For Auction: 1938 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' T.E. Lawrence

Old February 2nd 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default For Auction: 1938 'Seven Pillars of Wisdom' T.E. Lawrence

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:36:42 -0600, Jon Meyers
wrote:

Nunya Biz wrote:
Bitch, this is a public news group. I can post whatever the hell I
want. Go **** yourself.

My, my, my....aren't trolls just SO much fun! They add such spice to
the same old, boring, intelligent conversation prelevant in newsgroups
like these.

But, I'm afraid Mommy-wommy wants her computer back now. Not to
worry, though, I'm sure a repeat of your favorite episode of The Power
Rangers is on Nickleodeon.

Now, when you grow big and strong, and Mommy lets you stay up late
(say, past 9 pm), AND when you learn BIG words that have more than two
syllables, we might even enter into polite conversation with you.

So off you go...make sure you brush your teeth, and don't forget to
put your pimple cream on. Nighty, night!

Michael
Old February 3rd 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Nunya Biz wrote:
You are a mean old man with too much time on his hands.

Actually, that should be "time on _your_ hands." Weren't thinking,
were you?

David Ames

Old February 3rd 06, 10:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

"David Ames" wrote...
Nunya Biz wrote:
You are a mean old man with too much time on his hands.

Actually, that should be "time on _your_ hands." Weren't thinking,
were you?

Harsh. Either way works grammatically. The semantic difference
revolves around whether the "time on his hands" aspect is fundamental to
his concept of you (the way he phrased it) or a secondary aspect (your
phrasing).

I hope this assists.

Matti

Old February 5th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Matti Lamprhey wrote:
"David Ames" wrote...
Nunya Biz wrote:
You are a mean old man with too much time on his hands.

Actually, that should be "time on _your_ hands." Weren't thinking,
were you?

Harsh. Either way works grammatically. The semantic difference
revolves around whether the "time on his hands" aspect is fundamental to
his concept of you (the way he phrased it) or a secondary aspect (your
phrasing).

I hope this assists.

Matti

Hyva Matti,

The man wrote harsh and insulting words to this forum. So he ought not
to be addressed harshly. I understand. He intermixes second-person
and third-person constructs, when third-person is the person spoken
*about*, and his words represented the person spoken *to*. Perhaps my
eighth- and ninth-grade education was seriously defective. Only you
can judge.

David Ames

Old February 5th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"David Ames" wrote...
Matti Lamprhey wrote:
"David Ames" wrote...
Nunya Biz wrote:
You are a mean old man with too much time on his hands.

Actually, that should be "time on _your_ hands." Weren't
thinking, were you?

Harsh. Either way works grammatically. The semantic difference
revolves around whether the "time on his hands" aspect is
fundamental to his concept of you (the way he phrased it) or a
secondary aspect (your phrasing).

I hope this assists.

Hyva Matti,

The man wrote harsh and insulting words to this forum. So he ought
not to be addressed harshly. I understand. He intermixes
second-person and third-person constructs, when third-person is the
person spoken *about*, and his words represented the person spoken
*to*. Perhaps my eighth- and ninth-grade education was seriously
defective. Only you can judge.

Thanks for providing the evidence to permit me to do so!

Matti

Old February 6th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

David Ames and Matti Lamprhey have been wrangling over

You are a mean old man with too much time on his hands.

The OP was an idiot but, grammatically, there is nothing wrong with the
above.

[you] is the subject; [are] is the verb; [a mean old man with too much time
on his hands] is a noun phrase (composed of article, adjectives, noun head
and prepositional phrase) following the verb.

The sense is that there is a mean old man with time on his hands, and the
person addressed is that man.

Compa

"You are a mean old man who has too much time on his hands."

Here the relative clause introduced by "who" must refer to the "mean old
man" and hence it must be "his hands" and cannot be "your hands".

David's alternative - "You are a mean old man with time on your hands" - is
equally correct, but breaks down grammatically as:

[you] subject; [are] verb; [a mean old man] noun phrase; [with time on your
hands] prepositional phrase.

The sense is that the person addressed is (1) a mean old man and (2) has
time on his hands.

[Sigh] Must get a life!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old February 6th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

おおい、 ぼく の要が聞き糺したと思わないの。
Old February 6th 06, 06:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Nunya Biz" wrote in message
oups.com...

???? ?? ???????????????

That's the most intelligent thing you've said yet.

Kris

Old February 6th 06, 08:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Kris Baker wrote:
"Nunya Biz" wrote...

???? ?? ???????????????

That's the most intelligent thing you've said yet.

Babelfish translated it as: "You do not think that the cover and my main
point heard and corrected."

--Jon Meyers
Old February 6th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Kris Baker wrote:

"Nunya Biz" wrote

That's the most intelligent thing you've said yet.

It was in Japanese. It said, "Ooi, boku no kaname ga kiki tada****a to
omowanai no."

So now you know!

--