1.3 What Kind of Posts are Inappropriate
Visit my commercial website.

You claim, wrongly as it happens, that I am an easy target. Whereas
I can categoricaly affirm that you are a very elusive target indeed.

Who repeatedy refuses to answer the very simplest of questions
which I repeatedly put to you.

So I can only ask you once again, if you would be so kind -

Why is clause 1.3 of the FAQ thought necessary at all?

michael adams

Are you so obtuse that you don't understand the difference between a
commercial announcement such as "Check out my KEWL eBay auction!!!"
and a signature which may indeed convey the idea that something is for
sale or something is desired for purchase? The former is an unwelcome
announcement, the latter a polite way of conveying an invitation to
those who may be interested in further discussion.

Let's go real slowly so you can follow along: Kamins collects The
Modern Library, his signature line conveys this. He doesn't come
screaming on to the ng with a want-list and offers of money. His
signature informs one and all in a polite unobtrusive manner as to his
interests. Mine does the same, as does Bob's, as does William's, as
does Jessica's...

I suspect that this is not lost on you and that you are a simple
garden-variety troll, a bit more well-read than most, but still just a
troll.

Good day,

John Pelan
www.darksidepress.com (a commercial website)

Connie Nielsen/Julie Adams Response Bcoton Autographs 0 June 28th 04 07:09 PM
Don Adams Goblin Autographs 0 May 26th 04 06:02 PM
Julie Adams rtrn- address needed Bcoton Autographs 0 February 10th 04 03:17 AM
rhonda adams Mark S. Autographs 1 January 8th 04 03:12 AM
Jane Adams (born 1965) Gunther Autographs 3 August 1st 03 04:16 AM